Do you love your job?

Options

Replies

• angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I do love my job. I love the work we get to do and the people we get to help, and I enjoy the people I get to work in tandem with.

I'm not sure if I should say I fell into my job- it's more of a stepping stone to grad school and the career I ultimately want to have. But it's mostly by chance that I ended up in this wonderful place.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I despise my job. I work for a horrible company in an office with a couple people who are terrible, one of whom I can only describe as truly evil. But it is almost impossible to find a good job and at my age I can't afford to quit without a new one already lined up. But honestly there are times I think that some of the management is literally trying to kill the employees with their unsafe practices, and the only people who get any recognition are the ones who lie (to the point that multiple people have either quit or reported the people to HR) and the employees who actually want to do a good job are treated like trash.
  • johnnyblastick559
    Options
    I have the greatest job ever...easy going...self challenging...highly respected
  • mattg5566
    mattg5566 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm a CPA. For the most part I love my job but there are aspects I can do without.
  • Elliephantcrossing
    Elliephantcrossing Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I love what I do, but some days can be a challenge, especially if students are feeling sassy or argumentative. Some days I wish I did something else like being a traveling gypsy princess, but I like teaching.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I've been self employed most of life and had 3 main businesses over the years and loved and enjoyed all 3. Right now I'm in the sewer and drain cleaning business and have been for more than a decade and I love what I do. Weird eh? But here are some of the reasons why:

1. I get to be a hero every day. Most of my service calls are emergencies. Homeowners are faced with everything from catastrophic flooding to simply being unable to wash their dishes or do their laundy. Restaurants have water coming up from floor drains or unable to use the washrooms and in imminent danger of having to close due to local health regulations. The hospital morgue isn't draining or a patient's sink is backed up. Most people generally have no clue as to what is happening and why and when I show up they are often flustered and frantic. Generally in a half hour or less they are back in business. Most are extremely grateful and we have extreme customer loyalty. Almost all of our business is either repeat or referral. Our trucks are unlettered in fact.
    2. I get to work with a huge variety of customers, from poor to rich, ordinary to famous, inner city to country. From the local Chrysler plant, a farm, the hospitals, restaurants, private residences of all kinds and more. No two days are alike and every day brings unique challenges, both in the work itself, and in balancing the often simultaneous demands of customers and keeping everyone happy.
    3. I only work with people I want to work with. I don't do every service call that comes in. If someone rubs me the wrong way on the phone I pass them off to someone else. If it's a particularly undesirable neighbourhood late at night, I either try to push them off until morning or just pass. I've had a handful of residential and commercial customers over the years that I've had to drop because I simply can't work with them. I do have some contractual work where I have to deal with some sketchy tenants and have no choice but for the most part I leave the stress inducing customers for the other guys.
    4. I get to be brutally honest with people and I really enjoy not having to be fake with anyone. For example, once in a while you get people who tell you they want you to do certain things to solve their problem when you've already identified the issue and the best way to resolve it and the things they are asking you to do aren't necessary. So I just tell them the truth, that what they want me to do isn't necessary, that's I'm busy and it's a waste of my time and they have two choices. You can leave me alone and I'll fix the problem and you'll pay for the basic service call or I can do what you asked me to do, you can pay me for the service call, and when the problem isn't solved, I'll fix it and you can pay me again. So far, everyone has chosen option A :)
    5. No one wants to have to call me, but everyone is happy to see me. :)
  • FFeric
    FFeric Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I love my job. I was working in an office doing commercial real estate appraisal and hating life, ironically about the same time as "Office Space" came out. I remember being in a bar with a good friend telling him how much I hated my job, and he casually mentioned that his brother was a firefighter. He suggested I try it...it had everything I was missing - physical in nature, sense of belonging, helping people. I started taking classes and doing tests and 15 incredible years later here I am. I love never knowing what's going to happen next. The job never gets old. And after spending the last few days volunteering in elementary schools, I've realized that it's way easier then being a teacher!!!
  • ohsosweet26
    ohsosweet26 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I can't say I love my job but I don't despise it either. I'm a CNA and I took up that job because I wanted experience for when I start nursing school. The pay isn't bad where I work, but I believe that it's not enough for such a physically demanding work. It doesn't matter to me though because like I said, I work as a CNA to gain experience for nursing school.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I've been self employed most of life and had 3 main businesses over the years and loved and enjoyed all 3. Right now I'm in the sewer and drain cleaning business and have been for more than a decade and I love what I do. Weird eh? But here are some of the reasons why:

1. I get to be a hero every day. Most of my service calls are emergencies. Homeowners are faced with everything from catastrophic flooding to simply being unable to wash their dishes or do their laundy. Restaurants have water coming up from floor drains or unable to use the washrooms and in imminent danger of having to close due to local health regulations. The hospital morgue isn't draining or a patient's sink is backed up. Most people generally have no clue as to what is happening and why and when I show up they are often flustered and frantic. Generally in a half hour or less they are back in business. Most are extremely grateful and we have extreme customer loyalty. Almost all of our business is either repeat or referral. Our trucks are unlettered in fact.
    2. I get to work with a huge variety of customers, from poor to rich, ordinary to famous, inner city to country. From the local Chrysler plant, a farm, the hospitals, restaurants, private residences of all kinds and more. No two days are alike and every day brings unique challenges, both in the work itself, and in balancing the often simultaneous demands of customers and keeping everyone happy.
    3. I only work with people I want to work with. I don't do every service call that comes in. If someone rubs me the wrong way on the phone I pass them off to someone else. If it's a particularly undesirable neighbourhood late at night, I either try to push them off until morning or just pass. I've had a handful of residential and commercial customers over the years that I've had to drop because I simply can't work with them. I do have some contractual work where I have to deal with some sketchy tenants and have no choice but for the most part I leave the stress inducing customers for the other guys.
    4. I get to be brutally honest with people and I really enjoy not having to be fake with anyone. For example, once in a while you get people who tell you they want you to do certain things to solve their problem when you've already identified the issue and the best way to resolve it and the things they are asking you to do aren't necessary. So I just tell them the truth, that what they want me to do isn't necessary, that's I'm busy and it's a waste of my time and they have two choices. You can leave me alone and I'll fix the problem and you'll pay for the basic service call or I can do what you asked me to do, you can pay me for the service call, and when the problem isn't solved, I'll fix it and you can pay me again. So far, everyone has chosen option A :)
    5. No one wants to have to call me, but everyone is happy to see me. :)

