What is the daftest weight related thing someone has ever said to you?

Options

Replies

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Them: You've lost so much weight! You must be in the gym every day.
    Me: I've not set foot in a gym, I just walk a lot.
    Them: I wish I could do that.
    Me: You can, just go for a walk whenever and wherever you happen to be.
    Them: I can't do that, I always have to look after my grand-daughter.
    Me: What? Your grand-daughter doesn't have legs?
    Them: She doesn't like to walk.
    Me: Don't you have a buggy for her?
    Them: She won't sit in it for long, she gets bored.
    Me: ... (gives up)

"She doesn't like to walk".

Kids don't like a lot of things until you make them do it, and then they enjoy themselves. Getting a kid to like walking means taking them walking and ignoring the whining. They learn to love it and it is one of the greatest gifts you can give them, imo.

I will never understand the idea that we express our love to our kids by encouraging them to be unhealthy, whether it's "kid food" or sitting on their backsides all day. Everyone likes a duvet day or chicken nuggets once in a while, but making that the routine is not an expression of love. Get the kids out in the rain. They'll thank you for it one day.

And if all else fails, take a ball and play fetch. If I've learned anything from my parent friends its that kids and dogs have a lot in common... but parents don't like to be reminded of that.

I get a LOT of walking in just following my two year old around...I don't buy it either.
  • Monchichi3
    Monchichi3 Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have to wait until I lose weight before I start lifting because I don't want all my fat to turn into muscle.

I don't want to build muscle I just want to tone. :/

If I had $1 for each time I heard the following or something similar:

Them: I gained weight or cannot lose weight because I have an underactive thyroid.
    Other person: How is your adjustment been since starting your medication or other medical related question.
    Them: Oh, I haven't been to the doctor.
    Other person: How do you know you have a thyroid condition?
    Them: Because I cannot lose weight or I read it on the internet.
    Me: I think you should see a doctor for a diagnosis and treatment.

Some of the daft examples posted are concepts that aren't fully expressed or articulated well but may have a sprinkle of truth.

An example:

Person 1 -You cannot lose weight without cutting carbs.
    Person 2 - You don't have to cut carbs to lose weight!

When you're in a calorie deficit, most likely you're reducing calories from fat, protein and yes even carbs.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Mine was on here....I said that while a twinkie and an apple may have roughly the same number of calories and carbs, the fiber in the apple made it a better choice for ME who strives to eat a lower glycemic load diet (it makes it easier to not over eat). I also mentioned micronutrients etc... Someone said, in all seriousness: have the twinkie and a spoon of metamucil. Done.

:)