Starting 10k novice training... care to run with me?

Options

Replies

• JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    So I just checked out your first link Jan.... what does it mean by "30 min cross" on Wed and the "40 min cross" on Sat? Just not sure what "cross" is referring to. Maybe I'll check out the jeff galloway plan too...

Cross just means another type of exercise - could be running, eliptical, swimming, walking, whatever.
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Ladies? Where'd you all go??

With my travels I got a little off track this week Tuesday - Thursday. I've been bad about not logging my food (I think I didn't want to know!) Between Birthday cake and Texas Bar-b-que... Yum. But alas, it set me back a couple of lbs.

Since I still have time before my 10k, I'm going to get back on plan, but repeat a week. So I'll be starting on week 5 again on Monday. The good thing is I'm confident I'll be able to finish the race. I don't want to get over-confident though and not train enough!

The heat is really something! I went out for a walk last night and walked 2.16 miles - slowly took about 56 minutes. I went out for a run to the post office a little bit ago - I ran all the way there, but decided it was smarter to walk back due to the heat. As slowly as I run, I walk much slower :-) So my travel was 2.61, but my actual run was half of that. I did that in 56 minutes. A lot slower than last Sunday's 4 mile run in the cool of the evening!
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    I just added up my year to date running mileage - 102 miles!!!
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Sorry gang..I'm still here! Just been out of whack from the running plan but I'm here.

I had another 5 mile run yesterday with NO walking and this time my finish time was 1:08.

I'm going to hit the treadmill in about an hour and run at an incline for a least 3 miles, even though I did 5 yesterday I need to start getting my runs in whenever I can because during the week things keep on spurting up on me and preventing me from my runs. So hitting the gym for a 3miler even thought its a back to back run.

I know I'm off the training plan but I am still going forward at preparing my body for my scheduled 10k that's next month so I'll keep on posting my progress!
  • Jessica68
    Options
    4 miles down but I ended up doing a walk/run interval at every 1/2 mile.
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Jessica, You're doing great! Your 10k is at the beginning of September - and you're able to run 5 miles! You're right on track to have an awesome race!

I'm starting my week 5 do-over tomorrow.

Jan
  • Jessica68
    Options
    True Jan..I didnt look at things that way. You are right! At least I can go 5 miles non stop so I should do well on my 10k. Of course..I just wish I was faster but oh well all of that will come in due time and if I could just lose weight then it would make things easier. Oh well...baby steps.
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Jessica - Baby steps indeed! I'm proud of you for sticking with it and doing so well!

Today's exercise didn't go so well - I started working out and just ran out of energy after about 5 minutes - so I played Wii sports instead (one of the disadvantages of not going to the gym... it's easier to quit sooner!)

Tomorrow is another day - and a 3 mile run. And I WILL run.

The funny thing is I spent all day Sunday buying really healthy veggies and juicing them so I could add nutrient packed veggie juice to my diet. Everything I ate today was healthy (and no - I didn't log it - I'll do that tomorrow too!) and I even made all natural/as organic as possible protein bars. Then I have no energy when I go to exercise! *sigh*
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Food logged - 3 mile run completed in 47 minutes including warm up and cool down.
  • Jessica68
    Options
    Thats awesome Jan! the veggie juices and protein bars..how cool is that!

I just cant seem to get any workouts/runs in during the week - just seems like something always comes up and ruins it for me. I need to try going very early in the morning like at 5:30am but each time I wake get up early enough..I end up falling back to sleep!.:yawn: And I'm beginning to sound like a broken record and getting fed up with myself... I just need to get my "training" Cap back on! Saturday & Sunday are always a for sure run day for me..so I have those..but now that the mileage is increasing I need to get out there and practice.
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Thats awesome Jan! the veggie juices and protein bars..how cool is that!

I just cant seem to get any workouts/runs in during the week - just seems like something always comes up and ruins it for me. I need to try going very early in the morning like at 5:30am but each time I wake get up early enough..I end up falling back to sleep!.:yawn: And I'm beginning to sound like a broken record and getting fed up with myself... I just need to get my "training" Cap back on! Saturday & Sunday are always a for sure run day for me..so I have those..but now that the mileage is increasing I need to get out there and practice.

