Hello everyone! I'm 3 weeks post-op bariatric surgery, anyone else?

Options
I'm looking for more people like me who have had bariatric surgery. I'm only 3 weeks post op and would love to connect with people that are already on this journey to share experiences with and just for support.

Replies

• CaptainAmericaGirlYASSS
    Options
    Hi, I'm 11months out! :) Feb 19 will be my sleeve 1st bday!
  • AvaPowers
    AvaPowers Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm learning how to post here, bare with me!
  • AvaPowers
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi, I'm 11months out! :) Feb 19 will be my sleeve 1st bday!

Hi there! Congratulations on your almost 1st yr anniversary! How do you feel? Are you still excited/happy about your decision to get surgery?
  • AvaPowers
    Options
    Quasita wrote: »
    I had a gastric bypass on 11/16/16 and I vlog about it on youtube, channel is called Chubbalicious. Also have a FB page.

Oh how wonderful! Thank you, I will definitely be checking out! Congratulations on your surgery!

I'm still at the uncomfortable stage, so some days I still wake up wondering why in the world I accepted to do this!
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    AvaPowers wrote: »
    I had a gastric bypass on 11/16/16 and I vlog about it on youtube, channel is called Chubbalicious. Also have a FB page.

Oh how wonderful! Thank you, I will definitely be checking out! Congratulations on your surgery!

I'm still at the uncomfortable stage, so some days I still wake up wondering why in the world I accepted to do this!

I have found it an interesting thing really, because I have not had a point where I thought "Why did I do this?" Lots of people in the support groups express regret early on but I never had a sense of regret. I think it helped me a lot to lose a lot and spend a good 5 years making the decision and changing my life. The transition to pre/post-op dietary limitations was not hard. I mostly struggle with actually taking in calories and water, and knowing my physical limitations... i.e. I have been doing my hour of exercise 5-7 days a week so I went to a concert thinking I should be ready, and learned the hard way that I'm not conditioned yet.
    My body pain has gotten way worse but it was expected.

I hope you can progress out of the tinged-with-regret mental state soon.
  • AvaPowers
    edited January 2017
    Options

I have found it an interesting thing really, because I have not had a point where I thought "Why did I do this?" Lots of people in the support groups express regret early on but I never had a sense of regret. I think it helped me a lot to lose a lot and spend a good 5 years making the decision and changing my life. The transition to pre/post-op dietary limitations was not hard. I mostly struggle with actually taking in calories and water, and knowing my physical limitations... i.e. I have been doing my hour of exercise 5-7 days a week so I went to a concert thinking I should be ready, and learned the hard way that I'm not conditioned yet.
    My body pain has gotten way worse but it was expected.

I hope you can progress out of the tinged-with-regret mental state soon.

Hey! I'm viewing your videos!

Why are you having body pain? Did you already have an underlying problem prior to your surgery? I did, I have had fibromyalgia for the past 14 years. Pain and other horrible stomach issues are what drove me to decide this was the best solution for me (per medical suggestion). Should I expect my body pain to increase? I was told I should expect my pain to decrease.
  • julstew3
    julstew3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I had sleeve surgery one month ago today.
  • AvaPowers
    Options
    Hi! I had sleeve surgery one month ago today.

Hi! That's great, congratulations! Sounds like you're only 1 week ahead of me. How are you feeling so far?
  • julstew3
    julstew3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am feeling really good! Some days are better than others, but I have found if I walk a few times a day, I feel better. The hardest part has really been cooking meals for my family that I can't eat. :smile: How are you feeling?
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    A woman I know is having bariatric surgery, she told me she can't eat for a week leading up to the surgery. That seems extreme to me- is that normal pre-op?
  • SwirlockHomie76
    SwirlockHomie76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    A woman I know is having bariatric surgery, she told me she can't eat for a week leading up to the surgery. That seems extreme to me- is that normal pre-op?

Every doctor is different, my preop liver shrink diet was like the slim fast diet, protein shake with fruit or veggies for breakfast and lunch, 3 ounces lean protein with veggies for dinner, no snacks.
  • SwirlockHomie76
    SwirlockHomie76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for more people like me who have had bariatric surgery. I'm only 3 weeks post op and would love to connect with people that are already on this journey to share experiences with and just for support.

I'm 4 months out, sleeved on 9/8, and doing well, hormones seem to be simmering down now, so there is an end in sight for that, if you're having any of those problems... It's a struggle some days to eat what I should, some days I get it right, some days I still flop, but no buyer's remorse here... I'd go through even the worst parts of it again.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options

Every doctor is different, my preop liver shrink diet was like the slim fast diet, protein shake with fruit or veggies for breakfast and lunch, 3 ounces lean protein with veggies for dinner, no snacks.

Ok that seems a bit more reasonable. It would seem impossible to not eat for 6 days!
  • AvaPowers
    Options
    julstew3 wrote: »
    I am feeling really good! Some days are better than others, but I have found if I walk a few times a day, I feel better. The hardest part has really been cooking meals for my family that I can't eat. :smile: How are you feeling?

Same as you, some days are for sure better than others! You know, it's unbelievable how much walking does help things out. I am walking more now than I have in a long time. Night time is still a struggle, I still can't get comfortable enough to sleep without back pain. I'm used to moving a lot in bed and changing positions constantly, I can't do that now.
  • AvaPowers
    Options

My surgeon did not require me to do any kind of pre-op diet. I really couldn't tell you what that would entail...I suppose it is like SwirlockHomie76 described...a slim-fast type diet.
  • coffman34
    coffman34 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am officially 3 days post-op RNY.

So far I have no regret, and have had a positive experience with everything. Surgery went great, hospital stay went great!

Trying to find ways to make sure I keep on my vitamins and nutrients.

I had no previous medications which I had taken with regular frequency. So the whole taking medicine at certain times has been the hardest adjustment for me. Working on my water and protein intake.

Nice to see there's others close by!
  • AvaPowers
    Options

I'm 4 months out, sleeved on 9/8, and doing well, hormones seem to be simmering down now, so there is an end in sight for that, if you're having any of those problems... It's a struggle some days to eat what I should, some days I get it right, some days I still flop, but no buyer's remorse here... I'd go through even the worst parts of it again.

Congratulations on your surgery! From what I've know, nobody can consistently eat what they should always. So you are not alone!

• AvaPowers
    Options
    coffman34 wrote: »
    I am officially 3 days post-op RNY.

So far I have no regret, and have had a positive experience with everything. Surgery went great, hospital stay went great!

Trying to find ways to make sure I keep on my vitamins and nutrients.

I had no previous medications which I had taken with regular frequency. So the whole taking medicine at certain times has been the hardest adjustment for me. Working on my water and protein intake.

Nice to see there's others close by!

Oh my goodness! Wow, 3 days? Congratulations! I'm glad to know you've had such a good experience so far. Definitely stay hydrated! I found a flavorless protein powder at GNC called Genepro that gives you 30g of protein in one small scoop! I mix it with half an Atkins protein shake which gives me a total of 42g of protein per serving.
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi. I had RNY Dec 15 2016. Just started solid foods and doing well so far.
  • Krkr751
    Krkr751 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! 5'7" HW 236, SW 228 (VSG 1/12/17), CW 213, GW 150. All going as expected, but I do feel hungry - wasn't expecting that. Purée phase now for 2 more weeks.