I am so sick to death of this!!!!

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Eh, ignore them. They are hungry.:bigsmile:

Some people wish they could eat closer to 1200 they'd probably see more results, but they just can't restrain themselves to do it. Some may be envious? And it comes out in a crappy way.:flowerforyou:

Why would anyone wish they could eat that little?!

That's what I was gonna say...I don't envy anybody eating like a bird. I'm pretty sure my 3 year old eats more than 1200 calories in a given day.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I recently had a MFP friend mention to me that my 1200 calorie goal might be too little. So, I think I can relate to your complaint. I think people should ask more questions before telling others what to do. I believe this app/site is meant to be a help and accountability measure for all of us and so I do understand why people 'tell others what to do', but they really should first ask then share knowledge. What do you think?

This is what 'creepin' is for. Usually, people that eat this little STALL at some point and start 'cryin' about why they can't lose anymore weight... at this point, we understand why and no longer need to ask those questions. It becomes pretty obvious. I still don't say anything. If people want to remain in denial, let them :glasses:
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Well can I ask something as a serious question:

Why does MFP set it 1200 for most people? I'm having a really hard time figuring out what I should actually be eating. Ive been told to check my RMR, BMR, and make an equation of sorts. But I am having so much difficulty with this. So I've just stuck to 1200 so far and have been netting under 1000 myself every day since I started.

I know this is bad, I've been reading these forums every night all week. But some people are rather confused about how to go about calculating these things as so many terms and calculations are suggested.

I can see why people are irked at us 1200 people, but a lot of us go along the MFP stats in good faith in the beginning.

Edit: PS: If someone VERY kind is bored, you can help me? lmao!

Weight: 111lbs
    Height 4ft 8.5
    Sex: Female
    Lifestyle: Active
    Goal: 95lbs
    Timeframe: 1lbs per week.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Why does MFP set it 1200 for most people? I'm having a really hard time figuring out what I should actually be eating. Ive been told to check my RMR, BMR, and make an equation of sorts. But I am having so much difficulty with this. So I've just stuck to 1200 so far and have been netting under 1000 myself every day since I started.

I know this is bad, I've been reading these forums every night all week. But some people are rather confused about how to go about calculating these things as so many terms and calculations are suggested.

I can see why people are irked at us 1200 people, but a lot of us go along the MFP stats in good faith in the beginning.
    because people put in the wrong info to start, because mfp let's them. Check out my other reply in this thread about this exact thing. I'd quote it again, but I'm on my phone. Short answer, the system is flawed.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

Edit: PS: If someone VERY kind is bored, you can help me? lmao!

Weight: 111lbs
    Height 4ft 8.5
    Sex: Female
    Lifestyle: Active
    Goal: 95lbs
    Timeframe: 1lbs per week.

read this. it's written specifically to make it as easy as possible for somebody new to get started and avoid the confusing contradictions you'll find in the public forums (where anyone can post anything).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

use this info to customize your MFP settings.
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I think, the biggest issue with the 1200 calories threads, is this: 85% of people do this

1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.
  • Gee_24
    Options
    because people put in the wrong info to start, because mfp let's them. Check out my other reply in this thread about this exact thing. I'd quote it again, but I'm on my phone. Short answer, the system is flawed.

Thanks for the reply! I cant see how my height, weight and such can be the wrong information. The only other question was my lifestyle and it IS active. I have a physical job and walk 60 mins a day.

I'll have a look in at your other post.
  • BenchPressingCats
    Options

Thanks for the reply! I cant see how my height, weight and such can be the wrong information. The only other question was my lifestyle and it IS active. I have a physical job and walk 60 mins a day.

I'll have a look in at your other post.

Right above you, sweetie.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

because people put in the wrong info to start, because mfp let's than. Check out my other reply in this thread about this exact thing. I'd quote it again, but I'm on my phone. Short answer, the system is flawed.

MFP calculator estimates your needs for just average daily life, the amount your organs need and what you need for work, school, taking care of your kids, normal daily stuff, NOT INCLUDING EXERCISE. So then when you do exercise, you need to add extra fuel for that, it wasn't included in your total. Then when you get to the part where it says "I want to lost 2 pounds per week" (doesn't everyone?), it subtracts a flat 1,000 calories off of that, regardless of whether it is actually attainable for this person to lose 2 pounds per week. Unless you have like 75 pounds or more to lose, that isn't appropriate or realistic.

