What is a good substitute for bread?

Options

Replies

• JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Depends on situation. There is no sub for good bread on a grilled cheese or reuben. But for some sandwiches I like to use wraps like Flatout or Tumaros for the extra fiber & protein. They are lower calorie too, which means more calories for CHEESE!
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    Depends on situation. There is no sub for good bread on a grilled cheese or reuben. But for some sandwiches I like to use wraps like Flatout or Tumaros for the extra fiber & protein. They are lower calorie too, which means more calories for CHEESE!

Flatouts are great too!
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    If you're doing this primarily because of the caloric content, I'd like to deviate from the other suggestions above and get real with you for a minute. Low-calorie and reduced calorie bread options are not very healthy .

My "low calorie" bread is just a bread that I like that comes thinly sliced. Smaller slices = fewer calories. Most bread actually has about the same calories per gram, so the trick is finding a bread that you like that comes in small (but not too small*) slices.

*I tried another brand that sliced *too* thin. It came out of the toaster like melba toast.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,368 Member
    Options
    I always use 1 slice & I taste what i put on it better
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    ksciacca97 wrote: »
    Hello I am really trying to lose weight & I would like to start substituting bread out of my diet but what is a good healthy substitute for bread I can use?

What do you typically have bread with? Is it sandwiches and that kind of thing or do you have it as a side?

When I eat bread, it's mostly sourdough and I like having a slice of it toasted with stews and the like...but most of the time we opt for potatoes or sweet potatoes or something along those lines as there is more nutritional value...but yeah, sometimes I just need my sourdough.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Roti bread and paranthas (roti stuffed with vegetables) are higher in protein and fiber than many breads, and they can be a substitute. They won't necessarily be lower calories.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ValeriePlz wrote: »
    Roti bread and paranthas (roti stuffed with vegetables) are higher in protein and fiber than many breads, and they can be a substitute. They won't necessarily be lower calories.

Totally off topic but is that a Flemish Giant in your profile picture? I've had two of them and they were such sweet, gentle giants <3
  • TigerLily100
    TigerLily100 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I replaced bread with dutch crisp bakes and I think the ones I buy are about 37kcal each, I just put a low fat spread on them, you can stick whatever you would normally put in a sandwich on them. Also like Danish bread as it's usually about half the calories of normal bread. Thins too, good for a sandwich and about the same calories as a standard slice of bread.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Low carb tortillas were my go-to when losing. I've switched to homemade bread and I can tell the difference because I'm much hungrier... so I got to cut that again! But there are a bunch of brands - Tumaro's, La Tortilla Factory, Flat Out... But I don't really eat that much of those, I'd rather have a salad or a protein + veggies + potatoes/pasta meal.
  • lady_ghost
    lady_ghost Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    ksciacca97 wrote: »
    Hello I am really trying to lose weight & I would like to start substituting bread out of my diet but what is a good healthy substitute for bread I can use?

Cauliflower
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat bread, don't eat bread. You don't need a substitute. I rarely eat bread (not for any weight loss reason, I just usually don't think the calories are worth it), and I don't substitute. I just don't eat it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    If you don't want to eat bread, don't eat bread. You don't need a substitute. I rarely eat bread (not for any weight loss reason, I just usually don't think the calories are worth it), and I don't substitute. I just don't eat it.

This. I have celiac disease and gluten free bread is pretty awful. I just don't bother. Places in my meals that used to be filled by breads (volume-wise) are often filled by vegetables these days.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I use Fiber One wraps instead of traditional bread for sandwiches to save on carbs. It ends up to be 15 g/carb for each wrap. I'm not a big fan of the "open faced" sandwich and I do a lot of lunch meat roll-ups. Sometimes I just want that wrap. I like how it keeps veggies in the sandwich. I have a slight love affair with cucumbers in my wrap.

When I make pizza I use flatbread crusts instead of thicker, more traditional crusts. It turns out crisp and lovely.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    A note on tortillas - my 10" wraps are 230 calories, which is a lot more than two slices of my bread. (Yes there are lower calorie tortillas, just felt the need to point out that they are not lower calorie per se.)

I was thinking the same thing. If you're not careful, tortillas can be very costly calorically.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    +1 on less bread. Ill make open faced sandwiches/burgers (1 slice instead of 2), flatbread as pizza crusts instead on thicker crusts. There are options that let you still enjoy it.

Ditto to this. I enjoy good bread -- like a bakery sourdough and will use one slice for an open face sandwich instead of the two.