I am so sick to death of this!!!!

Options
I get sick and tired of people who are against people who eat 1200 calories a day and sit and bash them. I am 45 years old and from the time I was a teen ager everyone I knew who went on diets ate 1200 a day. I put my stats into Fitness Pal and I got 1200 so I thought ok that is "normal" so that is what I did. It wasn't until I started reading posts that I saw with a lot of people it is the "Cardinal Sin" to eat that. I don't criticize people who eat way more than that a day. I don't generally criticize anyone. I have better things to do with my time. If a person chooses to eat 1200 or 2100 calories a day what concern is it to others. I have lost 43 pounds so far (5 before joining) and it has taken me 7 months to do it. I feel great! I look great and I am healthy so......Maybe if you people are really concerned about people who eat 1200 calories something other than berating and belittling them would work much better. Just a thought. (I do eat back a good chuck of my exercise calories and I exercise 5 X's a week.)

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I get sick and tired of people who are against people who eat 1200 calories a day and sit and bash them. I am 45 years old and from the time I was a teen ager everyone I knew who went on diets ate 1200 a day. I put my stats into Fitness Pal and I got 1200 so I thought ok that is "normal" so that is what I did. It wasn't until I started reading posts that I saw with a lot of people it is the "Cardinal Sin" to eat that. I don't criticize people who eat way more than that a day. I don't generally criticize anyone. I have better things to do with my time. If a person chooses to eat 1200 or 2100 calories a day what concern is it to others. I have lost 43 pounds so far (5 before joining) and it has taken me 7 months to do it. I feel great! I look great and I am healthy so......Maybe if you people are really concerned about people who eat 1200 calories something other than berating and belittling them would work much better. Just a thought. (I do eat back a good chuck of my exercise calories and I exercise 5 X's a week.)

Sometimes (this is crazy, I know) people are just trying to help others. The delivery of advice may not be ideal to each and every person but it doesn't discount the knowledge they are trying to impart. Take what you need from it and forget the rest! :drinker:

Usually when people say something about 1200 cal diets, it's either because those people are not eating back their exercise calories and could thus be in a possibly dangerous deficit or it's out of sympathy and experience, because they're been there but learned that you don't have to eat so little to lose weight. If you could eat more and still lose weight, wouldn't you want to? People are just trying to share with others that it isn't necessary and they can still have cake!

Good luck to you in all your weight loss goals and I hope you have an amazing weekend filled with lots of fun and happiness. :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • PamGeirng
    PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Yep reading another post where someone wants to bash their head in because someone said that they are eating 1200 calories a day. Really people?? If that is all it takes to make one want to bash their head in.... their life seems like it might be a little boring and shallow.
  • PamGeirng
    Options

Sometimes (this is crazy, I know) people are just trying to help others. The delivery of advice may not be ideal to each and every person but it doesn't discount the knowledge they are trying to impart. Take what you need from it and forget the rest! :drinker:

Usually when people say something about 1200 cal diets, it's either because those people are not eating back their exercise calories and could thus be in a possibly dangerous deficit or it's out of sympathy and experience, because they're been there but learned that you don't have to eat so little to lose weight. If you could eat more and still lose weight, wouldn't you want to? People are just trying to share with others that it isn't necessary and they can still have cake!

Good luck to you in all your weight loss goals and I hope you have an amazing weekend filled with lots of fun and happiness. :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:

You are right! Some people really do try to help out of concern but why do others say mean things to people who are really trying with the knowledge that they have. I am not talking about myself, I just read things from time to time and feel bad for people who think it is ok to say things to people in belittling ways. That does not show concern to me.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    My feeling is if you have no more than 1000 calorie deficit per day, are female, are getting all your nutrients/vitamins, aren't hungry, aren't lethargic, are exercising 30 minutes/day, aren't experiencing mood swings, and aren't making the lives of people around you miserable, and are losing weight no faster than 2#/week, then 1200 calories is fine. It's more that it is next to impossible for most people to get 5 servings of fruit and vegies AND 2 servings of dairy AND 35 grams of fiber and 2T of unsaturated fats AND all the vitamins and minerals they need without the help of a nutritionist/dietician. Hell, even if you ate all of that only as supplements, you'd probably consume 400 calories in the pills alone.