That sounds wonderful! I am so glad that you are out there when we need you!
  • kali31337
    Options
    FFeric wrote: »
    I love my job. I was working in an office doing commercial real estate appraisal and hating life, ironically about the same time as "Office Space" came out. I remember being in a bar with a good friend telling him how much I hated my job, and he casually mentioned that his brother was a firefighter. He suggested I try it...it had everything I was missing - physical in nature, sense of belonging, helping people. I started taking classes and doing tests and 15 incredible years later here I am. I love never knowing what's going to happen next. The job never gets old. And after spending the last few days volunteering in elementary schools, I've realized that it's way easier then being a teacher!!!

Hahaha well thank you for trying to save us all!
  • Carbkiller1970
    Carbkiller1970 Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    Stay at home mom, wouldn't trade it for the world so yes!
  • Nitroalley2
    Nitroalley2 Posts: 3,419 Member
    Options
    mattg5566 wrote: »
    I'm a CPA. For the most part I love my job but there are aspects I can do without.

It does pay the rent. And as you progress the less you deal with the numbers directly and the more you influence business decisions.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I love what I do, but it wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable without my amazing co-workers. We are all family and I know they have my back. My boss treats me like his daughter and spoils me rotten.
  • dantew04
    dantew04 Posts: 73 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I love what I do and I fell into it. What I love is MY spin on it too - what I bring to my role and how I have made it my own. I didn't think I would last in it until I got to understand it. I get to be creative, help organise events, link in with different people, get young people into jobs, analyse data (sometimes I find that fun as my brain is so overactive at times, it's nice to have something to focus on), review how the team I work in deliver things and make sure we improve where possible and while there is a kind of routine, it's also quite varied. So best of both really which I always need.

I'm constantly looking for ways to be better or challenge myself. I know that it's not my forever job as it's not salaried at where I hope to be but it's up there on my faves. And what I really love is the fact that my team is great... a wacky bunch of characters each with their own unique spark. Obviously there are elements to it which I find boring, but that's normal. Ultimately though, I don't dread coming into work. Yeah I may not go into work every day singing like my life is a musical, but I've had jobs where I'm clock watching obsessively, almost in tears through the pain of boredom and contempt for what I do and practically feel like I've been given the gift of life from a cancelled execution every time I sneak off for a toilet break. Ugh, never again.
  • kali31337
    Options
    I can't say I love my job but I don't despise it either. I'm a CNA and I took up that job because I wanted experience for when I start nursing school. The pay isn't bad where I work, but I believe that it's not enough for such a physically demanding work. It doesn't matter to me though because like I said, I work as a CNA to gain experience for nursing school.

Both of my parents are in the nursing field and I have always thought that they are woefully underpaid.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    dantew04 wrote: »
    I love what I do and I fell into it. What I love is MY spin on it too - what I bring to my role and how I have made it my own. I didn't think I would last in it until I got to understand it. I get to be creative, help organise events, link in with different people, get young people into jobs, analyse data (sometimes I find that fun as my brain is so overactive at times, it's nice to have something to focus on), review how the team I work in deliver things and make sure we improve where possible and while there is a kind of routine, it's also quite varied. So best of both really which I always need.

I'm constantly looking for ways to be better or challenge myself. I know that it's not my forever job as it's not salaried at where I hope to be but it's up there on my faves. And what I really love is the fact that my team is great... a wacky bunch of characters each with their own unique spark. Obviously there are elements to it which I find boring, but that's normal. Ultimately though, I don't dread coming into work. Yeah I may not go into work every day singing like my life is a musical, but I've had jobs where I'm clock watching obsessively, almost in tears through the pain of boredom and contempt for what I do and practically feel like I've been given the gift of life from a cancelled execution every time I sneak off for a toilet break. Ugh, never again.

That strikes close to home.

I've only been with this gig for a few months and my creativity has been severely stifled.

... off to the next lilly pad
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    Life chose my career, I did not choose it. I work in the insurance industry/risk management for business/corporations and I HATE it. Stress is ridiculous, people hate insurance...until they need to use it....and it is a tough business right now. Boo to the friggedy Boo. But alas, until I decide to make a change....
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    No. There are rewarding aspects but managing people is a lot of stress if things are not going well.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    Love? No, I definitely do not love my job. I tolerate my job. I tolerate my job because I have bills to pay, but if I could afford to not show up or do anything besides what I do I would do it in a heartbeat.

I've currently worked in health care for 10 years, it is depressing, and I dislike the beurocracy and drama. Especially as the majority of my co-workers are female. I attended college for network administration and have my associates but my area affords little opportunity unless you further a nursing career, or want to work as a cashier. I am hopeful to one day have a job that I can go to that doesn't cause me anxiety attacks as I drive in daily. But...bills, and that's how I get through every shift, every moment.