Open or Closed Diary?

Options

Replies

• sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Mine's open at all times. It's your constitutional right to know what I eat. That way, you can let me know if I'm sidestepping. I welcome that.

Well after extensive review (despite not know what "sidestepping" is) my verdict is that you should be dead. Y u no eat food, guy?!

EDIT: To point out that this isn't a judgement of your calorie level but rather that you didn't log anything yesterday, or the day before, or the day before... So yeah, still a little judgy I suppose. But really, what's the point in an open diary if it's empty? :sad: :flowerforyou:
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends and most of my friends is open to their friends. We do review each others and comment. Yes we make suggestions and kibbitz, normally in jest. But if I see a trend that is troubling to me, I'll mention it. For example, if someone is habitually WAY under 1200 calories. We get ideas from each other's diaries. And yes, I'm a bit of an exhibitionist too. But having the accountability to others has helped me immensely. And I log everything.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Mine is open and I frequently look at my friends open diaries to get ideas on new foods to eat. Sometimes the same old thing get's boring! I welcome constructive criticism but if people start telling me I need to eat clean, blah blah blah, and aren't willing to come and cook for me on a daily basis then they can shush. I do what I want.
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends and most of my friends is open to their friends. We do review each others and comment. Yes we make suggestions and kibbitz, normally in jest. But if I see a trend that is troubling to me, I'll mention it. For example, if someone is habitually WAY under 1200 calories. We get ideas from each other's diaries. And yes, I'm a bit of an exhibitionist too. But having the accountability to others has helped me immensely. And I log everything.

Love that you feel comfortable enough with your friends to mention it if you see "a trend that is troubling." Honestly, I have looked at some of my friend's diaries and thought "wow... they're eating very little" or "hmmm... I don't know if they REALLY burned 1000 calories doing 30 minutes of zumba" but a lot of times I don't know how to broach the subject without sounding judgy.
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    Mine's open at all times. It's your constitutional right to know what I eat. That way, you can let me know if I'm sidestepping. I welcome that.

Well after extensive review (despite not know what "sidestepping" is) my verdict is that you should be dead. Y u no eat food, guy?!

EDIT: To point out that this isn't a judgement of your calorie level but rather that you didn't log anything yesterday, or the day before, or the day before... So yeah, still a little judgy I suppose. But really, what's the point in an open diary if it's empty? :sad: :flowerforyou:

Point taken. Don't why I always forget to log my food in!! I'll keep a reminder to remind me after my meals!! Not too sure about dead, but yeah, I probably should eat more. Thanks for the input.
  • KarmaKills
    KarmaKills Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open because it helps me stay accountable for everything I stuff into my mouth. lol Plus, I like getting feedback, help and suggestions.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open. I don't really care what random strangers think of my food choices.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    ChildrenCryinNCoffee Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to everyone, it's called accountability. I wouldn't want to eat bad and keep it in secret because how is that helping me, even if I am UNDER calories for the day. I'm public for feedback. I appreciate the feedback.
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to the public. I really don't care if other people see what I eat.
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Friends only - makes sense to me
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed, I'm still too embarrassed about the amount of empty calories I eat ... my diary is certainly NOT inspirational in any way. I had opened mine up for a time, but then had a couple bad days where I found myself wanting to fudge the amounts of food I was eating so that others wouldn't see it. I figured it was better if I kept it closed and kept it honest. I'm actually having success (keeping calories in check, losing weight), but if at some point I stall and need input and help, I realize I'll need to open it up to get decent feedback.
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Open , I use to have a closed diary. But now I feel more accountable , I don't get any negative comments.

I personally wont comment in peoples diary that are closed , specially if they say under. I'm not going to encourage you to eat 500 to 600 calories a day , I have been there and the physical and emotional state is not a nice one.
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Mine is open...I think it's just a personal choice. I also like to check out others for recipes and will note where I got a recipe if I had a particularly good meal so that others can see it too.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed because I'm a super duper perfectionist and quite competitive...so I am vulnerable about any little "error" like the ice cream splurge last Sunday (one scoop at a local creamery) or days when I have two diet sodas. I'd feel like people were judging me. I also think it would make me more strict with myself in a way that could possibly be counterproductive.

As it is, I keep mine totally private and I'm 100% honest with MFP and myself. Which is good for me.
  • RJay64
    RJay64 Posts: 135
    Options
    Open keeps me Honest.
    Closed keeps me honest.

It is open to friends, though.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Closed. So people won't be jealous of all the bacon and ice cream I eat.

This. I eat very healthy meals, and very unhealthy snacks. Which is my business.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Mine's open to all. And yep I logged that 1500 calorie dessert one day when that was higher than my total daily calorie allowance.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Open Diary for accountability; nutritional reports for my monthly appointments and to track the level of my food groups, etc to see where I’m on or off Track; sharing with others for meal ideas, suggestions & tips on what may or may not be working for me; learn from others…. :bigsmile:
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to my friends. I've only had one person try to 'help' me, but her diary was so crazy I ignored her. She got worse and tried to 'help' me more, so I removed her from my friends list. I'm all about suggestions, but it has to come from someone that I feel is knowledgeable, and she was not, seeing as she ate an average of 900-1000 calories a day.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I keep it closed... I need to be accountable to me, not my friends. Keeping it closed helps me do that. If it's open I worry too much abt what other people would think about what I eat and don't log truthfully (unless I'm really good, then it's down to the T).

If I want feedback, I open it and ask, but at this point I more or less know what to do - just a matter of doing it.