Tired of some folks

Options

Replies

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are too sympathetic to their whining?

Maybe respond with "Are you tracking your food? If you aren't tracking then I don't want to hear about how your diet isn't working". If you are more of a task master and less sympathetic, they may just keep it to themselves more in the future, cause they know you are gonna call them on their BS.
  • staceysmith140
    staceysmith140 Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Prior to me getting into my fitness pal I had way to many "cheat days".. Now that I am tracking everything, know what my BMI is, it kind of has readjusted my focus to get much more serious..Also with there being a weight loss challenge at my gym, I find that I am a lot more motivated.. Being a solid week in, today was the first sugar craving I had, and I didn't cave. My dieting is proving to be harder on my boyfriend then it is on me.. So I have allowed us one cheat meal a week, the caveat being, did I work out that day and do I have the calorie deficit to support this cheat meal? Our cheat meal is typically blackened salmon burritos and 2 beers each from our favorite restaurant...

If you are on the journey to weight loss you have to take it serious, and I very much do. But we have to indulge in controlled moderation. But enjoy yourself and then put your game face back on.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Whenever I see posts like this I think "You're not ready" same as with the multiple versions of I'm doing everything right - why can't I lose? These people have not yet realized that behavior is responsible and only they are responsible for these behaviors. There is a critical psychological element to this.

This. I get annoyed, then realize they can't help it. They're just not ready. I shake my head and move on to reading posts from people I can learn something from. :)
  • Katimira
    Katimira Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Prior to me getting into my fitness pal I had way to many "cheat days".. Now that I am tracking everything, know what my BMI is, it kind of has readjusted my focus to get much more serious..Also with there being a weight loss challenge at my gym, I find that I am a lot more motivated.. Being a solid week in, today was the first sugar craving I had, and I didn't cave. My dieting is proving to be harder on my boyfriend then it is on me.. So I have allowed us one cheat meal a week, the caveat being, did I work out that day and do I have the calorie deficit to support this cheat meal? Our cheat meal is typically blackened salmon burritos and 2 beers each from our favorite restaurant...

If you are on the journey to weight loss you have to take it serious, and I very much do. But we have to indulge in controlled moderation. But enjoy yourself and then put your game face back on.

After reading this, I just feel compelled to say: I have never had a blackened salmon burrito, but dear god it sounds fantastic.

I'm hoping it's a chain restaurant. Am googling blackened salmon burritos in my area right after this.

Too new here to comment on frustrating people.

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I just keep telling myself that "A treat is not a cheat." There are days where I choose to have a higher calorie indulgence and fit it into my daily calories. There are days when I make lower-calorie choices. But I'm sticking with the plan.
  • stationlouisa
    stationlouisa Posts: 150 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    What I would like to say to those people is stop restricting so much that you feel you need a cheat day. Drop that kind of mindset and you will probably have more sustainable weight loss. Just eat the food you like every day in smaller portions. Learn to moderate.
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I refuse to use the "cheat day" phrase when it comes to my eating. Sometimes I make the choice to go over my calorie goals...other days...well I didn't plan on it...it just happened for whatever reason.

I am just not sure why we have to associate some guilt trip upon ourselves. Didn't we get enough of that when we were shoveling down the foods that got us to this point?.

Exactly!! I agree with both of you - what the hell is a cheat day, you chose to eat more for the day its not a crime, big deal just try not to do it too often. I'm with everyone else just dont read those posts or unfollow those friends. Thats what I have done.

Thanks for your "ran"t this is one of the few threads I have found extremely amusing LOL, rather than annoying

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Oh I also meant to say, that my nutrition coach at the gym even said to me, that it's not just a cheat day and then it's over and that's it... It continues beyond that... (I'm paraphrasing what I remember she said) because your gut has a balance of enzymes and bacteria etc and even your overall body levels can be affected - so even a cheat meal can upset that balance, and kill off your good bacteria meaning your body has to work hard to get over that sudden influx or sugar, or sodium or carbs or whatever was in that cheat meal, or cheat day.

It definitely gave me something to think about, and gave me, personally, all the more reason to not allow huge indulgences.
    No.

I'm not really sure what a nutrition coach is, but who you want to talk to is a registered dietitian. They are the only ones who are required to have a degree to use that name.
    Anyone can say they are a nutritionist.
  • annmareeofoz
    annmareeofoz Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Oh I also meant to say, that my nutrition coach at the gym even said to me, that it's not just a cheat day and then it's over and that's it... It continues beyond that... (I'm paraphrasing what I remember she said) because your gut has a balance of enzymes and bacteria etc and even your overall body levels can be affected - so even a cheat meal can upset that balance, and kill off your good bacteria meaning your body has to work hard to get over that sudden influx or sugar, or sodium or carbs or whatever was in that cheat meal, or cheat day.

It definitely gave me something to think about, and gave me, personally, all the more reason to not allow huge indulgences.

