What is the daftest weight related thing someone has ever said to you?

Options

Replies

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Fat turns into muscle.
    Wow. Just.. Wow.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Burn Fat Fast. NO Diet & NO exercise. Get Your Free Bottle Today Click!

This was in my email today offering me green tea pills. The same kind Dr. Oz told everyone to take to lose that belly fat!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Fat turns into muscle.
    Wow. Just.. Wow.
    I know, right? It was in a post arguing that women can gain muscle during a paper route....
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Afura wrote: »
    I found this gem the other day for "Because people will believe anything"
    vxbtehujz7if.jpg

This quote isn't really a lie. Tobacco is an appetite suppressent. My mom's weight didn't get completely out of hand until she replaced chain smoking with chain eating. I realize that's anecdotal, but it was definitely a major factor for her.

Yes. Some say it's just a mouth habit, but from experience it has a lot to do with appetite too. I was at least 500 calories hungrier (true hunger) when I quit, not just oral fixation.

As I quit smoking (I wasn't tracking at the time) I definitely know it's true of both eating and oral fixation. I was just amused by the whole of it in general, as obviously we know now that smoking isn't a healthy option either. Also, it's toasted! well now you make me want toast dammit.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    EmmaCaz4 wrote: »
    A girl at work is constantly saying she can lose weight just by cutting out fats. She's done this for 2yrs and not lost anything. She says it doesn't matter about calories.

My mom watches calories (but I'm pretty sure not portion sizes) and calories on packages. Her main focus these days seems to be fat. No matter how much I try and tell her it's the calories and she shouldn't worry unless her dr told her to avoid some form of fat(s). She also claims using a food scale is too confusing. Oh momma, I love you.
  • cqbkaju
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Fat turns into muscle.
    Wow. Just.. Wow.
    I know, right? It was in a post arguing that women can gain muscle during a paper route....

Oh, I was in that thread I think!
    Humans...
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Fat turns into muscle.
    Wow. Just.. Wow.

Oh, I was in that thread I think!
    Humans...

And it was me she was refuting. I read it first thing this morning and just couldn't deal.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It's evolution's whole job to ensure that people of a certain level of life competence don't make it very far. Sadly, with product liability law what it is these days, most of them last long enough to breed.

Very true... Darwin's Law isn't what it used to be. :)

The last words of many a person about to remove themselves from the gene pool - "Hey guys, watch this!" ;)

Re: the diet soda thing - I worked in McDonald's for a while once, and the number of overweight people (nearly always women) who'd order a huge meal and a diet Coke was astonishing. Somehow they thought it was okay to have an extra burger because of the Coke.

(I know some people just prefer the taste, and I now know that sometimes you can fit a meal like that into your daily allowance anyway, but overhearing many of them talk it was obvious they thought the Coke was somehow cancelling out the extra calories like someone else said.)
  • cqbkaju
    edited February 2017
    Options

This was in my email today offering me green tea pills. The same kind Dr. Oz told everyone to take to lose that belly fat!

"He is a proponent of alternative medicine and has been criticized by physicians, government officials and publications, including Popular Science and The New Yorker, for giving non-scientific advice. In a Senate hearing on weight loss scams, Senator Claire McCaskill chided Oz, saying: "The scientific community is almost monolithic against you in terms of the efficacy of the three products you call miracles". An investigation by the British Medical Journal found that 46% of his claims were misleading or incorrect." -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehmet_Oz

Yet another "celebrity" taken as an "authority".

Let's see:
    Has the body you secretly dream of having ... nope, Ding!
    Without trying to sell you something ... nope, Ding!
    In better shape than the people with different advice for free ... nope, Ding!

He hit the trifecta!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I want to ask all the acv thread starters where they are getting their info from. Just curious

I tried, but the thread got pulled before I could get a reply. I was being nice and everything.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    @Tacklewasher you're in luck. There's a new one
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

"He is a proponent of alternative medicine and has been criticized by physicians, government officials and publications, including Popular Science and The New Yorker, for giving non-scientific advice. In a Senate hearing on weight loss scams, Senator Claire McCaskill chided Oz, saying: "The scientific community is almost monolithic against you in terms of the efficacy of the three products you call miracles". An investigation by the British Medical Journal found that 46% of his claims were misleading or incorrect." -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehmet_Oz

Yet another "celebrity" taken as an "authority".

Let's see:
    Has the body you secretly dream of having ... nope, Ding!
    Without trying to sell you something ... nope, Ding!
    In better shape than the people with different advice for free ... nope, Ding!

He hit the trifecta!

That's not how I would evaluate a quack, though. Many people who are in excellent shape and give "free" advice without monetizing anything else (youtube ad revenue doesn't count, right?) can be all kinds of bonkers, and many people with a wealth of knowledge to share use that knowledge to make a living and don't look like Mr. Olympia. A quack is easy to spot, though, simply by looking at what they're preaching or pushing and a touch of common sense.