Does anyone go to the gym alone?

Options
123457»

Replies

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My father joined a gym with my brother and my two nephews All four wanted to really get into it. The standing agreement to go together is Sunday 10.00 as a sort of family/male bonding thing. This was a year ago.

These days my father generally goes to the gym alone. When I visit I can see how hurt he is when my brother again calls in 5 minutes before time that he can't make it. I promised him, next time I visit my parents I am joining dad in the gym,
  • CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I go alone. I am frequently attending a gym since September 2016. All previous attempts to regularly go to gym fail catastrophically.

My success in "liking" gym:
    - Get somebody to help, so hire a personal trainer (PT).
    - If you have no money to hire a PT, all paid gyms should have monitors, and their job is to assist the users. USE the gym staff. Keep in mind that one of the tasks of the monitors is to make you BUY PT time, so expect some reluctance or laziness in the support provided. You don't have to demand a personal training plan, but surely you can demand that each exercise, machine, routine is made the right way.
    - If you are too shy to struggle with the gym staff, repeat step above :smile:
    - If previous do not work, watch carefully videos in You Tube from trusted sources and then go to the gym.

I did the PT approach (it is expensive, I know), but I think is the best approach possible, the amount of lessons learned and injury prevention is completely worth.

All above can be done ONLY if I go alone. From my point of view a gym is NOT a social club, is a torture place that helps me achieve my goals. If I start socializing and expending rest times in chitchat, my goals are jeopardized. It's 60 minutes 3-5 times a week.