So, the average person comes here and perhaps their daily need without exercise is 2000 calories. MFP tries to subtract 1000 but it will not go below 1200, that is the default minimum. This person then exercises and burns 500 calories and decides "why should I eat more when I exercise, the point is burn more, right?". Now their net cals are 700 which is very unhealthy.

This is confusing to the average person and that is why there are dozens of threads every day on this subject. And helpful people like trog and others who care enough to take the time to try to make sure people don't make that mistake.

Oh, and, for the record, I was the person who posted the "bang head here" gif in that thread, and it wasn't specifically about the fact that people eat 1200, it was in response to the way parts of the discussion went. So, don't assume.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mo32bdbBpm1sub200o1_400_zps652f3032.gif

:heart: :heart: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Why do you post this? I will never understand why people feel the need to post something like this. There is no question. There is no advice seeking. There is only contention. Only stirring the s#i+.
  • Gee_24
    Options
    Thanks deksgrl, Benchpressing and BrainyBurro.

My TDEE is 1995.

20 % of that is almost 400 calories. So I now know I can eat 1600 calories and even eat back calories burned if I want to. ( Is a must that I always eat them back?.. I'll need to find that out for myself I guess. Everyone is different from what I can see. )

So living off of 1600 calories makes life so much more easier. Thank you all again.

I drink a lot of juice at work, and love my tea. And I can tell you, even with a lot of low cal fruit juice and zero drinks, at least a quarter of those 1200 usually goes on drinks. Making life difficult!
  • BenchPressingCats
    Options
    Thanks deksgrl, Benchpressing and BrainBurru.

My TDEE is 1995.

20 % of that is almost 400 calories. So I now know I can eat 1600 calories and even eat back calories burned if I want to. ( Is a must that I always eat them back?.. I'll need to find that out for myself I guess. Everyone is different from what I can see. )

So living off of 1600 calories makes life so much more easier. Thank you all again.

I drink a lot of juice at work, and love my tea. And I can tell you, even with a lot of low cal fruit juice and zero drinks, at least a quarter of those 1200 usually goes on drinks. Making life difficult!

That depends. What did you say your activity level was in the TDEE calculator and what is your real activity level? If they match (ie, if you are lightly active and you said you are lightly active) the calculator already factored in the calories you would burn from activity and you should stick to 1600. If you said you are sedentary when you are not, that is when you would eat back exercise calories.
  • Gee_24
    Options

That depends. What did you say your activity level was in the TDEE calculator and what is your real activity level? If they match (ie, if you are lightly active and you said you are lightly active) the calculator already factored in the calories you would burn from activity and you should stick to 1600. If you said you are sedentary when you are not, that is when you would eat back exercise calories.

I chose: Moderate. Exercise 3-5 days a week. That gave me 1995. So I wont be eating back exercise calories, that really helps answer another question!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Why do you post this? I will never understand why people feel the need to post something like this. There is no question. There is no advice seeking. There is only contention. Only stirring the s#i+.

a lot of ladies eating 1200 calories a day post threads like this...

in the threads they post, they invariably act very grumpy...

i wonder what could be making them so grumpy...

i wonder...

tumblr_luoz1m2dXv1r6aoq4o1_250.gif
  • poeticsuture
    Options
    This is some what relevant.

http://www.nature.com/news/calorie-restriction-falters-in-the-long-run-1.11297

It doesn't matter how many calories you eat, as long as they are the right kind and you have plenty of energy throughout the day.
  • BenchPressingCats
    Options

I chose: Moderate. Exercise 3-5 days a week. That gave me 1995. So I wont be eating back exercise calories, that really helps answer another question!

Also, because you are only wanting to lose 16 lbs, you can get away with setting your deficit at 15% instead of 20%.
  • Gee_24
    Options
    Also, because you are only wanting to lose 16 lbs, you can get away with setting your deficit at 15% instead of 20%.

Aaaaaaaaand....that takes me to 1700.

Thank you all. Very much.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options

a lot of ladies eating 1200 calories a day post threads like this...

in the threads they post, they invariably act very grumpy...

i wonder what could be making them so grumpy...

i wonder...

tumblr_luoz1m2dXv1r6aoq4o1_250.gif

Thread winner.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    This is some what relevant.

http://www.nature.com/news/calorie-restriction-falters-in-the-long-run-1.11297

It doesn't matter how many calories you eat, as long as they are the right kind and you have plenty of energy throughout the day.

this post is the perfect post to offer another "friday" gif as a response.
    Uh_wtf_gif.gif

so with that logic then, it doesnt matter how much gas you put in your car...as long as its the "right kind" of gas?

where is this magical energy going to come from?