I'm not good at getting up and running in the morning either. I do best right after work, and yes, it's hard to do that. I guess that's why the long runs are on the weekends! I had wanted to keep up my evening walks, but that hasn't worked out so well. The past couple of days I have made it out for a first thing in the morning 12 minute walk. I'm going to try to keep that up.

Today was 40 minutes cross - I did the 30 day shred, I supplemented the time with Wii fit and added on some Wii Sports tennis for fun.
  • Jessica68
    Options
    I got in a 5 mile run yesterday and today, when my granddaughter takes her nap, I'll hi the gym. I havent done great during the week - I've even put on a couple pounds over the last 3 weeks so I really need to get back to my week long training, plus i feel so much better about myself when I do, so going to try again this week to hit the gym AT LEAST 3 times during the week. Now that I've got my grandson registered in school and I'm done with his school shopping..this week "should" look better for me, but we'll see what life brings me this week, hopefully a week filled with great workouts & runs!

Bring on a new week!
  • Jessica68
    Options
    I started this week off WAY better and I'm getting my runs in and even did some cross training one day. I'm also back on track with my eating and feeling really proud once again! :bigsmile:

We got a couple weeks til our 10k runs ladies...I think two of you also had a 10k coming up as I do...so lets not give up, we can do this!!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Jessica68
    Options
    I know I haven't kept uo with Hal's schedule but I have been running and dong pretty good. At least getting in 3 runs during the week. And extended them.

I hope everyone is still planning on running in their 10k's even if you have to do a walk run! Hey, some folks can actually go further by doing intervals..I know I'll probably be clanking out around mile 5 and will need to walk run the rest. Dont give up ladies!!
  • Jessica68
    Options
    Tonight I ran 6 miles all the way but boy was I extremely slow. I guess speed is going to come alot later. But I did my 6 miles before my 10k race this weekend.
  • Jessica68
    Options
    Completed my 10k yesterday! I was at mile marker 5 in 62mins and completed the entire race in 81mins & 37secs!
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Completed my 10k yesterday! I was at mile marker 5 in 62mins and completed the entire race in 81mins & 37secs!

Jessica - that is awesome!!!! Good for you! That's really good!

I've had some motivational struggles, but last week did a little better - I'm getting back into my morning walk routine - not far, but everything helps!

Thursday I went out just to get back out there. I said - I'm going to walk and see how it goes. Well, when I got through my warm up walk I started jogging and didn't stop 'till I'd repeated the 4 mile run I'd done the last time. A little slower, but went the whole distance. The weekend was crazy and I haven't been able to get out again, but I will today.

My 10k is on the 25th of this month. I can still get up to 6.2 by then. I just have to get paup to 4.5 miles this week!
  • Jessica68
    Options
    And I did end up taking some walk breaks during my 10k - the adrenaline rush sort of made me go faster than what I have trained for so I tired easily and walked briefly throughout - but I would also throw in a few sprints when I could...very very short ones, but I think overall it all evened out and helped me with my time.
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    I got past my mental block last night - I'd been wanting to "step up" to a new running location that would be more interesting - but was intimidated at the same time. For the past 3 weekends I've been saying - I'm going to go run at Stone Mountain, but managed not to do it. So last night, even though it was later than I wanted to go after work, I just said, I'm just going to go out there, even if all I do is drive there and back. So, I got there, and said, I'll go 30 minutes than turn around. I started off around the mountain, and was doing well enough that I decided just to keep going around the mountain - so I did the 5 mile loop in 1:15! I didn't walk at all until 50 minutes into the run, had a short walk, then another 10 minute run, then finished off walking the last 10 mintues. Hopefully, that will take care of that mental block I've had! Now I just have 1.2 more miles to add to the route and I'm at 10k!

A friend sent me a 5k race link this week for Saturday - I might do that to practice and try to go a little faster for that "shorter" distance!
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Add 3.5 for today!