Hello^-^! I was recently prescribed phentermine...

Options

Replies

• kelleemayling
    kelleemayling Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed it for 3 months, only took it for 2. I also felt like I was on speed and going into heart failure. The thing I hated about it the most was that it made me not want to eat at all. I had to force myself to eat and couldn't even consume 800 calories a day. Needless to say when I got off of it and went back to eating normally I gained all the weight back very quickly.

Other people I know that took it didn't have the "speed" feeling, but to each their own, right. I think it's good to tool to boost start a large weight loss in the beginning for motivation but unless you develop a healthy relationship with food it could sabatag you in the long run. Good luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I took phen with fen in the 90s, lost 60 pounds effortlessly, learned nothing as my appetite was artificially suppressed by an amphetamine-like drug, and gained it all back when I stopped taking it.

Having heart problems these days and just had an echocardiogram today.

It's not just fenfluramine that causes problems; see this post by @itschanelle :
    I have seen a lot of posts on and off about this and other weight loss drugs. I can vouch that they absolutely work. I have lost a lot weight using Phentermine on and off throughout about a 10 year span.

BUT...

The weight doesn't stay off. And those side effects? They are real.

You could take Phentermine and lose the weight, but you might end up like me. I'm 30 years old, slightly over weight, and have moderate tricuspid valve regurgitation. As in, I might need open heart surgery because my heart was damaged by Phentermine. To be clear, I never took it for more than a few months at a time, was monitored by a doctor, and did everything "right".

My lifespan has likely been shortened to lose a few pounds. Weight I could have lost on my own with a little bit of gumption. It wasn't worth it.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    mjon11 wrote: »
    I absolutely love it but it makes it so I can't sleep at night...and I mean ALL night. There have been several nights where I didn't fall asleep at all and ended up being awake for 30+ hours, which ultimately isn't healthy either, so I stopped.

I absolutely hated it! I too barely slept at all, it was like stepping into a sleep deprivation torture chamber each and every night, along with the other crap that came along with them, i wasn't even me any more by the end!
    No amount of promised weight loss would make me go through those horrific side effects ever again.
  • Determined_Cupcake
    Options
    Wow Kshama2001 thank you for sharing. I plan on taking the pill the shortest time possible for me. I know with any medications there can be severe side effects. As far as food goes I've been eating my 1500 calories without problem. No side effects so far but I'm also taking a lower dosage.
  • sweetiep1025
    sweetiep1025 Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I was put on it about 2 1/2 months ago, I lost 65 lbs on my own and got stuck for a couple months so my MD gave me phentermine for a kick. The first few days I was jittery and had lots of energy and I helped with losing weight. I have had a hard time sleeping at night some times. I am still talking it but I seem to be stuck again with the weight on the scale even though my fat has decreased and my muscle has increased. I have 10 more lbs to go to where I would be happy with weight wise! I don't think it's a bad idea for a short term, you just need to help the meds out by watching what you eat!
  • Determined_Cupcake
    Options
    I definatly agree. I've become a meal prepping machine; I even prep for my brother. I'm hoping for as short term as possible- enough to redevelop the good habits I used to have.
  • witchyitchyaya
    witchyitchyaya Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You're so lucky. I would kill to get a hold of that shiz. I used to take all kinds of diet pills when ephedra was allowed! I would've taken phen phen if i could've gotten it.
    I really appreciate a good appetite suppressant cuz of my lack of self control. And an energy stimulant. Gets me moving and losing.
  • Christine_72
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You're so lucky. I would kill to get a hold of that shiz. I used to take all kinds of diet pills when ephedra was allowed! I would've taken phen phen if i could've gotten it.
    I really appreciate a good appetite suppressant cuz of my lack of self control. And an energy stimulant. Gets me moving and losing.

But what happens when you stop taking it? You can't be on an artificial appetite suppressant forever. I'd say your liver and heart would give out eventually if you did.