Ask your nutrition coach for some peer reviewed scientific references that support that logic...

I don't believe in cheat meals from a psychological standpoint, as I believe that perpetuates the whole "good food/bad food" dichotomy that is so mentally unhealthy for so many people. I believe in working in the foods I want every day, but that doesn't mean I don't often bank calories for a more indulgent weekend meal or a couple of days on vacation. As long as the indulgence doesn't wipe out your weekly deficit, then it doesn't have lasting negative impact for weight loss, aside from usually a temporary spike in water weight.

Gut bacteria seems to be one of the trendy topics of the moment when it comes to weight loss and overall health. If eating donuts or pizza, or other typical "cheat" meals caused your body to stop functioning optimally and derailed progress- there wouldn't be so many successful people on this site who lost weight while indulging, at whatever frequency they feel comfortable with.

And where's your peer reviewed scientific references in denial of it? Works both ways...

Besides - I'm talking about OVER-indulgence, and drastic changes from the norm, not just a treat here and there that is incorporated into your meal plans. I'm talking about a binge or large 'cheat' that drastically differs from your regular plan. I personally know that on a day where I've stumbled and gobbled up a large pack of Doritos, I can definitely feel it the next few days, especially in my stomach and colon (bowel movements) and it definitely affects my blood pressure readings, and it takes a while for everything to return back to normal again afterward. So that is enough for me to believe there MAY be SOME merit to the idea.

It's at least a reasonable expectation and bit of advice that a large cheat/binge from your norm will affect your body -regardless of your beliefs on bacteria/enzyme etc.
    By all means everyone's entitled to believe what ever they want. I didn't come to debate or argue, only to advise and assist, but hey I forgot forums like this just love to pick apart others and argue despite a post being made free of contention.

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Ask your nutrition coach for some peer reviewed scientific references that support that logic...

I don't believe in cheat meals from a psychological standpoint, as I believe that perpetuates the whole "good food/bad food" dichotomy that is so mentally unhealthy for so many people. I believe in working in the foods I want every day, but that doesn't mean I don't often bank calories for a more indulgent weekend meal or a couple of days on vacation. As long as the indulgence doesn't wipe out your weekly deficit, then it doesn't have lasting negative impact for weight loss, aside from usually a temporary spike in water weight.

Gut bacteria seems to be one of the trendy topics of the moment when it comes to weight loss and overall health. If eating donuts or pizza, or other typical "cheat" meals caused your body to stop functioning optimally and derailed progress- there wouldn't be so many successful people on this site who lost weight while indulging, at whatever frequency they feel comfortable with.

And where's your peer reviewed scientific references in denial of it? Works both ways...

Besides - I'm talking about OVER-indulgence, and drastic changes from the norm, not just a treat here and there that is incorporated into your meal plans. I'm talking about a binge or large 'cheat' that drastically differs from your regular plan. I personally know that on a day where I've stumbled and gobbled up a large pack of Doritos, I can definitely feel it the next few days, especially in my stomach and colon (bowel movements) and it definitely affects my blood pressure readings, and it takes a while for everything to return back to normal again afterward.

It's a reasonable expectation and bit of advice - by all means everyone's entitled to believe what ever they want. I didn't come to debate or argue, only to advise and assist, but hey I forgot forums like this just love to pick apart others and argue to make themselves feel better. So continue your Carry-On if it makes you feel more superior and better about yourself!

The burden of proof is with you - you made the claim

LOGICAL FALLACY:

You said that the burden of proof lies not with the person making the claim, but with someone else to disprove.

The burden of proof lies with someone who is making a claim, and is not upon anyone else to disprove. The inability, or disinclination, to disprove a claim does not render that claim valid, nor give it any credence whatsoever. However it is important to note that we can never be certain of anything, and so we must assign value to any claim based on the available evidence, and to dismiss something on the basis that it hasn't been proven beyond all doubt is also fallacious reasoning.

Example: Bertrand declares that a teapot is, at this very moment, in orbit around the Sun between the Earth and Mars, and that because no one can prove him wrong, his claim is therefore a valid one.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/burden-of-proof
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    OP some people like to complain it makes them feel better
    you can either tell them to do something about it if they keep yakking on about the same thing
    or you can zone them out
    I've chosen to not post rather than say what I want to sometimes. I like it here and don't want to get banned. :p

@MrsKila - You're spot on. It's frustrating. What tempers my replies though are my wife, daughter and a good friend. They all finally started after watching me for a year, saying they're going to do something, and never doing it, and then finally starting after seeing my results.

My wife is down 20 lbs now, and started strength training. :)

The forum folks - I'm learning how to just not see their threads any more lol.

I've perfected the fine art of skimming contributions from certain posters. I'm sure some feel the same about me.

