Cycling problems

Options
13»

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others ... just keep riding.

Pick one or two days a week for long rides.
    Pick one or two days a week when you'll do intervals or hill repeats.
    Pick one day for a recovery ride.

And how fast do you want to be?
    10 mph = 16 km/h and 12 mph = 20 km/h ... that's not bad!
  • JuliaH728
    JuliaH728 Posts: 39 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »
    OP, what is the terrain? Wind? 10 mph on a 6% slope is pretty good. Is your friend an experience fitter, mechanic, rider, or all three? If the answer is no or don't know, consider getting fit from a professional. Fit is as much an art as science, and most of us carry enough baggage not to see the forest for the tree

I honestly don't know the exact incline. My most recent ride had a 301 ft elevation gain in 7.5 miles.
    My friend is an experienced rider (multiple iron Man completions) and a semi experienced mechanic/fitter.
  • JuliaH728
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Thats similar to my current running schedule. However, if I decide to transition to triathlons I will be running 2-3 days a week, biking 2 days and swimming 2 days. Which rides would be the most important?
    Ideally I'd like to be averaging 14mph for 20 or so miles
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    JuliaHujar wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

Thats similar to my current running schedule. However, if I decide to transition to triathlons I will be running 2-3 days a week, biking 2 days and swimming 2 days. Which rides would be the most important?
    Ideally I'd like to be averaging 14mph for 20 or so miles

One long ride + one day of intervals (or hill repeats sometimes if your routes will be hilly).

You might also look to see if you've got a cycling club in your area who run time trials. Doing time trials every other week or so (instead of your intervals) might help too, and would give you an idea of how you're improving.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Did you find the answer?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »
    OP, what is the terrain? Wind? 10 mph on a 6% slope is pretty good. Is your friend an experience fitter, mechanic, rider, or all three? If the answer is no or don't know, consider getting fit from a professional. Fit is as much an art as science, and most of us carry enough baggage not to see the forest for the tree

I honestly don't know the exact incline. My most recent ride had a 301 ft elevation gain in 7.5 miles.
    My friend is an experienced rider (multiple iron Man completions) and a semi experienced mechanic/fitter.

semi-experienced mechanic/fitter? is he a qualified fitter (via retul/guru or one of the other fitting schools processes)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Are different muscle groups used in running and cycling?
  • Texas_Toast_27
    Texas_Toast_27 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try intervals. I know when my speed/fitness on the bike plateaus, intervals can help kick both in the butt. Always riding at the same speed is not a good plan for getting faster, which is what I read as your motivation.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Are you on a Time Trial (or Triathalon) bike? If so, you just need saddle time and get used to the extreme positioning. Try a less aggressive fit (keep a measurement of the settings before adjustment) and work on your technique (balance, bike handling, power delivery, core strength, flexibility, etc). Slowly back into the more aggressive aerodynamic tuck as your body become more accommodated to the strain. If not, just ride to get your cycling legs. I would still work on technique and building a solid base (e.g. comfortable cruising 18-20mph solo on a flat course over two plus hours) before introducing more intensive interval training (i.e. anything over tempo).
    Are different muscle groups used in running and cycling?
    No but the mechanics and use are different. See http://www.livestrong.com/article/374003-muscles-used-in-running-vs-cycling/ for a general description.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I suck at cycling. I don't know what my problem is. I have gotten my bike professionally fitted now so it isn't making my shoulders/neck sore, but I find that I have serious trouble physically peddling. I am in great shape. I run marathons and wanted to transition to triathlons but I am afraid to take time away from a sport I'm good at to potentially waste time and money on a sport I'm terrible at.
    And when I say slow I mean legitimately slow. Like 10mph is pushing it most days for me. When I was biking more frequently 12mph was the best avg I could manage. The other day going up a hill I realized when looking at my speed that I could have run faster haha.
    Looking for any advice about why I am so slow or strength training to get stronger or any success stories about people getting better at cycling.
    (I am 23 y.o. and run a 3:45 marathon, aiming to qualify for Boston within the year)

Just like running, you've got to suck it up and work your Zones! No pain. No gain.

Rather than heart rate, watts, etc..., it narrows down to this...

1. Old lady pace
    2. Chatty pace
    3. Feel good hard
    4. Feel bad hard
    5. I am going to die
    6. Flat out

I seriously doubt that riding 10 mph outside is getting you out of Old lady pace or Chatty pace. Shift those gears, and mash some pedals to work the numbers 3, 4, 5 - and even some 10 second durations in 6.

If you do a tri, the majority of the ride will be in Zone 3 and 4 (most likely) with some time spent in Zone 2 as well. To ride that fast, and that far in those Zones - you've got to train it.

So go out there, pedal hard and "feel good hard"; "feel bad hard"; push it so you feel the "I am going to die" pace for some 1 - 3 minute intervals as well. It might take you a good 4-6 weeks to build up some decent base stamina on the bike, but that's what saddle time is designed to do as long as you are not riding in "old lady pace" and "chatty pace".

Push it!

• JuliaH728
    Options
    Did you find the answer?

I had my friend loosen the brakes bc it seemed like they were rubbing when I was riding. I haven't had a chance to get back outside bc of lots of rain and cold here, but if this weekend clears up I'll be out on Sunday! Otherwise I'll be inside on my trainer which always feels easier than outside.

Also he said he didn't have the tools to true the rear wheel that's slightly wobbly.
  • JuliaH728
    Options
    I suck at cycling. I don't know what my problem is. I have gotten my bike professionally fitted now so it isn't making my shoulders/neck sore, but I find that I have serious trouble physically peddling. I am in great shape. I run marathons and wanted to transition to triathlons but I am afraid to take time away from a sport I'm good at to potentially waste time and money on a sport I'm terrible at.
    And when I say slow I mean legitimately slow. Like 10mph is pushing it most days for me. When I was biking more frequently 12mph was the best avg I could manage. The other day going up a hill I realized when looking at my speed that I could have run faster haha.
    Looking for any advice about why I am so slow or strength training to get stronger or any success stories about people getting better at cycling.
    (I am 23 y.o. and run a 3:45 marathon, aiming to qualify for Boston within the year)

Just like running, you've got to suck it up and work your Zones! No pain. No gain.

Rather than heart rate, watts, etc..., it narrows down to this...

1. Old lady pace
    2. Chatty pace
    3. Feel good hard
    4. Feel bad hard
    5. I am going to die
    6. Flat out

I seriously doubt that riding 10 mph outside is getting you out of Old lady pace or Chatty pace. Shift those gears, and mash some pedals to work the numbers 3, 4, 5 - and even some 10 second durations in 6.

If you do a tri, the majority of the ride will be in Zone 3 and 4 (most likely) with some time spent in Zone 2 as well. To ride that fast, and that far in those Zones - you've got to train it.

So go out there, pedal hard and "feel good hard"; "feel bad hard"; push it so you feel the "I am going to die" pace for some 1 - 3 minute intervals as well. It might take you a good 4-6 weeks to build up some decent base stamina on the bike, but that's what saddle time is designed to do as long as you are not riding in "old lady pace" and "chatty pace".

Push it!

I like the nicknames of those zones haha. Running is so much easier to push through though! When it's hard it's easier to distract myself or change up my form slightly to ease discomfort (or walk if really necessary).
    But the consensus seems to be that I need to just push harder. And find a cycle group to ride with.
    Thanks!