Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    robertw486 wrote: »
    As for the original link and thought from @lizery I personally think it gives a really good visual representation of how calories are only equal in the energy measurement sense.

So one food is not the same as another food. Everyone knows that, I think. No one disagrees about that, which is why I think the idea that we need to be told it is so odd.

Some people use "calories" as a synonym for food and therefore think that when someone says "a calorie is a calorie" they are saying all foods are the same, food choice doesn't matter. But no one thinks that, really. Those who say "a calorie is a calorie" don't think it is helpful to confuse a unit of measurement and the food that provides that unit of measurement.

Let's say my TDEE is 2200. A calorie is a calorie means that if I regularly eat about 2500 calories I will gain weight, no matter how nutrient dense my diet is, or even if I avoid added sugar or whatever else people think is a "bad food." It also means I would maintain my weight eating 2200 calories, whether made up of those nutrient dense food choices or mostly fries and cake (not that it makes sense to assume that I would).

Am I thereby saying that eating a nutrient-dense balanced diet is the same as eating the same number of calories from only fries and cake? Obviously not! So the question is why would any think they need to correct this misapprehension that no one has. I find it quite puzzling and rather presumptuous, insulting to my intelligence, in fact.

Nobody here is taking in energy in other than food form, so all calories in impact the nutrition side in some way. If calories could be absorbed into the human body without nutrients of some sort, it would to me make more sense to isolate the terms. But in either case it's the simple semantics of a persons view.

The idea is not that food needs to be broken down into isolated components, but that the purposes behind pursuing these components can be achieved both synergistically and independently. Tying the purpose of wanting to control energy intake (calories) and the purpose of wanting to avoid nutrient deficiencies (nutrients) with a strict "iff" is inaccurate (it's a fact that you can get adequate nutrients without the energy side of food going in the direction you want and vice versa), and it may introduce a rigid fear-driven system that may not be sustainable or even effective.

I don't know how to better explain this so I will give an example:
    Eating as a social ritual provides energy, so we are not really isolating energy here, but the purpose of social connection is a stand alone idea and is not seen as a strict necessity for the purpose of weight management. In my mind, food as a source of nutrients (health) is the same, a stand alone concept that happens to share a source.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ I second this.

I DID NOT know about energy balance.

Its embarrassing, I admit. I'm 50 how did I miss it?

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ I second this.

I DID NOT know about energy balance.

Its embarrassing, I admit. I'm 50 how did I miss it?
    I was in my 30s before I learned what it meant. I grew up surrounded by overweight family members who jumped from one fad diet to the next one, but there was never any understanding of how CICO actually works. Now I'm the only one in my family who does calorie tracking for weight control and I'm the only one who's successfully maintaining weight loss. I'm also the only one who's reversed the progression of pre-diabetes (family tree is full of type 2 diabetics).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm grateful I started off knowing how to count calories and what a healthy diet looks like though. I never realized how fortunate I was to be "forced" to cook and eat proper food growing up. Threads asking things like how to drink water, eat vegetables or what's a healthy dinner drive home how much harder my experience could have been.

I second this. I was pretty sheltered in some ways, as some of those things have been pretty shocking to me, as our normal, boring meals were pretty nutritionally-sound, looking back, and my parents insisted that we eat vegetables, which meant I learned to like them. (I liked them much more when I learned to cook them for myself as an adult and didn't have to have as many from a can, but part of that was geography and what was available and reasonably priced back then.) When I was first living alone as a young adult in the big city I was overwhelmed and excited by all the order in/take out options (not just pizza or Chinese, whee!), and also had a social life and job that allowed for lots of dining out in good restaurants, but when I realized that it would be better for lots of reasons to do more home cooking it was nice to have it be not totally intimidating, even though learning to do it nightly and with minimal time available was something that took a bit of effort and practice.

I think I knew theoretically about calories, but hadn't really learned about them or thought about it, and I did think in terms of eating healthy (meaning low cal) foods and that I'd have to be really restrictive and eat only tiny amounts. When I realized I could save lots of calories and eat healthfully and low cal enough to lose while eating basically what I'd grown up thinking of as normal (and could make that even more tasty by getting into cooking and seasonable vegetables and so on), well, it seemed amazing and exciting. Before that, educated as I was about some things, my assumption really was that I'd have to follow one of those diets from a magazine or eat only vegetables or some such. Seems goofy now, but important to remember when I get frustrated.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I knew all about energy balance, I learned it in 9th grade health class. I actually found MFP by googling for a calorie counting excel sheet -- it being modern times and all I figured there was probably an easier way of counting calories than a notebook and pen. :p I'd never been on a "fad" diet in my life but here I am eating LCHF because calorie counting wasn't sustainable.