But you're right, bashing people for only eating 1200 calories IS wrong.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I often see very intelligent comments delivered with a dose of snark, or with a gif, or with a sense of irony, but I rarely see anyone actually bashing people with 1200 calorie diets. Now, I do see people bashing certain diets, but not the people. I'm sorry but at some point we all need to accept that not everyone's delivery is going to be absolutely soft petalled, and that tone of voice is inferred by the reader on here since we don't have the ability to convey that in words. #MFPneedssarcasmfont
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I often see very intelligent comments delivered with a dose of snark, or with a gif, or with a sense of irony, but I rarely see anyone actually bashing people with 1200 calorie diets. Now, I do see people bashing certain diets, but not the people. I'm sorry but at some point we all need to accept that not everyone's delivery is going to be absolutely soft petalled, and that tone of voice is inferred by the reader on here since we don't have the ability to convey that in words. #MFPneedssarcasmfont

exactly.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Just a thought....If it's safely your target, what do you care? Allowing the influence of others on your mindset will cause nothing but issues.
  • PamGeirng
    Options
    It is a little hard to misconstrue " I am going to bash my head in" because someone is talking again about eat 1200 calories.....I just think that if people don't like it or are sick of it shouldn't maybe say anything. Some people are new to CMFP and don't know countless other people may have asked the same questions. I see posts a lot of people saying the same things. I don't get the urge to criticize people for it.
  • PamGeirng
    Options
    *eating 1200
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm a former Marine...I come off rather gruff usually...because I am rather gruff usually...regardless of topic...I'm rather gruff in real life too. I personally try to refrain from saying anything unless they are netting super low calories...those poor girls scare me with their 500 net calories per day but they think they're being "healthy"...they're just destroying themselves.
  • PamGeirng
    Options
    ha ha apparently I cant type today MFP not CMFP
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't see this much. I see people reacting to those who are netting 1000 calories or less, mostly.

I guess that the people responding want to let others know that they can consume more calories and still lose. Often, when people restrict their caloric intake drastically, it sets them up for failure, because they aren't able to maintain it.
  • PamGeirng
    Options
    I'm a former Marine...I come off rather gruff usually...because I am rather gruff usually...regardless of topic...I'm rather gruff in real life too. I personally try to refrain from saying anything unless they are netting super low calories...those poor girls scare me with their 500 net calories per day but they think they're being "healthy"...they're just destroying themselves.
    I agree with you about girls eating low or way under 1200 calories..it scares me too! Maybe nobody has taught them about starvation mode. I think that people can give their opinion and advice absolutely but belittling a person shows to me how small the person belittling really is and doesn't really help anyone.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    It is a little hard to misconstrue " I am going to bash my head in" because someone is talking again about eat 1200 calories.....I just think that if people don't like it or are sick of it shouldn't maybe say anything. Some people are new to CMFP and don't know countless other people may have asked the same questions. I see posts a lot of people saying the same things. I don't get the urge to criticize people for it.

You are always going to have the occasional *kitten* hat, but I can honestly say that after about a year on here, I'm reasonably certain that most people are well meaning. Please also note the "tone" of your own OP and thread title. Do you think someone could misconstrue that as inflammatory? Remember to take what you want and leave the rest. It's just the internet.
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    Your moms eat 1,200 calories. OH SNAP!!!
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I agree with this. I've been doing 1,200 with lots of walking as exercise. I have done great this year (63 lbs lost currently). There are rare days I go over (cheat days, holidays, birthday). I've had perfectly normal blood work results throughout the year of me doing this.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I think, the biggest issue with the 1200 calories threads, is this: 85% of people do this

1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Yep reading another post where someone wants to bash their head in because someone said that they are eating 1200 calories a day. Really people?? If that is all it takes to make one want to bash their head in.... their life seems like it might be a little boring and shallow.

I think you are taking everyone too literally. But all the same, congrats on your weight loss!
  • PamGeirng
    Options
    I don't see this much. I see people reacting to those who are netting 1000 calories or less, mostly.

I guess that the people responding want to let others know that they can consume more calories and still lose. Often, when people restrict their caloric intake drastically, it sets them up for failure, because they aren't able to maintain it.
    Ok I have a question for you then? Is it more impossible for the person who has lost weight eating 1200 calories than the person who lost weight eating 2000 calories to keep it off? If so why? Just an honest question because I really do want to maintain the weight I have lost. This isn't really a diet for me in my mind but a lifestyle change so I plan on eating this way the rest of my life.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Eh, ignore them. They are hungry.:bigsmile:

Some people wish they could eat closer to 1200 they'd probably see more results, but they just can't restrain themselves to do it. Some may be envious? And it comes out in a crappy way.:flowerforyou: