Please help me....In desperate need of expert advice

Options

Replies

• SarahMacphail1
    SarahMacphail1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for telling me (and showing me) higher doses of B12 + D, this may well be why I am struggling every single day, everything is a real effort and I do mean everything.

I will be taking all this information to my Doctor and hopefully getting me sorted.

Can I just ask tho....those of you who have spoke tonight about stronger doses of both and more regular injections....are you from UK ??? As I'm worried maybe it's different in different countries.

I'm in the UK and on the same dose as you for what they said was a severe Vit D deficiency. I was on a ridiculously high dose for 6 weeks to start with then on to this so maintenance dose perhaps? Either way I feel a hell of a lot better than I did before starting it so if you're not doing it may well be worth speaking to your GP about it.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary again. It seems you are weighing your food but choosing inaccurate entries. First thing i saw from today's food .You logged a medium banana 127 grams. I assume you weighed it. You logged it as 97 calories . According to the usda data a 127 gram banana is actually 113 calories. That was one item from today. I don't know about the rest, but it is really a matter of inaccurate logging as far as i can tell. The only other thing that could be affecting your weight loss would be hypothyroidism which has been left untreated. You can ask your doc. for the blood tests and exclude that.But you just have to put in the work to see results. Weigh everything you eat, fresh or prepackaged. Make sure the entry you find is accurate. If not, find one that is, or fix the wrong entry. When you cook, use the recipe builder.
    As the previous poster said, tdee and bmr calculators are based on averages.It is going to be accurate for most of the people, but not for all.
    Those calculators don't work for me. I have pcos, hypothyroidism and on top of that i'm very short. I did not follow the calculators' suggestions because i would not have lost weight if i did. It's a bit of trial and error. If medically everything's alright, then your food diary is where you must start.
  • sunshine12870
    sunshine12870 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary again. It seems you are weighing your food but choosing inaccurate entries. First thing i saw from today's food .You logged a medium banana 127 grams. I assume you weighed it. You logged it as 97 calories . According to the usda data a 127 gram banana is actually 113 calories. That was one item from today. I don't know about the rest, but it is really a matter of inaccurate logging as far as i can tell. The only other thing that could be affecting your weight loss would be hypothyroidism which has been left untreated. You can ask your doc. for the blood tests and exclude that.But you just have to put in the work to see results. Weigh everything you eat, fresh or prepackaged. Make sure the entry you find is accurate. If not, find one that is, or fix the wrong entry. When you cook, use the recipe builder.
    As the previous poster said, tdee and bmr calculators are based on averages.It is going to be accurate for most of the people, but not for all.
    Those calculators don't work for me. I have pcos, hypothyroidism and on top of that i'm very short. I did not follow the calculators' suggestions because i would not have lost weight if i did. It's a bit of trial and error. If medically everything's alright, then your food diary is where you must start.

OMG.....REALLY!!!!
    So yet again I think I'm getting on top of things and still it isn't right.

I took that calorie total from MFP data Base!....(which yeah has all different calories totals), so how on earth do you actually 100% know what one is right???, how does anyone know for sure what one is actually right, even Google gives a different calorie total.
    The packaging here in the UK gives a different total as well.

It's getting beyond a joke now. Back to going round in circles again.

It ain't going to make much difference to me today as I'm struggling to get up to my calories.

But...If anyone knows where to get the 100% correct calories totals for all different foods here in the "UK" can you let me know please.

I tell you what has been the biggest shock over last few days now that I'm putting in grams instead of slice etc......on most foods I've actually been under not over! and when I went back in my diary and worked out totals for certain days I wasn't even reaching 1100 never mind going over 1200.
    I dare say there will be things I will come across that I was under estimating by not putting exact grams, but haven't found them as yet.

Now it's about finding out correct calorie totals of foods
  • sunshine12870
    sunshine12870 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for telling me (and showing me) higher doses of B12 + D, this may well be why I am struggling every single day, everything is a real effort and I do mean everything.

I will be taking all this information to my Doctor and hopefully getting me sorted.

Can I just ask tho....those of you who have spoke tonight about stronger doses of both and more regular injections....are you from UK ??? As I'm worried maybe it's different in different countries.

I'm in the UK and on the same dose as you for what they said was a severe Vit D deficiency. I was on a ridiculously high dose for 6 weeks to start with then on to this so maintenance dose perhaps? Either way I feel a hell of a lot better than I did before starting it so if you're not doing it may well be worth speaking to your GP about it.

Yes same here...I had to take these disgusting oil caplet things, think they were 20,000iu, once a week for 6 weeks, then a week after taking the last one start on these 800iu tablets, which yes is what they consider a long term maintenance, but my levels just keep dropping again.
    Anyway...will see what happens after next check up on them at end of this month.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    But...If anyone knows where to get the 100% correct calories totals for all different foods here in the "UK" can you let me know please.
    Again, there is no such thing. Stop thinking in absolutes.
    The real world is not black and white. All of the numbers are estimates.

If you had your own team of biologists and chemists working in a lab to prepare and test samples of all of your food then maybe you could come up with something more accurate but that is not practical to say the least.

The reality is that a 16 calorie difference for a single banana is not the problem here.

The problem is that there could be a dozen little inaccuracies a day like that: 12 different food entries * 16 calories extra each = 192 calories extra per day.

Doing 200 calories of exercise would make up for that, of course.
    Or just start by using the food entries with the HIGHEST calorie totals instead...

If you want to "lose weight" then you should usually estimate high on your CI (food/In) and low on your CO (exercise/Out).

There are no shortcuts.

