What the hell is going on to my face?! Please help

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    @ButterballBookworm just looked and coke zero has 30 mg for 355ml. The sodium is the same as water. 30mg is nowhere near a scary amount of sodium
  • burthdaygurl
    burthdaygurl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    SODIUM. It makes your body retain fluids. I suggest that you cut out the soda! :)
  • burthdaygurl
    Options
    Hi,

I noticed that when my sister drank loads of soda her face would puff up.

She also had a round face and used to drink lots of soda.

As soon as she cut the soda out (which was very difficult) her face changed and had definition.

Try to cut the soda and drink water and see if it changes your face.

Hope that's the answer x

The high sodium content found inside soda is the culprit!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    @burthdaygurl soda DOES NOT contain a high amount of sodium!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Sodas contain a scary amount of sodium - could it be water retention from that?
    SODIUM. It makes your body retain fluids. I suggest that you cut out the soda! :)

This is one of the most mind-boggling myths to me. Soda has about the same amount of sodium as tap water. Have you actually looked on the back of a soda can at the sodium content? Or did you read this somewhere and decide it was true?

Psst - it isn't true.
    Candida83 wrote: »
    The aspartame in those diet sodas is HORRIBLE for you. I would highly recommend cutting those out!!!

No it isn't.

OP - you are quite thin and on the lower end of the BMI scale. You should not be worried about having a round face. If the rest of your family has a round face, it seems like it could be genetic. And I agree with the others who are saying that you worrying so much about it at your low weight is a bit alarming.

If you are truly concerned, continue discussing with your doctor. If this is a serious concern, it should be addressed by a medical professional. You should listen to him/her. If he/she doesn't seem concerned and they've ruled out anything serious, don't worry about it.

If you can't stop worrying about it, and it is interfering with your normal activities and keeping you from enjoying your life, I would suggest seeking out a therapist to help you overcome your anxiety over it.
  • anabelrose
    anabelrose Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Drink a TON of water and eat less salt and sugar
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking the soda.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    It might not be because of sodium, but soda made my face puffy.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I noticed that when my sister drank loads of soda her face would puff up.

She also had a round face and used to drink lots of soda.

As soon as she cut the soda out (which was very difficult) her face changed and had definition.

Try to cut the soda and drink water and see if it changes your face.

Hope that's the answer x

The high sodium content found inside soda is the culprit!

No. Perhaps you have to read the thread again. Soda has as much sodium as......water. Yeah.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Diet Coke has 40 mg of sodium per can. That is 1.75% of the recommended daily sodium max (2300 mg.) Hardly scary and hardly enough on its own in moderation to make a person's face get bloated. Sodium, like fat and like carbs, is not something that has to be avoided completely and is part of a healthy diet.

there are so many myths out there, but I really don't understand how/why people believe this one when all you have to do is look at the can/bottle to see the numbers for yourself! coke zero i'm drinking now actually only has 30mg :smiley:
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Diet Coke has 40 mg of sodium per can. That is 1.75% of the recommended daily sodium max (2300 mg.) Hardly scary and hardly enough on its own in moderation to make a person's face get bloated. Sodium, like fat and like carbs, is not something that has to be avoided completely and is part of a healthy diet.

there are so many myths out there, but I really don't understand how/why people believe this one when all you have to do is look at the can/bottle to see the numbers for yourself! coke zero i'm drinking now actually only has 30mg :smiley:

Uh oh. The diet coke I had last night had a whopping 40 mg and now I look like a snake bite victim!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Okay so maybe I'm on a different page but when I lose weight I tend to lose it in my face first. When my weight loss sort of started to level off I noticed my face filled out a bit but other areas slimmed down. I think it's the body's way of redistributing the fat. If your doc says you're healthy I wouldn't panic unless it is true swelling.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Am I crazy for thinking OP was eating at a deficit (depleting glycogen) and is now eating at maintenance (replenishing glycogen) and that maybe that can affect his face?

OP, I guess you could back on diet soda based on the anecdotes in this thread, but I don't see why it would have an effect... If you do it, report back. I'm curious.
  • burthdaygurl
    Options
    Sodas contain a scary amount of sodium - could it be water retention from that?

This is one of the most mind-boggling myths to me. Soda has about the same amount of sodium as tap water. Have you actually looked on the back of a soda can at the sodium content? Or did you read this somewhere and decide it was true?

Psst - it isn't true.
    Candida83 wrote: »
    The aspartame in those diet sodas is HORRIBLE for you. I would highly recommend cutting those out!!!

No it isn't.

OP - you are quite thin and on the lower end of the BMI scale. You should not be worried about having a round face. If the rest of your family has a round face, it seems like it could be genetic. And I agree with the others who are saying that you worrying so much about it at your low weight is a bit alarming.

If you are truly concerned, continue discussing with your doctor. If this is a serious concern, it should be addressed by a medical professional. You should listen to him/her. If he/she doesn't seem concerned and they've ruled out anything serious, don't worry about it.

If you can't stop worrying about it, and it is interfering with your normal activities and keeping you from enjoying your life, I would suggest seeking out a therapist to help you overcome your anxiety over it.

I looked it up and you are right. Thank-you for correcting me. Learning as I go!
  • burthdaygurl
    Options
    @burthdaygurl soda DOES NOT contain a high amount of sodium!

Thanks, I checked it out and you are correct. I guess I heard it once and believed it to be true. Learning as I go; thanks for correcting me.