Does anyone go to the gym alone?

Options

Replies

• Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I go by myself. A year ago in October, I began a regime of walking 1.5 miles to the gym with friends who were neighbours and working out and walking home. I walk fast and as I increased my stamina, I walked faster. I also began wanting to leave earlier. It became much easier to go by myself and exercise as long or short a time as I wanted each individual morning.

I'm not a person who needs or enjoys the classes and working out WITH someone, so it suits me better to workout by myself at my own pace.

I try to go very early so the gym is quieter and it's easier to complete my circuit without someone standing there waiting for the machine.... I'm also somewhat obsessive-compulsive so I like to do exercises in a specific order.... ;)
  • Destinychngr
    Destinychngr Posts: 103 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I totally agree with AFGP11 - I go to the gym alone not only because of my schedule and it's open 24 hours, but that's me time. I have also been working with a personal trainer for 4 months that comes into my home to do workout sessions and I love it.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer to workout alone. I usually go to the gym with all of my goals for the day written down. Having a partner will throw me off my routine and I won't hit my goals. If you do have a partner, make sure this person is a) serious about getting fit and b) has goals very similar to yours. Good luck.

Jason
  • pilsont
    pilsont Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I enjoin group classes. The instructors push us to do more. Sometimes I quit when I get tired. However if I'm running I like going alone. I can't push myself without my music and I can't talk if I'm breathing hard lol
  • Pooshka2
    Pooshka2 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Take a fitness class. You'd be in good company with a number of people who attended alone.

Remembering that many of the folks going to the gym may have been in the same spot you are. You've paid for thee membership, no sense wasting it by staying home.
  • raeowens6164
    raeowens6164 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I go alone. I was going with a friend and she would not leave the cardio room. When she quit going with me I found I really like the weight room and now do most of my workouts there. I feel like I can completely focus on me. That is my hour (sometimes a little more), for me, no kids, no spouse, no work, no chores. This is my treat to me. It may take you some time to get in a routine but you will probably like it once you get use to it.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I lift alone. No one likes to do it with me. I lift once a week, full body, warm up, lift, cool down and stretch and am at the gym for about three hours. Friends who say they want to work out with me (and I very honestly warn them) are always asking if we can go eat after 20-30 minutes. :disappointed: I have a great community at the yoga studio I belong to and that's just a warm, fun, supportive, environment where everyone knows everyone. But for now I lift alone. Have for a long time.

Then I get irritated because they want me to cut my workout short even though I clearly explained what I do and how long it takes. "But you work out every day! You can cut this one short!"

My dream is to find a guy to share the fitness life with. We don't have to workout together, thought hat would be awesome, but just need to respect the gym time. Another pet peeve is men who like the results of exercise, but then begrudge the time spent getting said results. They don't just magically maintain themselves!

OK, rant over. :smile:
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I should add, y'all are kinda my gym buddies as I read these boards as my rest between sets. I'm not good at resting, especially as I add weight/reps and have a better workout with a minute or two between sets. Reading and replying helps me do that.

So, thanks everyone! :smiley:
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    Another pet peeve is men who like the results of exercise, but then begrudge the time spent getting said results. They don't just magically maintain themselves!

Especially once you reach 50 like me. I find myself working harder than ever.
  • Peachez2
    Peachez2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I go alone, I his crank of my music and do what so came to do.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Yes! I go alone all of the time. Like others have said, I like going whenever I want too and not waiting on someone. Also I can listen to my workout playlist and not talk to anyone (it's my time). It almost feels therapeutic to go, zone the world out and concentrate on just me. I lift so I walk over to where the weights are mainly occupied by men, I don't care :smiley: Just love the way I feel while I'm working on myself and then you can't forget that feeling you get after a fantastic workout! Enjoy!
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm usually alone. Occasionally I see a friend, but rarely plan to go together--it's too hard to coordinate schedules, plus we do different things anyway. I find it easier to skip if my partner skips out first. I make it part of my routine for the day--it's on my calendar. It will become a habit and that makes it easier.

Boredom isn't a huge issue--there's tv to watch on the cardio equipment (or Netflix if you don't have the nifty individual tvs), and I listen to audio books through Bluetooth headphones while lifting. Check your local library for free audiobooks through your phone if you don't already listen--a good mystery or thriller (or whatever) will make you want to keep going !

• gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    AFGP11 wrote: »
    I always go alone. I wouldn't get a real workout in if I went with someone else. If I can chat, I'm not really working hard enough. I see the gym as "me time". It's a time for me to put on music I like, close out the world and focus on doing something good for myself.

I think the idea of getting a trainer or finding a new gym buddy is good though, but you might come to enjoy the time to yourself like I have. I used to hate the idea of the gym, but now I look forward to it and get sad on my rest days.

Yes yes yes. I homeschool 4 little boys...and I'm an introvert who dislikes noise :lol: going to the gym = I want to shut out everything and be alone!
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Wow, that was very thoughtful of you to buy your friend a gym membership! I think that once she sees your transformation that might be your motivation. My boyfriend bought me a gym membership for Christmas, I go by myself the days that he cannot. Just me and my headphones.:)
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I always go alone too. Eventually you get to know the faces of people you see every single day at the same time and even start to say "hi" and stuff to the regulars. But I don't mind going alone. Very occasionally I wish I had someone with me, but usually only on days when I'm not feeling into it 100% and would end up just chatting to the person instead of working out anyway, so that would be useless!

One thing that is not so idea alone is that I rarely have someone to spot me if I want to try something a bit heavier than usual. But - I have got around that by starting to chat with a regular and now every so often he'll spot my bench if I ask him (or he'll offer if he sees me at the bench)
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i prefer going to the gym alone. when i went with a friend, it changed how i worked out.
  • Yuliya_blinova
    Yuliya_blinova Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym alone, I actually prefer it :) Though we have a gym in our condominium, so its not a public one. You can find a program for yourself online and just stick with it. I usually do treadmill, rowing, workout for the legs and abs, takes me all in all about 1 hour. Usually I listen to Ted Hour whilst working out, really inspirational :)

Take the time for yourself, go to the gym alone, enjoy yourself!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I prefer going alone. When I'm there with someone I feel obliged to keep them company, or do what they're doing. Going alone, I can pop in my headphones, tune out and do my thing.
  • staceysmith140
    staceysmith140 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym alone can be hard, it's incredibly boring and it's difficult to keep motivation.. It sucks that your friend isn't following through.. :( Also in the bigger gyms it's harder to meet people. If you are able to, look into the smaller, specialty studios, like cycling, yoga, barre, orangetheory.. You get a great workout, these studios are more like a community, you begin to network with members and develop friendships on the same fitness journey as you. Good luck to you!
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    To be honest I prefer to go alone now. There are some days where I really just don't want to go, (even after I have actually got changed into my gym clothes) but I force myself to go anyway. If i tell a friend I'm going to go I feel like I can't drop out and that I have to honour my word. But my best friends are a flaky, they don't like committing, will turn up late or not be dressed by the time we've agreed. I do my normal workout routine , at the gym, but I actually also really enjoy group classes for yoga and cross-fit.