What is the daftest weight related thing someone has ever said to you?

Options

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    This thread enrages me because it's about 70% stupid myths, and about 20% people who think true things are stupid myths, and 10% people who pedantically refuse to understand the actual intention behind the phrase "muscle weighs more than fat".

I haven't seen any incorrect claims go unchallenged...
    Which true things are being called myths?

We've pretty much just seen CICO being called a myth...
  • Toria718
    Toria718 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    tar2323 wrote: »

Daft diet-related advice - negative calories. Eat ALL the celery and other 'negative calorie' foods as they burn more calories to eat than they're worth.

I just saw a YouTube video about "weight loss hacks" that was spouting this nonsense and the sad part is that this youtuber's channel is directed towards young ladies ( my videos were on auto play to the next suggested video while I was on the treadmill) once I heard this is skipped to the next video
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    I found this gem the other day for "Because people will believe anything"
    vxbtehujz7if.jpg

This quote isn't really a lie. Tobacco is an appetite suppressent. My mom's weight didn't get completely out of hand until she replaced chain smoking with chain eating. I realize that's anecdotal, but it was definitely a major factor for her.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    vxbtehujz7if.jpg

This quote isn't really a lie. Tobacco is an appetite suppressent. My mom's weight didn't get completely out of hand until she replaced chain smoking with chain eating. I realize that's anecdotal, but it was definitely a major factor for her.

Yes. Some say it's just a mouth habit, but from experience it has a lot to do with appetite too. I was at least 500 calories hungrier (true hunger) when I quit, not just oral fixation.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    vxbtehujz7if.jpg

Same for my mother as for gaining when she quit smoking - but she feels it is because she replaced the cigarette in her hands with food - As she said same movement :smile: It was never because she felt she needed/wanted food

• EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    A girl at work is constantly saying she can lose weight just by cutting out fats. She's done this for 2yrs and not lost anything. She says it doesn't matter about calories.
  • airforceman1979
    airforceman1979 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My son's pediatrician just told him Food Matters more than exercise exercise has nothing to do with weight loss
  • ValkyrieFury79
    ValkyrieFury79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    "You lose weight in the kitchen, not by exercising."

^^^^ this is somewhat true - I lost 45 lbs simply by changing my diet habits and never once set foot in a gym.