A calorie is a calorie ...

Options
A little visual comparison regarding calories vs nutrition.

http://www.gocompare.com/health-insurance/counting-calories/

Replies

• crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, yes a calorie is a calorie. In terms of overall health yes, you should eat a varied diet consisting of foods that a. you enjoy eating b. fit within your calorie goals c. have a high satiety level for you and d. gives you a good balance of macros and micros :)

My view on those priorities is a little different. I would say:

a) eat foods that meet your nutritional requirements

b) don't exceed your caloric needs

c) fill you up

d) you like

How you rank those attributes is all about a values I guess and the whole calorie in calorie out is the whole equation depends entirely on if you want to 'lose weight' or be healthy.

I thought the linked article gave a good visual regarding calories being equal in an easy to understand illustrative manner.

Some of the actual text is a bit wishy washy, but it is just a little piece for a health insurance mob.

Food for thought though.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I love that visual!!! Those thick white bread/ham sarnies look particularly amazing ;)
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I like that article and will share it on my Facebook!!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    In terms of weight loss, yes a calorie is a calorie. In terms of overall health yes, you should eat a varied diet consisting of foods that a. you enjoy eating b. fit within your calorie goals c. have a high satiety level for you and d. gives you a good balance of macros and micros :)

My view on those priorities is a little different. I would say:

a) eat foods that meet your nutritional requirements

b) don't exceed your caloric needs

c) fill you up

d) you like

How you rank those attributes is all about a values I guess and the whole calorie in calorie out is the whole equation depends entirely on if you want to 'lose weight' or be healthy.

I thought the linked article gave a good visual regarding calories being equal in an easy to understand illustrative manner.

Some of the actual text is a bit wishy washy, but it is just a little piece for a health insurance mob.

Food for thought though.

My previous post was not ranked in any specific order. But, back during my weight loss phase I was scared, overwhelmed and facing a medical crisis (had just found out I was a prediabetic). I decided to only focus on calorie intake and continued to eat the same as when I was overweight-just less of it. I also started eating all sorts of 'processed' diet foods. Despite what kinds of foods I was eating (almost no veggies, no whole grains, no fruit etc), I lost 50lbs. And I improved every single health marker my doctor used and my blood work came back improved as well-including a glucose number of 84 ie normal range/no longer prediabetic.

In the almost 4 years of maintenance that's followed, I've continued to focus #1-on my calorie intake. It's the only number I track. Within that though I've made some changes to what I eat and now I eat veggies, whole grains, lean meats etc on a daily basis. I also still eat fast food several times a week, still have chips and sweet treats etc but these are now a 3-4 times a week thing instead of a daily staple. I've continued to eat all the foods I like and I've found a few new ones along the way as well. I focus on foods that have a higher satiety level for me and I make sure I'm eating all sorts of things, to give my diet variety and get micros in.

My health markers are still excellent, blood work panels are still great, I have a bmi of around 21 and I'm one of the very few people who are maintaining long term. I focus on CICO AND being healthy and what I'm doing is working well for me :)

Agree. For many who come here, their weight is the more immediate threat to their health than their nutrition, so that may take priority. But many of us learn & make a lot of dietary improvements as we go. I eat a fairly healthy diet (and did when I was obese too), but have a sweet tooth and many days devote too many calories to it. It's a work in progress, but I've still cut my bad cholesterol by 30%, cut my triglycerides in half, went from a high-risk cardio category to one of the lowest, and have increased my fitness tremendously. I think nutrition is very important, but I wonder what my doctor would say the biggest gains came from?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    To follow/agree wtih the last few posts, I think a lot of people start by focusing on calories and then change/improve their diets, of course to varying degrees. Also, how much you need to change your diet other than cutting calories varies a lot, and some think they must eat all "diet" food or never have something indulgent. This all goes into the advice given.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I am impressed that something sensible has come from go compare!

Best line: "While calories are important when it comes to losing, maintaining or gaining weight, they are not the sole element that we should be focusing on when it comes to improving our health."
  • crackpotbaby
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Yep, different foods have different calories and different nutrient contents, and what you eat in your overall diet matters.

Don't quite understand the title, as IMO that has nothing to do with the fact that a calorie is a calorie. Calorie is not a synonym for "food" in that phrase.

Because there are soooooo many posts on here were users advocate others eating whatever junk they want because 'a calorie is a calorie', so long as there is a deficit.

Those posts reek of ignorance regarding nutrition and general health. I find that very frustrating particularly when that advice is given with the implication of calories all being equal (in a great sense than measured unit of energy).

I stumbled across this pictorial comparison and thought it was a good illustrative example.

You don't have to like the title of my thread :)
    But I certainly was not using calorie as a synonym for food or implying is is. It was in reference to the way the phase is used frequently on the forums in a same calories, equal results for your body kind of way. That's all.

For weight loss, a calorie is a calorie and a deficit is all that is required. Of corse Nutrition is important and is usually explicitly stated within the same post where someone is inquiring about if you will still lose weight if you continue to eat treats as long as you're within your calories. Even when it is not explicitly stated it is implied by the vast majority of these responses.

To think that posters on these boards are unaware or ignorant of the importance of nutrition and general health simply because a common phrase "a calorie is a calorie when it comes to weight loss" which does answer the question that was asked, is presumptuous, offensive, and shows a lack of understanding of the community and these boards.

