A calorie is a calorie ...

Options

Replies

• sydney_bosque
    sydney_bosque Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Look, I have a degree in organic produce, and have since studied a LOT about nutrition.

All calories are not equal. That's like saying, "A pound is a pound!" When you lose weight. No. You could lose a pound of fat, and that would be awesome. Or, you could lose a pound of muscle, which is horrible. It's much more complex.

Put simply, the type of calories we eat determine how well our systems function. And, primarily important to weight loss, they determine blood sugar and insulin levels, along with other hormones that basically decide how you will use a calorie.

Bottom line: A calorie from white bread or refined sugar is most efficiently stored in your body Mas reserve energy in the form of glucose. Guess what the organ is for energy storage? Yep. Fat cells.

However, a calorie that comes from broccoli takes nearly double the energy to convert it into glucose, and is much more efficiently broken down into usable vitamins and minerals. Therefore, 100 calories from a donut will go directly to your waist. 100 calories from a vegetable will go towards fueling your systems. Mainly your excretory system; which is what actually gets stuff out of storage in your fat cells and eliminated from the body.

So, no. A calorie is not just a calorie.

What's a "degree in organic produce"?
    Look, I have a degree in organic produce, and have since studied a LOT about nutrition.

All calories are not equal. That's like saying, "A pound is a pound!" When you lose weight. No. You could lose a pound of fat, and that would be awesome. Or, you could lose a pound of muscle, which is horrible. It's much more complex.

Put simply, the type of calories we eat determine how well our systems function. And, primarily important to weight loss, they determine blood sugar and insulin levels, along with other hormones that basically decide how you will use a calorie.

Bottom line: A calorie from white bread or refined sugar is most efficiently stored in your body Mas reserve energy in the form of glucose. Guess what the organ is for energy storage? Yep. Fat cells.

However, a calorie that comes from broccoli takes nearly double the energy to convert it into glucose, and is much more efficiently broken down into usable vitamins and minerals. Therefore, 100 calories from a donut will go directly to your waist. 100 calories from a vegetable will go towards fueling your systems. Mainly your excretory system; which is what actually gets stuff out of storage in your fat cells and eliminated from the body.

It's a horticulture degree with an emphasis in produce production using organic and sustainable methods. But 90% of the population doesn't know what the word horticulture means.
  • sydney_bosque
    Options

I can't wait when they tear this post to shreds because you're wrong.

And your professional education on the matter is...?

I don't but others know more than both of us and they WILL prove you wrong.

There is no such thing as proof in this matter. There is so much evidence that can be taken in a number of ways. When you understand chemistry and the makeup of food, and how it reacts within your body, there is a lot of insight. However, there is still a great deal to learn and discover. So there will be no proof, because according to the scientific method, there is not enough information available to conclusively prove me wrong.
  • sydney_bosque
    Options

There is no such thing as proof in this matter. There is so much evidence that can be taken in a number of ways. When you understand chemistry and the makeup of food, and how it reacts within your body, there is a lot of insight. However, there is still a great deal to learn and discover. So there will be no proof, because according to the scientific method, there is not enough information available to conclusively prove me wrong.

But you are and we all know that so that's enough for me NOT to take seriously anything you post.

To each their own. I understand science, and I've lost 11 lbs in 15 days. Because I know how hormones work. And I'm usually over my calorie goal. But nobody is forcing you to agree with me.
  • sydney_bosque
    Options

But you are and we all know that so that's enough for me NOT to take seriously anything you post.

To each their own. I understand science, and I've lost 11 lbs in 15 days. Because I know how hormones work. And I'm usually over my calorie goal. But nobody is forcing you to agree with me.

Do you actually think you've lost 11lbs of fat in 15 days? Like, seriously?

It's obviously not all fat. I didn't say I had lost 11 lbs of fat. I said I had lost 11 lbs. But there is also no real limit to how much you lose in a certain amount of time when you understand how the fat organ works, why it stores energy, and how you can overcome that process. I'm confused as to why there is such hostility towards basic scientific principles.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie only applies to dieters calorie counting and bomb calorimeters. No reputable scientist believes there's no difference between calories - if that was true it wouldn't be necessary to do things like hold protein constant or list diet quality as a possible confounder in diet studies.
  • sydney_bosque
    Options
    Just do me a favor and research how blood sugar and insulin affect weight gain/loss. Then tell me I'm wrong. In strictly terms of a measurement of energy, yes calories are just a unit of measurement. But that's not what was implied. We are talking about calories compared with calories in different foods. And even with exercise. You can't just create a calorie deficit and lose weight. It's just not that simple.
  • sydney_bosque
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

It's a horticulture degree with an emphasis in produce production using organic and sustainable methods. But 90% of the population doesn't know what the word horticulture means.

Well what away to end my night realizing that I am one of the 10%!

What makes you think that 90% of the population doesn't know what the word horticulture means? It's a fairly common word.

You would be amazed at the amount of people who have no clue what it means.
  • sydney_bosque
    Options
    richln wrote: »

Bottom line: A calorie from white bread or refined sugar is most efficiently stored in your body as reserve energy in the form of glucose. Guess what the organ is for energy storage? Yep. Fat cells.

There is a lot going on in this post, but I am particularly curious about the bolded part. Are you claiming that the excretory system is involved in lipolysis of adipose tissue?

I'm claiming it is what's responsible for elimination of elements that have been stored within a fat cell. Not the process that removes it from the fat cell, but the process that removes it from the body.
  • sydney_bosque
    Options
    Just do me a favor and research how blood sugar and insulin affect weight gain/loss. Then tell me I'm wrong. In strictly terms of a measurement of energy, yes calories are just a unit of measurement. But that's not what was implied. We are talking about calories compared with calories in different foods. And even with exercise. You can't just create a calorie deficit and lose weight. It's just not that simple.

I've lost around 50lbs and have been in successful maintenance for several years now and yep, it really is that simple :)

Are you claiming that you can eat bread, sugar, and carbs and as long as you are still under your calorie goal then the weight will drop off?
  • sydney_bosque
    Options

I've lost around 50lbs and have been in successful maintenance for several years now and yep, it really is that simple :)

Are you claiming that you can eat bread, sugar, and carbs and as long as you are still under your calorie goal then the weight will drop off?

Yes...That's what everyone is claiming...Because it's TRUE

So... You don't eat vegetables, fruit, or lean protein?
  • sydney_bosque
    Options

It doesn't actually work like that. As a person of science, you should know that the burden of proof lies with you to provide sources to back up your claims. Peer reviewed scientific studies of course.

And actually, you can just create a calorie deficit and lose weight. That's exactly how it works.

Possibly at first. However, as you maintain a deficit, your body will adjust. It will shift it's metabolic processes to adapt to lesser calories. Unless you properly nourish it. I am more than happy to provide support. I simply claimed there was no valid way to "prove" me wrong because proof doesn't exist.

And after a prolonged period of calorie deficit without compensating nutrition, your body will begin to work against you and hold on to as much energy as it can. This has been studied and supported with evidence multiple times.