What is the daftest weight related thing someone has ever said to you?

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Daftest thing - Once I lost a bunch of weight and was down to a size 00 - my mother told me "Yeah, but your *kitten* is saggy"...that was awesome.

Gotta love mothers like that. My mother is dead and never saw my weight loss, but she would have said something similar.

I'll be seeing her sister (who I have no contact with) at my niece's wedding this summer. I am fully expecting some similar remark to come flying out of her mouth.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    kavahni wrote: »
    As a skinny, athletic middle schooler in the 70's, I was told that girls can't pole vault because we are butt heavy. Right after I'd successfully made my first attempt. That coach is dead now.

Your inclusion of that last detail makes it seem like it must be relevant to the story.
    I'm officially creeped out.

We'd better make sure we don't get on @kavahni 's bad side!

I'm only afraid if I meet her at a track & field event.
  • DarkSinestra
    DarkSinestra Posts: 45 Member
    Options

You don't want to lose weight, you'll loss your boobs.

That one is true, at least for me.

I wish it was true for me. At my thinnest I was a size 2. Finding a 34 E is freaking impossible without turning to very expensive internet shopping. :#

Craziest diet/weight loss advice I've heard:
    • All women at a healthy weight naturally have a thigh gap. If you don't, you're fat and need to diet until you do.
    • You should exercise in heavy sweat pants and a sweat shirt even when it's hot. You'll lose more weight.
    • If you hit a plateau, that's your body's way of telling you you're at a healthy weight.
    • Vegetable calories don't count. Eat as much veg as you want.
    • If you're a woman past menopause and diet, you'll just lose all your muscle. Post-menopausal women can't lose fat.
    • Co-worker trying to lose weight: Frequently ordered double quarter pounders, large fries, diet cokes. "As long as I drink diet sodas, I can eat what I want and still lose weight." She was not losing weight and swore up and down that CICO is a myth, that all you really had to do was eat less than you had been eating initially and that your body would shed pounds to adjust to the food deficit.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    It's so much harder to lose weight after 30/40/50 whatever years old.

Your body gets used to exercise, that's why you're not losing weight (when OP hasn't lost weight for a week or two and/or has sloppy logging) you need to switch it up and switch your macros.

Macros split determines how much weight you lose, a better macro split will mean more weight loss at the same calorie intake.

Set points.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I was actually told once that I should eat margarine instead of butter because margarine is an "artificial fat" that my body won't recognize so it will just past through me and not be absorbed. Seriously.

I made my WTF? face and the subject was never mentioned again.

Remember olestra?
  • DarkSinestra
    DarkSinestra Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    MFP posts seeking advice on the struggles of trying to eat 1200 or 1000 calories. "I feel so full I'm stuffed how can i get my daily calories in?" Just who do they think they're talking to?

Those are hilarious. If they were stuffed after eating 1200 calories a day they wouldn't be overweight and wouldn't have ever heard of this site. :)

You know, I think the people who experience this have never, or haven't in a very long time, eaten 1200 calories of nutrient dense, high fiber foods. I can say that for me personally there is a tremendous difference between eating a slice of pizza versus a bowl of lentil stew chock full of vegetables. The pizza makes me hungrier for more pizza and sweets. The lentil stew leaves me very full and satisfied. A lot of fast foods and junk food are designed specifically not to be very filling and to awaken cravings, so you'll buy/eat more of them.

Another thing is when you eat. I used to be a one meal a day-er, but that one meal was a huge calorie bomb. Trying to eat more regularly leaves me feeling much fuller at different times of the day than I was used to and feels like more food. Technically, it is more food. It's just a lot less calorie dense.

Anyway, point is I sort of understand where they're coming from, but I don't think any of these conclusions are difficult to reach on their own if they think about it.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Daftest thing - Once I lost a bunch of weight and was down to a size 00 - my mother told me "Yeah, but your *kitten* is saggy"...that was awesome.

My mom is okay. It's my dad. He wouldn't say exactly this, but he thinks that losing weight is easy.
  • ResistingTemptation5
    Options
    A friend once said "Going vegan will cure your eating disorder"

My binge eating disorder began while I was vegan
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    A friend once said "Going vegan will cure your eating disorder"

My binge eating disorder began while I was vegan

There are a lot of anorexics who go vegan or vegetarian to further restrict their intake
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    *sigh*
    New trainer at the gym I go to (hes subbing for the one that usually comes in while he's curing a broken foot... going to have to change my work out hours if he keeps spewing such daft stuff):
    "If you eat carbs at night your metabolism will stop and you'll store those carbs as fat."

How about you stick to training people and leave the nutrition advice to people who know something about it...

I've heard this one a million different ways. "Your body doesn't need carbs/ calories at night because your metabolism is slowing down so any carbs/calories you eat after lunch/ dinner/ x o'clock will get stored as fat".
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I once heard that you shouldn’t drink beer because that's the only thing that causes a beer belly. If someone had a round tummy they were a secret alcoholic.

Also if you drank alcohol (other than beer) till you were drunk your body wouldn't know what it was doing and wouldn't store the calories of what you ate.....

Even when we were 16 we knew this girl was a moron
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    kavahni wrote: »
    As a skinny, athletic middle schooler in the 70's, I was told that girls can't pole vault because we are butt heavy. Right after I'd successfully made my first attempt. That coach is dead now.

I don't know why this is creeping people out. It's evolution's whole job to ensure that people of a certain level of life competence don't make it very far. Sadly, with product liability law what it is these days, most of them last long enough to breed.

Obligatory on-topic: If you drink ice water, you'll burn a meaningful number of extra calories.

That was actually a question in my physics A-level paper, working out temperature changes of ice water when drunk to KJ of energy. And how you'd have to drink to lose a lb.... I seem to remember it was A LOT