In didn't realise understanding the community and the boards was a prerequisite for reading and interpreting posts.

Some posts ARE ignorant. Some are rude. Some are dismissive.

'An calorie is a calorie ...' I think I explained my point on using that phrase already but I think you'll find that 'nutrition is also important' is not always explicit in many posts.
  • crackpotbaby
    Options
    Yep, different foods have different calories and different nutrient contents, and what you eat in your overall diet matters.

Don't quite understand the title, as IMO that has nothing to do with the fact that a calorie is a calorie. Calorie is not a synonym for "food" in that phrase.

Because there are soooooo many posts on here were users advocate others eating whatever junk they want because 'a calorie is a calorie', so long as there is a deficit.

As I've said in other threads, I really think claims like this are a misunderstanding of what's said. As someone who has said "a calorie is a calorie" and (when asked) "yes, if you want to, you can eat whatever you choose and still lose weight," I always add "but of course for health and nutrition what you eat matters" and also "what you eat could make it easier or harder to stick to your calorie goal." I have seem MANY such threads and have yet to see one where that's not said early on and by many posters or where anyone disagrees with that advice. I really think the claim that people are being told nutrition/satiety are irrelevant is a strawman.

I'll also say that I think this supposed disagreement between what one "wants" to eat/think tastes good and what is nutritionally satisfying is a little bit of an assumption, and IMO a sad one. What I WANT to eat is what fits my nutrition goals, as well as what just happens to appeal in the moment, and there's no conflict between what I think tastes good and those goals. I can prioritize BOTH eating what I want and hitting nutritional requirements.
    Those posts reek of ignorance regarding nutrition and general health. I find that very frustrating particularly when that advice is given with the implication of calories all being equal (in a great sense than measured unit of energy).

Well, in that I think you are wrong about what the posts say, can't comment on these posts that supposedly claim nutrition doesn't matter.
    But I certainly was not using calorie as a synonym for food or implying is is. It was in reference to the way the phase is used frequently on the forums in a same calories, equal results for your body kind of way. That's all.

But that assumes it is being used as a synonym for food.

Steak including 100 calories of energy, broccoli including the same, and olive oil including the same are all different foods and have different effects on satiety, nutrition, etc. (or let's compare 2 meals of 500 calories and they will be different, obviously). But the CALORIES are not different, as a calorie is just a unit of energy. There's no such thing as a "steak calorie" vs. a "broccoli calorie." That's why I say that when you think "a calorie is a calorie" means it makes no difference whether you eat a meal of pasta with shrimp and vegetables, plus olive oil, a meal of steak and fries with a salad, or a meal of lentils and spinach and some rice and butter, or any number of other things, you are wrong. Those meals might be different beyond calorie differences -- they might have more or less effect on lasting satiety, on satisfaction, on whether the day meets overall nutrient requirements, etc. But that doesn't mean a calorie is not a calorie.

You seem to think that someone who says a calorie is not a calorie means something that is never meant, and that's why I find this frustrating. I really think it's a misunderstanding that ought to be cleared up.

Question: what do you actually think you and I are disagreeing about here?

Um ... semantics.
  • crackpotbaby
    Options

I stumbled across this pictorial comparison and thought it was a good illustrative example.

You don't have to like the title of my thread :)

For weight loss, a calorie is a calorie and a deficit is all that is required. Of corse Nutrition is important and is usually explicitly stated within the same post where someone is inquiring about if you will still lose weight if you continue to eat treats as long as you're within your calories. Even when it is not explicitly stated it is implied by the vast majority of these responses.

To think that posters on these boards are unaware or ignorant of the importance of nutrition and general health simply because a common phrase "a calorie is a calorie when it comes to weight loss" which does answer the question that was asked, is presumptuous, offensive, and shows a lack of understanding of the community and these boards.

In didn't realise understanding the community and the boards was a prerequisite for reading and interpreting posts.

Some posts ARE ignorant. Some are rude. Some are dismissive.

'An calorie is a calorie ...' I think I explained my point on using that phrase already but I think you'll find that 'nutrition is also important' is not always explicit in many posts.

For people who participate in these boards on a regular basis, the same questions come in OVER AND OVER. The majority of posters are patient and helpful and answer questions as they come in, but constantly having to qualify a statement of "yes a calorie is a calorie but of course nutrition is important" can get tiresome and redundant when the question was specifically "if I eat chocolate can I still lose weight as long as I'm within my calories?". The simplest answer to that is YES. If you have read through the countless posts we have on this topic, you would see that nutrition is strongly advocated for, even if not always explicitly stated, and it doesn't need to be explicitly stated in every single post on a thread.

If you have some examples of the ignorant, rude, dismissive posts you could quote those directly so we could see what you're talking about, but in general - starting threads to complain about the tone of other posters on these forums is not usually a productive exercise. It's usually better to ask clarifying questions within the thread itself where you feel the comments are inadequate.

I started a thread to post a link to an interesting visual side by side comparison of two equal calorie days, with comparative nutritional discussion not to complain about anything.

Any other comments have been in response to replies like your own.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    If anyone else was curious about the Exeter/Oxford study referenced in the article, I found it:
    http://emph.oxfordjournals.org/content/2016/1/369