Options
13»

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    mlinci wrote: »
    Of course I eat them back (about 80%-100% of my Fitbit calories). I walk about 12k steps a day, which is quite active, so I need to eat more than if I was sedentary. Makes sense, and I don't want to undereat, because funnily enough, that's what makes me overeat.

If you eat back 80-100% of your FitBit calories, I assume you are trying to maintain? FitBit displays your TDEE I believe.

You can set fitbit to maintain or lose just like MFP. I have fitbit set to lose and it is working perfectly for me.

Thanks for the info. I should probably have read the manual for mine.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Of course I eat them back (about 80%-100% of my Fitbit calories). I walk about 12k steps a day, which is quite active, so I need to eat more than if I was sedentary. Makes sense, and I don't want to undereat, because funnily enough, that's what makes me overeat.

If you eat back 80-100% of your FitBit calories, I assume you are trying to maintain? FitBit displays your TDEE I believe.

You can set fitbit to maintain or lose just like MFP. I have fitbit set to lose and it is working perfectly for me.

I don't think they come with a manual... and while I get that they are trying to make it seem so simple just plug it in and it starts working, by having published FAQs it would probably stave off a lot of confusion.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I set my base MFP input per sedentary, and I eat back some of the Fitbit adjustment (but never more than 50%, and rarely more than +500 cals), the amount depending on whether I'm maintaining, or trying to lose a bit.
  • feroshus
    feroshus Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I try to ignore the calories I've earned back from exercise for the most part. I just have a goal range of how many calories I want to eat in a day, and try to stay within there.
  • dwulet130
    dwulet130 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I agree that Fitbit seems to overestimate (Charge HR on non-dominant wrist, set to Dominant to reduce sensitivity). I get 12,000 "steps" a day, so I set MFP to lightly active. Then I eat in the ballpark of what MFP gives me before the exercise adjustment. So I try to eat around 1450 calories, but on any given day my exercise adjustment will say I can eat 1800 or so. I figure the lightly active setting means I'm eating back some of those calories (on sedentary I can only eat 1200).

But like everyone else has said, if it's not working try eating back a smaller percentage, or unsyncing for a while and see how you do. Good luck!
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have used a fitbit with MFP for years, lost a lot of weight and most of the time eaten pretty much everything back.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,028 Member
    Options
    I usually eat back almost all of my fitbit adjustment. I have a One and I think that it underestimates my calorie burn.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I only eat back MFP exercise calories if I am hungry. Otherwise I save them for the weekend when my logging is less accurate due to eating out and I tend to eat more. Based on my weekly calories, I have found my Fitbit calories to be pretty accurate.

But if you aren't losing weight and the only factor that you see that could be contributing to that is eating back Fitbit calories, stop eating them back. Or eat back less of them. If hunger is an issue, consider looking at your macros to see if you can adjust what you are eating so that you stay full.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I like to think I have a lot of data points. I've been logging on MFP for nearly 900 days, with a fitbit (zip, then one, both on my waistband) through most of that. I've found it to be incredibly accurate for most activities, especially daily movements, walking, and running. As expected, it under-estimates certain machines like elliptical and biking. I've found it does pretty decent with dance, and I've lost as expected when I take classes like Zumba or Jazzercise. As another poster said, its critical to have your height and weight accurate. Even a difference of a half inch of height could give you more steps than you actually take, or even adjust your estimated BMR.

Lastly, if you're set to sedentary and your calorie burn seems high, remember that some of that is just MFP adjusting for the fact that you actually moved. For me, calories seem to start getting earned around 3500 steps, even if its all just walking around at the office or shopping, and not strenuous activities.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd be starving if I didn't eat mine back... I've walked 15-20k steps a day lately.

But if you're not losing, eat less.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I don't think they come with a manual... and while I get that they are trying to make it seem so simple just plug it in and it starts working, by having published FAQs it would probably stave off a lot of confusion.

They do on the website. You have to login from a computer for some of the settings I believe. Just like this site doesn't have everything on the mobile app. It just takes some playing with. They are both great tools and can work together or separate.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

They do on the website. You have to login from a computer for some of the settings I believe. Just like this site doesn't have everything on the mobile app. It just takes some playing with. They are both great tools and can work together or separate.

Oh I'm a huge fan. I figured mine out pretty quickly and things that bugged me I came to these boards and the FitBit user group and they set me straight. There seems to be an influx though of people who don't want to troubleshoot but would rather complain here, so I'm thinking maybe they are missing printed instructions in a box or something...