What is the daftest weight related thing someone has ever said to you?

Options

Replies

• CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    "You lose weight in the kitchen, not by exercising."

Weight-loss does start in the kitchen. It's just science. It's 80% diet, 20% exercise. So while they were on the right track, they just worded it incorrectly.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    This thread enrages me because it's about 70% stupid myths, and about 20% people who think true things are stupid myths, and 10% people who pedantically refuse to understand the actual intention behind the phrase "muscle weighs more than fat".

I haven't seen any incorrect claims go unchallenged...
    Which true things are being called myths?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    srk369 wrote: »
    BluBell56 wrote: »
    If you eat standing up, the calories fall out of your a##

If only this were true. I just got a stand up desk at work. Standing ALL THE TIME and I still gotta *kitten*

Off topic, but how are you liking the stand up desk? I work from home and know that I sit way too much. I'm looking at this https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01K6P748E/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=DU440NCHDVX7&coliid=I2ZB7QUQ1OPO0Z since I could use while I'm using my bike and just in general.

@srk369 http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10437598/introducing-standing-at-desk-working#latest
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

(Some stuff snipped by reply-er)

I haven't personally looked into the evidence on artifical sweeteners so I don't have a stance on it, but I would say that googling an issue and finding that people are saying bad stuff is completely irrelevant. You need to look at peer reviewed studies and make an effort to assess the quality of the study and also check whether what it claims to prove (or others claim it proves) is actually possible to prove with that study.

As an example, the decision that studies on lung cancer and cigarettes prove causation took a lot of time, analysis and careful study design. It was not based on a bit of correlation and a hunch.

Noooo! They're just boooorrring - all fulla big words and long sentences and no cool pictures or exclamation points. The only pictures are those chart thingies, and no kittens or bananas. I'm not gonna learn statistics, it's boring, too, and just makes you lie to people. It's almost like math, or something. And who wants to listen to a bunch of out-of-touch eggheads, anyway. They don't live in the real world. I just trust my gut, and the popular blogs. They wouldn't be popular if they weren't right, 'cos the people know what's right. Besides, I can understand what the blog people are saying, so they aren't trying to hide stuff from me.

(Where is the sarcasm font when I need it, anyway? And yes, this reply is on topic. Those are some of the daft things I've heard some people say about weight loss. Sure, I had to read between the lines a little, and be kinda mean. Li'l ol' ladies get to be mean. Old age gotta buy us something. ;)

And no, I'm explicitly not (not! NOT!) saying any of the specific people earlier in this sub-thread think that way, which is why I snipped those quotes. I'm just riffing on the good info in the last post. ).

If peer-reviewed studies could be, for lack of a better term, "dumbed-down" for people like me who don't understand what some of the sciencey terms mean, I'd be grateful. Or use memes like Chemistry Cat.
  • Dianetheinvincible
    Options
    One myth that has not only gone unchallenged on this thread but been seconded by a number of people is that sugar is not addictive. Many studies have shown that affects the brain very similarly to cocaine; it stimulates the same pleasure center and long-term abuse of sugar depletes dopamine in the brain--the very same reason cocaine is addictive. A study last year demonstrated that a nicotine-addiction drug was successful in treating sugar addiction. Etc.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm not gonna learn statistics, it's boring, too, and just makes you lie to people. It's almost like math, or something.

62.8% of statistics are made up on the spot, you know. Within a 0.02% tolerance, of course.

:D
    This thread enrages me because it's about 70% stupid myths, and about 20% people who think true things are stupid myths, and 10% people who pedantically refuse to understand the actual intention behind the phrase "muscle weighs more than fat".

I read a very long-winded comment on a blog somewhere (maybe even MFP's own blog) about this, where the comparison was demonstrated by the difference in volume between an equal weight of feathers and gold. The commenter was going about how gold is weighed in Troy ounces so the comparison wasn't valid.

But I have to admit that the above phrase does irritate me (yes, I'm a pedant, so what? ;) ), because it's not the weight that should be compared. At least the gold/feathers thing was talking about the volume/appearance of the same weight of each. :)
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I think that it's not sugar that is "addictive" but overeating. If it were really sugar pizza wouldn't do the trick. Even the group is called overeaters anonymous. Those who have this issue are still using a substance/behaviour to fill a whole/need or to forget something. They are compelled to do something that is harmful to them and can't stop.

I don't think it should be considered insulting to people who are addicted to drugs or alcohol...look at the people on My 600 pound Life who are handed a death sentence but still continue...maybe technically it's more like a gambling or sex addiction but if it's ruining your lifeand you can't stop, is the argument really worth having?