Things people do that annoys you in the gym.

Options

Replies

• H0ckeyplaya55
    H0ckeyplaya55 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Flex in the gym mirror (not in the bathroom I’m extremely guilty of bathroom gym selfies)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    kwph wrote: »
    Agreed!!!!(Now ya got me going!) This same guy loves 2 yell at the gym ....I mean yell ,like across the room 2 his buddies...Now I go at 430am & this guy is yelling *kitten* like "Yoooo Bro let's do Triceps now! Yeah!!! Feeling the pump bro! Wooooooo!!!" ....Now meanwhile I've got my headphones on & they're pretty loud & I can hear him through my music....We got some new people working out there & u can see their look of shock like I think they think someone is arguing & they're staring like "what is wrong with that guy" (every morning)

Two women on treadmills do this at my gym. They come in together and they're obviously friends but they'll take treadmills on the opposite ends of the row from each other and then scream down the row while they "talk". I want to throw weights at their heads.
  • smantha32
    Options
    I get annoyed when 1) there is an entire row of not in use cardio machines and someone gets on the one on either side of the one I am on. Gym etiquette 101 leave some sweat space, at least every other machine when it is not a crowded time at the gym! 2)People who don't wipe down their equipment 3) I get grossed out when people use the industrial equipment spray to wipe down their faces!

Guilty of 1.

Usually because that machine doesn't have stripped bearings or a wobbly plate, or some other annoyance.

Or just because that's the machine I always get on and it's lined up with weather channel or ESPN

I tend to use one particular machine.. because the TV works better plus they have these bright @ss spotlight overhead lights and the machine I like is in a slightly dark spot that isn't right under one of them. lol

• smantha32
    Options
    I go to LA Fitness and they play ads over the loudspeakers every 15 minutes and I HATE it. I already joined...you don't have to advertise to me.

I usually have my headphones in, of course, but you can hear them in the locker room too. They fill me with rage and had I known they would be doing that I never would have joined.

I was at LA Fitness for a year and I mostly hated the weird emo music they played loudly 24/7. Not easy to work out to. I get why everyone had a music player with them.
  • smantha32
    Options
    When someone resembling a female fitness model joins your gym and gives you serious *kitten* envy lol

Yes! There's an actual fitness model in my gym. I'm tempted to go ask her all about her workout. lol
  • smantha32
    Options
    bwmalone wrote: »
    Was seriously considering getting a membership ... but after this thread, I don't think I will. I'll stick to BW exercise at home.

You don't see the douchey stuff as often as this thread implies. There's just a large collection of it here because everyone's contributing. lol
  • smantha32
    Options

I am really quite surprised at how judgemental some of the above posters are.

Gets on a thread titled "things people do that annoy you in the gym" and is surprised to find people being judgy.

Do people just look for threads they know will offend them so they can comment?

• smantha32
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    MidModJenn wrote: »
    People who crank the treadmill incline to the max height, and then hold on to the top of the machine for dear life to stay on. I can't concentrate on my own workout, because I want to get ready to catch them if they lose their grip and go flying backwards.

I know, right? And when they crank it up and then hold on, they are kind of defeating much of the purpose. Holding onto the machine instead of relying on your body to keep itself upright takes away a lot of the "work" part of it. The machine is crediting you with calories as if you were doing all the work, but you really aren't. I personally can max it out and walk on my own without gripping the machine just fine. But it takes a lot more effort than it does when you are using the machine as a crutch. But whatever. Not my business. Just seems like a waste, though. You could put it on a more manageable incline and walk independently and get more benefit out of it.

There's a guy at my gym who not only cranks the incline, but also the speed up. Then he "runs", holding on for dear life, for about 20-30 seconds, the whole time his feet slapping the poor machine so hard that I wonder how he hasn't damaged one yet. Then he holds onto the handrails and air runs with the belt the same speed. I happened to be next to him one time when it was busy, and he had a pattern like it's some plan in how he set the speed (going up then going down). After the minute or so he stands on the foot rails and puts the speed down and I think he walks. He's been doing this for a long time, a year or more I believe, and I have no idea what he's trying to accomplish ... :grey_question:

Maybe some kind of weird HIIT routine?
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Leaving the heaviest of weights on the barbells after they're done using them. And of course I need to put them away since I want to use the barbell.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    smantha32 wrote: »

I am really quite surprised at how judgemental some of the above posters are.

Gets on a thread titled "things people do that annoy you in the gym" and is surprised to find people being judgy.

Do people just look for threads they know will offend them so they can comment?

Post Reported !

j/k

... of course
  • glgcam5150
    glgcam5150 Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    People Actually
    Trying To Work Out Around Me
    While I’m Trying To Catch A Nap
    On The Bench 😴 💤
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    glgcam5150 wrote: »
    People Actually
    On The Bench 😴 💤

Right?

Those benches are a pretty convenient spot to place my smoothie.

It doesn't say anywhere on the bench that they are reserved for training and anyone jumping to that conclusion is flawed in their thinking, amiright?
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    This is not on most people's radars, but nobody ever wipes down the bars and grips on machines that hands constantly touch. While sweat on bench surfaces is certainly gross, it is actually the objects people touch with their hands that will transfer germs and viruses and make you sick...
  • glgcam5150
    glgcam5150 Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    People Actually
    On The Bench 😴 💤

Right?

It doesn't say anywhere on the bench that they are reserved for training and anyone jumping to that conclusion is flawed in their thinking, amiright?

No Fault In Your Comment There Bud,
    Now If I Could Just Hang My Clothes
    On All The Treadmills
    It Would Free Up So Much
    Space In My Closet
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    People Actually
    On The Bench 😴 💤

Right?

Last week I noticed someone put their jacket on one of the machines, leg raise I think. Still there as of yesterday. I have found sweatshirts, shoes, water bottles, dirty shaker cups, etc. left behind. Because my gym is small, basically a one-man operation, there is no cleaning crew and this stuff just stays there until someone, usually me, throws it away. If I forget something, I never have to worry, it will be there on my next visit.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    The other day, a group of guys were training. Whilst one of them were on a machine his friend stood in front and showed his butt crack. The guy most likely in his late thirties. If not his early 40's
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    People Actually
    On The Bench 😴 💤

Right?

No Fault In Your Comment There Bud,
    Now If I Could Just Hang My Clothes
    On All The Treadmills
    It Would Free Up So Much
    Space In My Closet

also..... the old guy using one of the highly coveted squat racks to stretch his hamstrings.

..... for 25 minutes.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    PWRLFTR1 wrote: »
    People Actually
    On The Bench 😴 💤

Right?

Last week I noticed someone put their jacket on one of the machines, leg raise I think. Still there as of yesterday. I have found sweatshirts, shoes, water bottles, dirty shaker cups, etc. left behind. Because my gym is small, basically a one-man operation, there is no cleaning crew and this stuff just stays there until someone, usually me, throws it away. If I forget something, I never have to worry, it will be there on my next visit.

...... so, a half eaten banana sitting on top of a leg extension machine, like the one at my gym, is okay?

• _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_
    _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_ Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Hogging all the machines, dancing between sets, singing out loud, not wiping sweat after using a machine. Oh, wait...I have a home gym. It's me. I'm that person. I'm such a *kitten*.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

...... so, a half eaten banana sitting on top of a leg extension machine, like the one at my gym, is okay?

[/quote]

Actually, I haven't seen food (yet), so maybe that's the redline.