• Determined_Cupcake
    Options
    You still have to develop good habits, otherwise you've just lost (some) weight and it's only prescribed short term- you would still have to eat at a deficit to reach your goal.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    It had no effect on me. I was 259# and Rx'd the 37.5 pill. I took it for a month before throwing it into the back of my cupboard. I had no dry mouth, no increased heart rate, no thirst, nothing, and no added energy in fact it made me rather tired. I even tried taking it on an empty stomach a few hours before bed and I could tell it was taking effect because I would feel like I was -less- buzzed and slept like a baby. But it really did nothing for me at all, it was like having a cup of coffee which likewise does not give me any buzz: I drink coffee at night because it relaxes me, like a cup of tea or warm milk-- but yeah, no weight loss or anything. It was kind of disappointing.

Do you by chance also have adhd? It's common for folks with adhd to react that way to stimulants; some people who are undiagnosed into adulthood self-treat with massive amounts of coffee/caffeine without even knowing it. I don't know about phentermine specifically but your post has me curious now.
  • GingersnapMI
    GingersnapMI Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to be reading everyone's experiences! As I said in my own post in this thread, I'm having a great experience w/phen so far. It's been very effective in appetite suppression, doesn't make me feel hyped-up, no problems sleeping, etc. I also have a definite plan for when I stop using it in three months time and am fully aware that I will have to work harder to remain successful.
    Using phen is a personal choice between you and your doctor. As you can see, everyone reacts differently to it. Frankly, if I had some of the side effects mentioned here by others, I'd stop taking it, too. I guess I'm lucky that I'm only dealing with dry mouth and constipation.
    As for some people posting about regaining weight after phen use, well, that's a possibility after any weight loss. I lost 60 pounds in 2012, without any med use, and gained it all back plus an extra 20. The key with weight loss, with or without phen, is to be of the mindset that you are making a permanent healthy change in your eating habits and to keep working at it. :smile:
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    GingersnapMI..I fully agree, its what you do after your "diet" that will make you a success, if you stop counting what you eat and go back to just eating without mindfulness...you will gain your weight back and possibly more. Been there-done that-not anymore.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I definatly agree. I've become a meal prepping machine; I even prep for my brother. I'm hoping for as short term as possible- enough to redevelop the good habits I used to have.

You've described a lot of good habits you are working on: eating at a calorie deficit, meal prepping, exercising... those are all fantastic! I'm curious what it is you think this drug is doing that you couldn't just do on your own? You already said you plan to take it for the shortest amount of time possible, why even bother with some of the potential risks associated with it and some of the experiences outlined here? Why not just stick with those good habits and do this all on your own so you can take credit when you have long term success, and not feel (erroneously) that the drug had something to do with it?
  • Determined_Cupcake
    Options
    WineGelato- It helps because it gives me a bit of energy and more control over my appetite. This is just a start for me I used to be an avid runner and had great eating habits- until I suffered a bad bout of depression. Now that I am starting to relearn what I once knew- it's a tool to help me and TBH helps me not to give up quickly since I have a doctor to answer to.
  • sessa1970
    sessa1970 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am currently taking Phentermine as well. I do know that the ingredient in Fen-Phen that was causing deaths was the Fenfluramine and not the Phentermine. I only take half a pill per day, and I have lost 9 lbs. It is helpful for me because I notice that I eat less (smaller portions fill me up) when taking it. However, I believe that you truly have to make lifestyle adjustments to live a happy healthy and fit life. You cannot rely on weight loss pills alone because once you stop taking them, you will gain it all back. This is just a temporary tool to help motivate me.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

This is the exact reason you personally *shouldn't* take this drug. If you went into it with the attitude that you have, you'd probably end up regaining any loss that you achieved and ultimately gain nothing from taking the drug. I think going into something like this with the right attitude (it's a short term tool with specific goals) is key to having it work and long term keeping weight off.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Please be careful when taking this drug, the possible risks outweigh the short term benefits.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10329901/phentermine/p1
  • Determined_Cupcake
    Options
    Thank you for posting this information for the people that don't know the risks.
  • davidtcharron
    davidtcharron Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Phentermine can be a good tool to help curb appetite while you train your body to eat more frequently with much smaller portions.