Beer or Vodka?

Options
124»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I love Miller Lite (96 calories per 12 oz) but it's a diet killer. Is it better to switch to vodka (65 calories per 1 oz) for the waistline even though it has 35% alcohol vs 4.2% for Miller Lite? At what point do you trade calories for liver function?

Vodka: 35% x 1 oz. = 0.35 oz alcohol
    Beer: 4.2% x 12oz = 0.504 oz alcohol

I wouldn't drink Miller Lite if you paid me (rather have real water, thanks), but I'm not seeing the tradeoff. The beer has more calories and more alcohol.

But the difference is minor, on both fronts, if you don't drink lots of either, often. Drink what you enjoy, within your calorie goal. Don't let alcohol regularly drive out your nutrition to hit calories, or let alcohol drive out water either. You'll be fine.

But maybe I drank too much craft beer while losing 60+ pounds, ruining both liver and brain, thus ability to do arithmetic? ;)

I know you got the 35% from the OP, but where are people finding 70 proof (35% alcohol) vodka. I'm no expert, but I don't think I've ever seen any under 80 proof (40% alcohol)?

Other than I, I totally agree with you. More alcohol in the bottle of beer than in a single 1 oz. shot of vodka (even at 80 proof).

OP, at one serving per day, I don't think a tenth of an ounce of alcohol one way or the other is going to make a big difference to a healthy liver. If you're drinking enough that the small difference per serving actually starts to mount up to something significant, you're drinking so much either way that you're probably not doing your calorie budget or your liver function any good.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Just stop drinking. When you're dieting it's going to do more than just add calories to prevent fat loss. You'll be wasting your time unless it's very infrequent.

NO!!

I drink beer regularly and am doing just fine. Vodka comes into my life too!
  • csy108
    csy108 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Just stop drinking. When you're dieting it's going to do more than just add calories to prevent fat loss. You'll be wasting your time unless it's very infrequent.

Schwat? How did I lose 21 pounds in 4 months in 2014 while drinking (way too often)?
  • tengwar93
    tengwar93 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Depends on whether you want to just get drunk or enjoy the taste.
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    OP Drink what you enjoy. I don't think one or the other will be worse for your liver unless you're binge drinking. Best to drink in moderation. =) If the calories fit, go for the beer. I personally prefer the vodka, but i like to mix it with sugar free soda.

On another note, in before the lock.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I find that since I'm watching calories, I make sure I'm drinking something good. So a nice Porter or Guinness is my go to beer, a decent gin (with diet tonic) or good scotch on the rocks if I want something harder and a good red wine with a meal. A glass of water between drinks if I'm having more than one, and not gulped down so I can get to my next drink quicker either.

No Bud Light or crap wine for me anymore.

Down 65 lbs (junk science my *kitten*) but continuing to enjoy my life.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    tengwar93 wrote: »

A vodka and diet tonic with a twist of lime is delicious, particularly on a hot summer evening.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Neither. Silver tequila. :D
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    oh, and I think we missed the most obvious answer....

BOTH
  • steph_runn44
    steph_runn44 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking vodka water with a lemon and it is really good and low calorie. I think you could have any drink as long as it fits into your calories. I have been avoiding margaritas because sugar (sad) but you don't have to give anything up. That's why MFP doesn't seem like a hard core diet.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    <--- In my profile photo I'm drinking a 2016 Dark Lord. I don't think that leaves much question as to where I stand. Drink the good stuff.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I like beer so I drink the Bud Light Platinum. Its 137 calories but 6% alcohol.

Vodka makes me moody for some reason.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Decent vodka (grey goose or belverdere) and Diet Coke is what I have if I drink whilst in a deficit.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,247 Member
    Options
    I much prefer rum or whiskey personally. Unless it is a hot summer day, then beer would be my drink of choice. I just try to fit it in my calories.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    tengwar93 wrote: »

A vodka and diet tonic with a twist of lime is delicious, particularly on a hot summer evening.

A Seabreeze is my hot weather drink. Vodka, cranberry, and a splash of grapefruit juice over lots of ice. A bit more caloric with all that juice, but so refreshing.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I'm a homebrewer and always budget in enough calories for a solid ale. I let Untappd and MFP duke it out over my soul. If not beer then it's a good scotch, bourbon, or whiskey. I let the occasion dictate the beverage.
  • gdsmit1
    gdsmit1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Love my booze.... Another MFP posted this website and it's great.

www.getdrunknotfat.com Basically you can calculate the booze to calorie ratio to get the best bang for your buck.

Outstanding web site. Thanks for sharing it.

Like others have said, drink what you like. Just keep it in your caloric goals. All things in moderation.