I enjoy reading your posts. Waves! :smiley: And #truth, there some user names I recognize as posting wisery, some for wisecrackery and some ... well, some I just can't take. To each their own. I learn so much here, including how I don't want to treat people when I'm on anonymous message boards on the internet.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    HG210 wrote: »
    Wow, I have to admit I am being emotionally convicted by these post (THANKS). I felt as if I did really well the whole week last week and had an awesome workout on Saturday. Lost two lbs but the scale says I gained it right back. I felt like I was going crazy and it's all due to that "CHEAT DAY" nonsense. I was telling my husband the whole weekend I was allowed one but "NO" I'm not. My body rejected it so a cheat day is nonsense. Thank you for all your comments. It help me to reset. First time and last time for a cheat day. Who ever needs one can have mine. Thanks Guys

I don't cheat, I just eat.
  • annmareeofoz
    annmareeofoz Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

Besides - I'm talking about OVER-indulgence, and drastic changes from the norm, not just a treat here and there that is incorporated into your meal plans. I'm talking about a binge or large 'cheat' that drastically differs from your regular plan. I personally know that on a day where I've stumbled and gobbled up a large pack of Doritos, I can definitely feel it the next few days, especially in my stomach and colon (bowel movements) and it definitely affects my blood pressure readings, and it takes a while for everything to return back to normal again afterward.

It's a reasonable expectation and bit of advice - by all means everyone's entitled to believe what ever they want. I didn't come to debate or argue, only to advise and assist, but hey I forgot forums like this just love to pick apart others and argue to make themselves feel better. So continue your Carry-On if it makes you feel more superior and better about yourself!

LOGICAL FALLACY:

You said that the burden of proof lies not with the person making the claim, but with someone else to disprove.

The burden of proof lies with someone who is making a claim, and is not upon anyone else to disprove. The inability, or disinclination, to disprove a claim does not render that claim valid, nor give it any credence whatsoever. However it is important to note that we can never be certain of anything, and so we must assign value to any claim based on the available evidence, and to dismiss something on the basis that it hasn't been proven beyond all doubt is also fallacious reasoning.

Example: Bertrand declares that a teapot is, at this very moment, in orbit around the Sun between the Earth and Mars, and that because no one can prove him wrong, his claim is therefore a valid one.

lol nope, I just paraphrased advice someone else had given to me at one point... I even used the term paraphrasing. I never once CLAIMED it was 100% true, or studied, did I????

I just said it gave me MYSELF in my opinion, a pause for thought on what /I/ do, and how I think about food and cheats/treats etc.

So, again, tell me how you're not just trying to argue for the sake of argument, to make yourself feel better in life?

Do you really think a health/fitness weight loss forum on the internet has to full of completely peer reviewed studies on every single bit of opinion or advice?

I'm sure if we looked back at your posts we'd see some erroneous replies.

Anywho, as I said have fun with your carry-on - you'll have to do it without me. Thanks for showing me why I don't bother to participate in these forums, people always ruin everything. :(
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

Besides - I'm talking about OVER-indulgence, and drastic changes from the norm, not just a treat here and there that is incorporated into your meal plans. I'm talking about a binge or large 'cheat' that drastically differs from your regular plan. I personally know that on a day where I've stumbled and gobbled up a large pack of Doritos, I can definitely feel it the next few days, especially in my stomach and colon (bowel movements) and it definitely affects my blood pressure readings, and it takes a while for everything to return back to normal again afterward. So that is enough for me to believe there MAY be SOME merit to the idea.

It's at least a reasonable expectation and bit of advice that a large cheat/binge from your norm will affect your body -regardless of your beliefs on bacteria/enzyme etc.
    By all means everyone's entitled to believe what ever they want. I didn't come to debate or argue, only to advise and assist, but hey I forgot forums like this just love to pick apart others and argue despite a post being made free of contention.

As I say to my daughter all the time, we don't have to like the same things we don't always share the same oppinion
    It's not arguing
  • Therealobi1
    edited January 2017
    Options

LOGICAL FALLACY:

lol nope, I just paraphrased advice someone else had given to me at one point... I even used the term paraphrasing. I never once CLAIMED it was 100% true, or studied, did I????

I just said it gave me MYSELF in my opinion, a pause for thought on what /I/ do, and how I think about food and cheats/treats etc.

So, again, tell me how you're not just trying to argue for the sake of argument, to make yourself feel better in life?

Do you really think a health/fitness weight loss forum on the internet has to full of completely peer reviewed studies on every single bit of opinion or advice?

Anywho, as I said have fun with your carry-on - you'll have to do it without me. Thanks for showing me why I don't bother to participate in these forums, people always ruin everything. :(

Your a member just like the rest of us, post away
    Don't feel like that
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Lol, I'm never tired of it. I just tell them they are full of crap and if they really want to do this, then we'll talk. If not, I got some cheese for that whine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, I'm never tired of it. I just tell them they are full of crap and if they really want to do this, then we'll talk. If not, I got some cheese for that whine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Lol, your so polite don't believe that ha,
    Have you used that on clients
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

LOGICAL FALLACY:

Whoa. Overreact much?