Open or Closed Diary?

Replies

• javacafe
    javacafe Posts: 79 Member
    I keep mine open. In fact, I wish there was a comment section under my diary, where people could comment (or ask a question) if they wanted to. That would so speed up knowledge sharing and learning new perspectives, styles, etc. I don't worry about "negative" comments. For me, it is as easy to ignore those as blinking an eye.

I understand, however, that others may have differing perspectives.
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Mine is open to friends. I love getting new ideas from my friends' diaries, and also when they see what I am eating sometimes they send me a new link or recipe for that food. It's disappointing when a friend does not share their diary, but I respect their decision. I tend to choose my friends carefully, so I really haven't had judgey problems.
  • hzliiz
    hzliiz Posts: 166 Member
    I think it was a symbolic choice I made to have it open because I used to have so much secrecy and shame around eating especially when I was bulimic. Just another way to sort of shed that old baggage I guess. I haven't had any negative comments and I eat a fair amount of crap and enough processed stuff that my body will probably self-preserve upon my demise.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Mine is open to friends and most of my friends is open to their friends. We do review each others and comment. Yes we make suggestions and kibbitz, normally in jest. But if I see a trend that is troubling to me, I'll mention it. For example, if someone is habitually WAY under 1200 calories. We get ideas from each other's diaries. And yes, I'm a bit of an exhibitionist too. But having the accountability to others has helped me immensely. And I log everything.

Love that you feel comfortable enough with your friends to mention it if you see "a trend that is troubling." Honestly, I have looked at some of my friend's diaries and thought "wow... they're eating very little" or "hmmm... I don't know if they REALLY burned 1000 calories doing 30 minutes of zumba" but a lot of times I don't know how to broach the subject without sounding judgy.

Many (most?) of us have ended up as friends with each other as well. And the remarkable thing to me is the geographical diversity. I've got friends in a few dozen states as well as England, France, New Zealand and lord knows where else.

I don't get people being catty and *****y and mean and nasty. We're all here for the same reason. We're all here for the same journey. Some of us do better, some of us have more difficulty. But if anyone thinks they have all the answers, they are lying. There is no "one" way to lose weight. And we can all learn something from each other. Every damned last one of us. And the minute you know everything there is to know about this is the minute you actually become a bit dangerous. Flexibility, adaptability, compassion, humor, empathy, support, encouragement, and honesty -- this is what helps others. If you think someone is doing something wrong, you don't say it as "listen idiot - you're doing it wrong". But rather "I'm concerned because from everything I've learned, you might be doing "x" wrong and here's what I've learned. Just my thoughts for you to consider". Let them make the choice -- it is their life. You have given them a different perspective and that is all we can, and should do. Start a dialog, don't do it as a monologue. And that is what having your diaries open can do.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 862 Member
    I keep it open, as I have been asking for advice.

Not that people can understand it without a google translator.. :flowerforyou:
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Closed.

I'm much more honest with myself that way.

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Mine is open. Never thought about closing it. If someone wants to critique my diary, it's whatever. I don't usually pay it any mind, i don't even complete my diary so it doesn't post. If someone feels compelled to view my diary, they can feel free. But i could care less to be honest. It's like being at the gym, and someone wanting to critique your form or what you're doing. Same feeling to me.
  • ChrissyC1985
    ChrissyC1985 Posts: 406 Member
    Open to friends. I like looking at friends' diaries for new food ideas, so I like to return the favor. It also makes me feel more accountable. Haven't had any friends be judgmental.

this.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    Mine's open. I don't care who reads it. I do understand the reasons for people having closed diaries. Open or closed, it doesn't affect me because I don't go snooping through strangers' stuff (ie: for meal ideas) unless those people ask for help.
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    if people start telling me I need to eat clean, blah blah blah, and aren't willing to come and cook for me on a daily basis then they can shush. I do what I want.

THIS. SO. Much. This.

I recently opened my diary (only to my friends) and they are nice, not judgey :D I like seeing ideas from others and it keeps me accountable. I don't beat myself up if I have a cookie. I say, yep, I loved that cookie.
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Just wondering, since it is a setting, does anyone have theirs -- "Locked with a key" ?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Mine is closed. What I put into my body is my business. If I required assistance, I would happily open it to my friends, but that hasn't happened yet.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 674 Member
    I opened mine recently just to say hey if anyone needs help i.e. food options, what x number of calories a day may look like.. they can use my diary. If people want to judge that is their business - I don't mind. I might need help someday as well, and I know that the first thing people ask is - is your diary open.
  • sire137
    sire137 Posts: 41
    Open, and I plan on indulging on beer tonight. MFP is going to cry over the cals!
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Just wondering, since it is a setting, does anyone have theirs -- "Locked with a key" ?

I clicked on someone's profile yesterday and found theirs was locked with a key. First person I saw doing this but I'm sure others do it too.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Closed, as I only need to be accountable to myself. Also, I had to deal with too many Judgy McJudgersons when I had my diary open. Ain't nobody got time for that!
    Really, though, how many people do you think are named Judgy McJudgerson? And of those, how many are on MFP? I don't see how it could be a serious problem.
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Open because I don't care what random internet strangers think of what I eat.

This ^^^ :laugh:
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Closed and no friends, I do it for myself. No need for trolls
  • suzycav77
    suzycav77 Posts: 189 Member
    open!! i eat everything in moderation today i've had cider n vodka!! done a gym session and still under!! :laugh:
  • Prek2005
    Prek2005 Posts: 58
    Open! I may not log the best stuff ever, but I log every day, every meal. I am not a pro at being healthy, so I like the possibility of feedback from fellow MFP'ers. I also don't feel like I have any platform to complain or give anyone else advice if they can't see how I am doing. I don't mind the transparency at all! :drinker:

That is the same way how I feel!