Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    demorelli wrote: »
    demorelli wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    No.
    If there were so many toxins in your body that your liver and kidneys need a "break" in order to filter them all out, you'd need a hospital, not a cleanse.

Please explain why cancer, food allergies, and many other diseases are almost nonexistent among the Amish.

So why not go be Amish instead of a bogus "cleanse?"

Because most people would rather have cars and cell phones than avoid cancer.

What the heck? :huh:

My thoughts exactly. :/
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Oh my goodness, this sounds miserable! I have a pretty high pain tolerance, too, but migraines are rough to contend with. It affects workouts obviously, but for me it also affects my diet. When I feel like crap, my resolve goes out the window as I eat whatever doesn't make my stomach turn. That usually ends up being very salty things and ice cream in large amounts.
    I'll echo some of the others here..I think your trainer piled too much on between the caffeine and the low carbs. It's a testament to your resolve that you stood it for this long..I don't think I could have. I'd have fired that trainer and drowned my sorrows in a tub of coffee..haha.
    I started here on MFP at 241 lbs three years ago. Since that time, I lost 85 lbs and have kept most of it off. It can definitely be done without all of this misery, I promise!
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Options
    if you can get through it great... but i went on a similar diet and could not stand the migraines it made me stop.
  • sumrdream
    sumrdream Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I eat paleo and there's no way I would give up my coffee! You are likely experiencing the no caffeine and low carb effects...you can get flu like symptoms until your body adjusts. Up your fat intake and drink your coffee with half and half or full cream and no sugar. Lose the diet soda, that stuff is awful for you! I lost 45 pounds eating paleo/primal and I'm shooting for 50 more...whole real food, low carb, higher fat and protein, no grains, no sugar, little processed foods as you can manage. You will start to feel better....your body is just feeling the effects of getting rid of all that sugar and crap out of your diet. Good luck!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hi all. My PT has upped my fitness routine to include a detox cleanse, where I am eating natural, lean foods, no sugar, no caffeine, no alcohol, no processed anything. Basically the diet is fruit, veggies, protein with a carb in the evening at supper (sweet potato, wholegrain rice only). Minus veg I am averaging around 1100-1200 calories a day. This diet is quite similar to the Paleo diet.

Anyhow, where I need help... First 5 days were bad, no energy, etc but I have gotten used to the foods and am not as hungry anymore. However, I am on day 10 with a headache, and it is only getting worse. Two days ago it crossed into migraine territory. Drinking more water is not helping. I was sick to my stomach this morning because of the pain and even with having a high pain tolerance, I am not sure how much more of this I can take.

My trainer says after our 10 day cleanse, we will add in some things but no caffeine. I imagine this is what is causing the migraine, but my question is - is it worth it and have any of you experienced this before? I had 2 coffees a day with skim milk and no sugar - for reference. Between last week's no energy falling asleep at my desk fog and this week's migraine from hell, it is effecting my performance at work, which is really not good. And I should also add I haven't gone to the gym as usual either because of the effects of all of this. Especially the migraine.

Any insight, help, tips, etc would be appreciated.

I have not read all of the replies, but I do have some tips:

1. Drop the trainer because she has no idea what she's talking about. There is absolutely no reason to do a detox because:
    a. Detoxes don't work, they are a fad only
    b. Your body naturally gets rid of toxins all by itself. If this is not happening, you need to go to the doctor.
    2. All you need to be healthy is to eat a diet predominantly of whole foods that meet your macros split. Don't forget your treats as well, as long as they fit into healthy calorie goals.
    3. There is nothing wrong with caffeine, or processed foods or anything else on the forbidden list. Don't get rid of anything you don't like
    4. You are not eating enough food. The minimum to lose approx. 2 lbs a week is 1200. You are not eating enough food. Raise those calorie goals.
    5. A 10 day headache getting worse to migraine stage is a HUGE red flag. It could be due to not eating enough, but it could also be from something else. Go to the doctor.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    MFP Goals are for loss of 2 pounds a week:
    Calories: 1,930
    Carbs: 50%
    Proteins: 20%
    Fats: 30%

That sounds good. Still, if you're having headaches and migraines, I'd go to the MD.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    @Packerjohn thank you very much, I will read through the article and the explanation or summary you gave makes a lot more sense than anything anyone else tried to tell me. It seemed like everyone was just seeing who could say I was wrong the loudest but never actually giving any reason why except pretty much saying "because science" without actually showing any science. Would you mind if I send you a friend request?
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I see you've already had lots of replies, but as a migraine sufferer I just wanted to comment and say I am so, so sorry you are experiencing this pain. My longest migraine was 10 days and I just want to cry thinking about it. Because headaches and migraines can be triggered by things in your sensory environment, people are quick to blame the victim. You obviously didn't ask for this! I hope you feel better soon and I agree with the person who said go to the doctor, asap. Ps: if you are taking a lot of medication to help manage the pain, Google "rebound headache". You might have to go cold turkey off the pain medications for this headache.

As for the diet, I think you get the picture. The main point about that I wanted to make is that diets that ask you to cut a bunch of stuff are not *sustainable*. You want to lose 150 lbs. When you're done, you don't want to gain it all back by saying, "finally, I can stop eating in this difficult way!" You should just perhaps try to cut your sugar and cream in half, or switch to Splenda, not cut out your coffee. I love pizza and eat it a lot, but I started eating 1 or 2 slices instead of 4.