What is a good substitute for bread?

Options
Hello I am really trying to lose weight & I would like to start substituting bread out of my diet but what is a good healthy substitute for bread I can use?

Replies

• Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I like romaine lettuce leaf wraps. Mmmmm! But there is 35 calorie breads.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I personally use Healthy Life bread. They're generally 35 calories a slice, so I'm able to shave off some calories that way. Plus, IMO, it's good.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    That depends on the application.

Some people like using lettuce or cabbage as a wrap, instead of a sandwich.
    Or, maybe just a lower-Calorie bread.
    Or, maybe a tortilla or other wrap.

This!
  • raspberriliana
    raspberriliana Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I frickin' love bread and I still eat it quite often, but I'd recommend trying out rice cakes. I usually put some ricotta cheese/avocado + spices on top! YUM!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Ole' Xtreme Wellness tortillas wrap anything 50 calories and 10 grams of fiber.
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    iliyanka wrote: »
    I frickin' love bread and I still eat it quite often, but I'd recommend trying out rice cakes. I usually put some ricotta cheese/avocado + spices on top! YUM!

pk51.gif
  • farrell16
    farrell16 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've tried a similar recipe to this but with broccoli and it was to make a dough free pizza but it was pretty good, would also work as a bread substitute if trying to avoid all the refined carbs.

Cauliflower Bread Recipe
    ½ large cauliflower head, roughly chopped
    4 large eggs
    6 tablespoons coconut flour
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    Dried herbs of your choice (optional)

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Put cauliflower in food processor. Pulse 20–25 times until you get a rice-like consistency. Do not overstuff food processor; pulse in 2 to 3 batches.

2. Beat eggs quickly in bowl, then add dry ingredients. Slowly pour in cauliflower “rice” and mix to incorporate. Do not overmix.

3. Scoop up bread mixture evenly (there should be enough for 6 loaves). Flatten and mold to desired circle or square shape and arrange on baking sheet. (A baking mat will eliminate the need to oil the surface of baking sheet.) Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

4. Cool on cooling rack. Trim out excess dried-up egg liquids with scissors.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    +1 on less bread. Ill make open faced sandwiches/burgers (1 slice instead of 2), flatbread as pizza crusts instead on thicker crusts. There are options that let you still enjoy it.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Old Thyme makes a bread called 647. It's only 40 calories per slice with 6g net carbs. I cannot tell the difference between it and "regular" bread.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    tjones0411 wrote: »
    Old Thyme makes a bread called 647. It's only 40 calories per slice with 6g net carbs. I cannot tell the difference between it and "regular" bread.

This is the bread that I get. The slices a pretty thick (compared to Arnold & Sara Lee, for example) and it tastes good. Great for sandwiches.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    OP there's lots of low calorie options for bread if you enjoy eating it. I like Brownberry multi-grain slim rolls-two slices for 100 calories and they taste great toasted with light cheese spread and also as a base for sandwiches :)