Vegan/vegetarian facts that fail to address...

Options
I have been a vegan for 4 years and those time are when I gain weight. People fail to say vegan diet to make you full you need to get carbs because vegetable can't make you full. So some one like myself with low metabolism speed retains those carbs. So I switch to vegetarian which is a bit better. That's my two cents for today..

Replies

• oSummerRaeo
    oSummerRaeo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    vegetables have carbs?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Vegetables are carbs. Carbs don't make you fat, excess calories do.
    this
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    vegetables have carbs?

:laugh:
  • Vanillabeanss2
    Vanillabeanss2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    vegetables have carbs?
    You eat the vegetables with rice and those heavy carbs do be full
  • Vanillabeanss2
    Options
    Vegetables are carbs. Carbs don't make you fat, excess calories do.
    The carbs are like rice and flour that pair with vegetable to help us remain full for a longer period of time. Thank you

• Vanillabeanss2
    Options
    If you gain weight when you're vegan, it's because you're consuming more calories during those periods.

It sounds like you may have some challenges planning your meals as a vegan. I successfully lost over 40 pounds while maintaining veganism -- it comes down to calories, just like it does for non-vegans. If vegetables aren't filling for you, I would suggest adding more protein or fat to your diet if you find that adding carbohydrates results in you consuming too many calories. But as others have pointed out, vegetables themselves are carbohydrates so it seems like learning a bit more about nutrition might help you create a diet that meets your needs.

At least someone with sense reply. That's all I am saying I was eating vegetable and rice or pasta thinking it will help. It makes me either maintain or gain. No weight lost
  • SophieeBrook
    SophieeBrook Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Its all about the calories and knowing you body. Im vegan and I realised that I cant eat carbs like pasta and rice at night. I enjoy them at lunch and then I eat something light for dinner.

Maybe you are overdoing the pasta and rice and eating more calories then you should.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    marblessed wrote: »
    I have been a vegan for 4 years and those time are when I gain weight. People fail to say vegan diet to make you full you need to get carbs because vegetable can't make you full. So some one like myself with low metabolism speed retains those carbs. So I switch to vegetarian which is a bit better. That's my two cents for today..

Did you get your metabolism tested to determine that it's low? If so, I'd speak with your doctor/dietitian about the best diet for you.

Yes, definitely get your thyroid tested. If it is under-functioning (Hypothyroid) medication can make a huge difference. It won't make you lose weight by itself but it will level the playing field. :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you want to do the vegan/vegetarian thing because of your religious beliefs or something, that's your business, but meat is good for you. It is a balance source of protein and it also puts fat into your diet, which can help to maintain hunger. If you are going to choose not to eat meat then you need to find a way to replace those things with the foods that you are willing to eat.
  • rockymtdeb
    rockymtdeb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Look at Plant based Whole Foods. All plants have protein, fats, and carbs. Are you eating a lot of processed foods? Processed foods, have extra calories, salt and sugar. Are you drinking enough water? Some suggestions are to research, Chef AJ, Engine 2 Diet, Dr. Greager, Dr. Garth Davis and many more. Their focus is using plants to improve health, but weight loss is a great side effect.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I spent three years living in vegetarian yoga communities and had lots of vegan friends, who were all at healthy weights. They made legumes the backbone of their diet and had active lifestyles.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rockymtdeb wrote: »
    Look at Plant based Whole Foods. All plants have protein, fats, and carbs. Are you eating a lot of processed foods? Processed foods, have extra calories, salt and sugar. Are you drinking enough water? Some suggestions are to research, Chef AJ, Engine 2 Diet, Dr. Greager, Dr. Garth Davis and many more. Their focus is using plants to improve health, but weight loss is a great side effect.

Unless you're referring to trace amounts, it's just not true that all plants contain protein and fat.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Vegetables have carbs. I'm confused by the original post.

Me too. I do not understand what the OP is trying to say...