I'm grateful I started off knowing how to count calories and what a healthy diet looks like though. I never realized how fortunate I was to be "forced" to cook and eat proper food growing up. Threads asking things like how to drink water, eat vegetables or what's a healthy dinner drive home how much harder my experience could have been.

I was homeschooled-my obese mother, who's been a yo-yo dieter since she was a kid and also struggles with binge eating, neglected to include nutrition classes into the curriculum :p
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I love that we can all acknowledge that a kilogram is a kilogram or a pound is a pound, in the literal sense that they are each units of measurement (mass) and have civilised discussion regarding illustrative images such as this:

ajxemd9vw2xp.jpeg

(not my picture, Internet image for demonstrative purposes only)

... however the same sort of exploration of the value of a calorie beyond being a unit of energy and how it applies to weight loss and health turns to chaos.

• crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    lizery wrote: »
    I love that we can all acknowledge that a kilogram is a kilogram or a pound is a pound, in the literal sense that they are each units of measurement (mass) and have civilised discussion regarding illustrative images such as this:

ajxemd9vw2xp.jpeg

(not my picture, Internet image for demonstrative purposes only)

... however the same sort of exploration of the value of a calorie beyond being a unit of energy and how it applies to weight loss and health turns to chaos.

I'm confused what your point is? A calorie is a unit of measurement like a kilogram, agreed, and that's why that statement that you take such issue with "a calorie is a calorie" is accurate. A calorie is nothing more to weight loss than a unit of energy. Are you saying otherwise? How does the pic you are now posting relate to the original pic and the subsequent discussion about overall diet? I don't think this discussion is chaos, i think it has largely been civil and good points made from different perspectives.

I'm saying a calories (a unit of energy) can have different value to a body in a nutritional sense. I have never at all made reference in this conversation to this my comments on calories being just about weight loss.

Just as a kilogram lost or gained could affect a body differently depending on what is made of. Hence that analogy.

I don't 'take such issue' with anything,

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    lizery wrote: »
    I'm saying a calories (a unit of energy) can have different value to a body in a nutritional sense.

I really do think this is the essence of the misunderstanding, if there is one. A "calorie" is just energy. You are referring to the nutrition that comes with the food (micronutrients or macronutrients), which is why I keep saying you are using "calories" as if it were slang for "food," which people do, of course, but is not how it's meant in "a calorie is a calorie."

I bet if you asked people if they think foods are all equal for nutritional purposes they'd say "no." I certainly would.

It's like saying "a litre is a litre". It's true, regardless of whether one is a litre of oil and the other a litre of water.
  • sydney_bosque
    sydney_bosque Posts: 42 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Look, I have a degree in organic produce, and have since studied a LOT about nutrition.

All calories are not equal. That's like saying, "A pound is a pound!" When you lose weight. No. You could lose a pound of fat, and that would be awesome. Or, you could lose a pound of muscle, which is horrible. It's much more complex.

Put simply, the type of calories we eat determine how well our systems function. And, primarily important to weight loss, they determine blood sugar and insulin levels, along with other hormones that basically decide how you will use a calorie.

Bottom line: A calorie from white bread or refined sugar is most efficiently stored in your body as reserve energy in the form of glucose. Guess what the organ is for energy storage? Yep. Fat cells.

However, a calorie that comes from broccoli takes nearly double the energy to convert it into glucose, and is much more efficiently broken down into usable vitamins and minerals. Therefore, 100 calories from a donut will go directly to your waist. 100 calories from a vegetable will go towards fueling your systems. Mainly your excretory system; which is what actually gets stuff out of storage in your fat cells and eliminated from the body.

So, no. A calorie is not just a calorie.
  • sydney_bosque
    sydney_bosque Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Look, I have a degree in organic produce, and have since studied a LOT about nutrition.

All calories are not equal. That's like saying, "A pound is a pound!" When you lose weight. No. You could lose a pound of fat, and that would be awesome. Or, you could lose a pound of muscle, which is horrible. It's much more complex.

Put simply, the type of calories we eat determine how well our systems function. And, primarily important to weight loss, they determine blood sugar and insulin levels, along with other hormones that basically decide how you will use a calorie.

Bottom line: A calorie from white bread or refined sugar is most efficiently stored in your body Mas reserve energy in the form of glucose. Guess what the organ is for energy storage? Yep. Fat cells.

However, a calorie that comes from broccoli takes nearly double the energy to convert it into glucose, and is much more efficiently broken down into usable vitamins and minerals. Therefore, 100 calories from a donut will go directly to your waist. 100 calories from a vegetable will go towards fueling your systems. Mainly your excretory system; which is what actually gets stuff out of storage in your fat cells and eliminated from the body.

So, no. A calorie is not just a calorie.

I can't wait when they tear this post to shreds because you're wrong.

And your professional education on the matter is...?