Vegan/vegetarian facts that fail to address...

Options
2»

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and cook mostly vegan recipes (but I still eat products containing eggs, as well as snacking on string cheese; I just don't cook much with them myself). I've lost 30 lbs since Oct 30th and I have been eating pasta or rice noodles at least 4 times a week since then. Long story short, I am trying to work my way through the 1,000 Vegan Recipes cookbook sequentially, one recipe per week, and I was in the pasta section when I started MFP. Agreeing with everyone saying it's carbs, not calories.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    marblessed wrote: »
    Vegetables are carbs. Carbs don't make you fat, excess calories do.
    The carbs are like rice and flour that pair with vegetable to help us remain full for a longer period of time. Thank you
    No. Pasta etc. may be higher on the glycemic index, and often end up in dishes with a higher glycemic load... Vegetables typically have more water and fiber. Both are primarily carbs.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine was vegetarian and 100 pounds overweight. She worked hard, began exercising more, and lost the weight, still vegetarian. It's all in how much you eat, not what you eat.
  • jordan_bowden
    jordan_bowden Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If pasta is your source of carbs, and you eat them in excess then I seriously doubt you would lose weight. Try eating better sources of carbs such as bananas, dates, potatoes, butternut and other root vegetables. Rice isn't bad for you but vegetable carbs are far more nutritious and still provide you with wholesome carbs. Pasta and rice is basically only carbs.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    If pasta is your source of carbs, and you eat them in excess then I seriously doubt you would lose weight. Try eating better sources of carbs such as bananas, dates, potatoes, butternut and other root vegetables. Rice isn't bad for you but vegetable carbs are far more nutritious and still provide you with wholesome carbs. Pasta and rice is basically only carbs.

Yep, they are. And I've been eating them multiple times per week. And as of today? Down 33 lbs. Haven't had a single banana. Did make apple date crisps one week, in which each serving had something like 1.3 dates (8 dates spread out in 6 single serve ramekins). Have had a few potatoes, but nowhere near as often as the pasta/noodles. I think the only root vegetables I've had have been radishes, every 2-3 weeks or so. Oh, I've had plenty of other vegetables. And fruits. But nothing wrong with 'basically only carbs' if you measure them properly.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Pasta and rice is basically only carbs.
    Protein
    Fibre
    Manganese
    Selenium
    Iron
    Vit B1
    Folate

I really could go on.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I have been both thin and heavy on a vegan diet. It isn't plant foods that are at fault, it's the amount of food/calories or the types of food. Try sticking to whole foods with plenty of protein from beans, tofu, soy milk, seitan, tempeh, and limit the number of grain (rice, pasta, bread) servings. Eat small amounts of healthy fats like ground flax, chia seeds, avocados and nut butter, but don't overdo. Add nutritional yeast to your seasonings to boost nutrition and protein, and eat lots of veggies, including leafy greens, and you should be OK.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rockymtdeb wrote: »
    Look at Plant based Whole Foods. All plants have protein, fats, and carbs. Are you eating a lot of processed foods? Processed foods, have extra calories, salt and sugar. Are you drinking enough water? Some suggestions are to research, Chef AJ, Engine 2 Diet, Dr. Greager, Dr. Garth Davis and many more. Their focus is using plants to improve health, but weight loss is a great side effect.

Unless you're referring to trace amounts, it's just not true that all plants contain protein and fat.

Of course they do! Why else would herbivores grow? They only eat plants and they obviously have muscle and fat....

Come on, people!

Are you being serious or are you being facetious? I can't tell. If you are serious...

I'm sorry, but dietary fat and body fat aren't the same thing. And NO; most plants only have trace amounts of proteins and fats.

One apple for example has .3 grams of protein and .2 grams of fat.

Please go out and educate yourself on this topic because humans are not herbivores and require significantly more protein and fat. You cannot argue this fact.

I'm a vegetarian and have NEVER eaten meat; but I don't pretend this is anything *other* than an ethical choice. Being vegan and eating "only plants" without legumes, nuts, seeds, fat sources, dietary supplements, etc. is certainly not optimal for health.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rockymtdeb wrote: »
    Look at Plant based Whole Foods. All plants have protein, fats, and carbs. Are you eating a lot of processed foods? Processed foods, have extra calories, salt and sugar. Are you drinking enough water? Some suggestions are to research, Chef AJ, Engine 2 Diet, Dr. Greager, Dr. Garth Davis and many more. Their focus is using plants to improve health, but weight loss is a great side effect.

Unless you're referring to trace amounts, it's just not true that all plants contain protein and fat.

Of course they do! Why else would herbivores grow? They only eat plants and they obviously have muscle and fat....

Come on, people!

Plants contain protein and fat. But not *all plants* contain protein and fat.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I've been a fatter vegetarian and a thinner vegetarian. I've been vegan, lacto-only veg and ovo-lacto veg. The only difference between me being a fat herbivore and a thin herbivore is the number of calories I eat every day. I find it much easier to hit my protein targets when I include eggs and dairy, but only because I hate cooking and won't do it every day, and I'm not willing to do what I would need to in order to hit my protein and stay within my calorie budget as a vegan.

Lots of low-calorie foods are vegan, but so are peanut butter, dates, brown rice, roasted root veggies in coconut oil and dark chocolate, and I can eat the *kitten* out of all of them. Whether they're vegan or not, it's still all about the calories.
  • Vanillabeanss2
    Vanillabeanss2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Its all about the calories and knowing you body. Im vegan and I realised that I cant eat carbs like pasta and rice at night. I enjoy them at lunch and then I eat something light for dinner.

Maybe you are overdoing the pasta and rice and eating more calories then you should.
    This is exactly what I am saying. The only way I found it is because it happen to me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    marblessed wrote: »
    I have been a vegan for 4 years and those time are when I gain weight. People fail to say vegan diet to make you full you need to get carbs because vegetable can't make you full. So some one like myself with low metabolism speed retains those carbs. So I switch to vegetarian which is a bit better. That's my two cents for today..

Here's my $.02...

I'm not vegan, but my preferred way of eating is vegetarian about 3x per week...this includes a lot of lentils and beans and potatoes and quinoa and pasta, etc...as well as obviously vegetables and fruits and I do eat dairy and eggs on veg days.

I have zero issue maintaining my weight eating that way, but I struggle losing weight eating that way due in large part to the fact that many of the things that are staples of that way of eating are calorie dense so I have to cut my typical portions and fill them with something less calorie dense...in my case, I eat more lean protein...particularly fish to fill the void when I'm cutting weight.

I also like fish, so it's no biggie for me.

It's not the carbs themselves, it's that the staples tend to be calorie dense, and just eating smaller portions isn't particularly satisfying.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    this is some surreal *kitten*
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,366 Member
    Options
    this is some surreal *kitten*

Yeah, no baby feline!

I've been vegetarian for 43 years, from thin to fat to obese and back to thin again (and rarely hungry on the return trip from obese to thin). Never been vegan, but understand the way of eating enough to believe I could take the same journey on that WOE. Haven't had any trouble as a veg getting the typically-recommended .6-.8g protein per pound of goal weight, within quite low calories, without supplements (or fake meat). (Not a Religious Principal, I just don't like 'em.)

Now I've just learned that legumes, nuts and seeds aren't plants. Hmm. I mean, I guess they're not the body of the plant, but that's an . . . unusual way to use the term, I think.

SMH.