What is the daftest weight related thing someone has ever said to you?

Options

Replies

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    I think that it's not sugar that is "addictive" but overeating. If it were really sugar pizza wouldn't do the trick. Even the group is called overeaters anonymous. Those who have this issue are still using a substance/behaviour to fill a whole/need or to forget something. They are compelled to do something that is harmful to them and can't stop.

I don't think it should be considered insulting to people who are addicted to drugs or alcohol...look at the people on My 600 pound Life who are handed a death sentence but still continue...maybe technically it's more like a gambling or sex addiction but if it's ruining your lifeand you can't stop, is the argument really worth having?

To your first point, habitual behavior is different than physical addiction/chemical dependency.

Your second point is a good one, although I still believe it's insulting because the people in my life (either IRL or on social media) who claim they're addicted to sugar are nowhere near the "My 600 Pound Life" stage. In rarified cases that you see on that show sure, their lives are ruined. But for everyone else, playing the "addict" card is just an excuse and that's what I find insulting.

And while I've never been a drug addict, I've witnessed it first hand which obviously colors my view on the subject. I'll happily concede that point. :)

But...and I'm not saying this is a fact but rather just the way I look at it. Are not all addicts addicted in varying degrees?

The fact that I only smoked 10 cigarettes a day and not 3 packs didn't mean I wasn't addicted to them. I was able to quit quickly and relatively easily because of a change in mindset...that doesn't mean that at one point I wouldn't have swam across an ocean for just one cigarette.

I see the 600 pound people as the people who smoked 3 packs a day. People who are "only" 100 pounds overweight, staring at joint replacements and diabetes and still unable to compel themselves to stop (I think) have something akin to my 10 cigarette a day problem.

Just my humble opinion.
  • ogtmama
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I don't know. I just think if you are compelled to do something you hate and wish you could stop but can't, then it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.

Anyhoo...the daftest thing anyone ever saidd to me was that I was gaining weight despite working out because I was putting on muscle (during my very easy weekly sessions with a personal trainer) I swear to god she didn't even ask me what I was eating.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I don't know. I just think if you are compelled to do something you hate and wish you could stop but can't, then it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.

Anyhoo...the daftest thing anyone ever saidd to me was that I was gaining weight despite working out because I was putting on muscle (during my very easy weekly sessions with a personal trainer) I swear to god ahe didn't even ask me what I was eating.

There's a difference between addictions that are behavior based and addictions that are substance based (like gambling or sex).

It doesn't mean that it's not an addiction in the case of the 600 Pound Life people, it's just that it's not a substance addiction.

• ogtmama
    edited February 2017
    Options

Anyhoo...the daftest thing anyone ever saidd to me was that I was gaining weight despite working out because I was putting on muscle (during my very easy weekly sessions with a personal trainer) I swear to god ahe didn't even ask me what I was eating.

There's a difference between addictions that are behavior based and addictions that are substance based (like gambling or sex).

It doesn't mean that it's not an addiction in the case of the 600 Pound Life People, it's just that it's not a substance addiction.

I said it was a behavioural addiction. :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

It doesn't mean that it's not an addiction in the case of the 600 Pound Life People, it's just that it's not a substance addiction.

I said it was a behavioural addiction.

Then I'm not sure why you said "I don't know" after I posted about it being a behavioral addiction.

I guess our wires just got crossed.
  • ogtmama
    Options

I said it was a behavioural addiction.

Then I'm not sure why you said "I don't know" after I posted about it being a behavioral addiction.

I guess our wires just got crossed.

I didn't see yours. Sorry for the confusion.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,760 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Anyhoo...the daftest thing anyone ever saidd to me was that I was gaining weight despite working out because I was putting on muscle (during my very easy weekly sessions with a personal trainer) I swear to god she didn't even ask me what I was eating.

That piggybacks onto what a former trainer of mine said - she couldn't understand why I hadn't gained any muscle after 8 weeks of weight lifting. I had lost 8 pounds and according to the hand-held BIA device she insisted on using (learn to use calipers, you bugger!) 7 pounds were fat and 1 was water? muscle? I don't know.
    I was in Weight Watchers and lowering my calorie intake so I wasn't eating enough to build muscle. And she already knew I was on WW.