I think many people (subconsciously?) pick food entries with the lowest totals when they are trying to "lose weight."
  • honeybunny406
    honeybunny406 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Get on-line and find a site that tells you how many calories you need to be ingesting for your age, height, weight, in order to lose weight. There are many out there. The other culprit might be your salt intake. Keep track of that. Try and keep it at 2000mg (you may want to check with your physician in regards to the exact amount) or less, each day. If you use salt to cook/bake with, it may be that your body is retaining fluids. I find with myself that if I don't eat the right combinations of food that I don't lose weight. I also found that when I decreased the salt to that mentioned above, I started to see results. If you have been doing this for some time your body may need a shake up, be it the food or the workouts. Our bodies like status quo, they don't like the weight loss thing. Sometimes it is just tweeking a small thing before our bodies start their weight loss again. Keep up the good work. You've got this.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    vivianng0 wrote: »
    I would focus on the number of macro nutrients first and then the number of calories you are consuming. Try to make sure 40% of your diet is protein, 30% carbs, 30% fats. If possible I would try to cut out dairy and any simple carbs. These are tips I've received in the past from a nutritionist and they have helped me.

Macronutrients splits are personal and have no bearing in weight loss. Calories first then macros. I'm glad the macro split has helped you, though.

And no need to cut out dairy or simple carbs, either. Also, nutritionists don't have proper nutrition training like Dietitians do; some nutrition courses are merely weekend courses, whereas Dietitians go to university for a few years. :)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Again, there is no such thing. Stop thinking in absolutes.
    The real world is not black and white. All of the numbers are estimates.

If you had your own team of biologists and chemists working in a lab to prepare and test samples of all of your food then maybe you could come up with something more accurate but that is not practical to say the least.

The reality is that a 16 calorie difference for a single banana is not the problem here.

The problem is that there could be a dozen little inaccuracies a day like that: 12 different food entries * 16 calories extra each = 192 calories extra per day.

Doing 200 calories of exercise would make up for that, of course.
    Pretty much this. Don't miss the big picture while you're focusing on the tiny things. It's most important to log everything, every single day, with no exceptions. Then, it's second-most important to weigh all solid foods on a food scale, or at least the ones that are calorie-dense. After that, it's important to choose the right entries (look for ones with a green checkmark or that include the phrase "USDA" in the name. Stay away from any entries that include sizes, such as "medium banana," because that's not objective in any way).

However...at your CW, if you're anywhere in the ballpark of 1200 +/- 200 calories, you'd be losing weight. Those 16 extra banana calories aren't your problem.

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i think that a lot of muscle soreness is not uncommon with new exercise and may continue longer than necessary if you don't get adequate rest. this is something i'm guilty of as well. i'm afraid that rest will slow my momentum and it does more harm than good to over train, even if it's just walking. also, DOMS and water retention are linked and can mask fat loss.
  • cqbkaju
    Options
    i think that a lot of muscle soreness is not uncommon with new exercise and may continue longer than necessary if you don't get adequate rest. this is something i'm guilty of as well. i'm afraid that rest will slow my momentum and it does more harm than good to over train, even if it's just walking. also, DOMS and water retention are linked and can mask fat loss.
    Actually, multiple studies have shown that additional exercise and/or activity flush the lactic acid, etc. out of the muscles at much faster and efficiently than "rest".

DOMS is not an indicator of how hard you exercised and it definitely does not mean than you should not be exercising the same muscles, unless recovery is otherwise incomplete.

Usually 48 hours is more than enough time to exercise the same muscle groups again in the majority of the population.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Actually, multiple studies have shown that additional exercise and/or activity flush the lactic acid, etc. out of the muscles at much faster and efficiently than "rest".

DOMS is not an indicator of how hard you exercised and it definitely does not mean than you should not be exercising the same muscles, unless recovery is otherwise incomplete.

Usually 48 hours is more than enough time to exercise the same muscle groups again in the majority of the population.

what do you mean by otherwise incomplete? i am like the DOMS queen, so i'm interested in learning more about this.
  • cqbkaju
    Options
    what do you mean by otherwise incomplete? i am like the DOMS queen, so i'm interested in learning more about this.
    Send me a note or something so I remember to reply tomorrow.
    I have to run to the gym and I coach this evening.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Get on-line and find a site that tells you how many calories you need to be ingesting for your age, height, weight, in order to lose weight. There are many out there. The other culprit might be your salt intake. Keep track of that. Try and keep it at 2000mg (you may want to check with your physician in regards to the exact amount) or less, each day. If you use salt to cook/bake with, it may be that your body is retaining fluids. I find with myself that if I don't eat the right combinations of food that I don't lose weight. I also found that when I decreased the salt to that mentioned above, I started to see results. If you have been doing this for some time your body may need a shake up, be it the food or the workouts. Our bodies like status quo, they don't like the weight loss thing. Sometimes it is just tweeking a small thing before our bodies start their weight loss again. Keep up the good work. You've got this.

As MFP does this, I'm confused.

When I weigh my food on a digital food scale, eat the calories MFP gives me, eat some (but not all) of my exercise calories, I lose as expected over the course of a month.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

OMG.....REALLY!!!!
    So yet again I think I'm getting on top of things and still it isn't right.

I took that calorie total from MFP data Base!....(which yeah has all different calories totals), so how on earth do you actually 100% know what one is right???, how does anyone know for sure what one is actually right, even Google gives a different calorie total.
    The packaging here in the UK gives a different total as well.

It's getting beyond a joke now. Back to going round in circles again.

It ain't going to make much difference to me today as I'm struggling to get up to my calories.

I tell you what has been the biggest shock over last few days now that I'm putting in grams instead of slice etc......on most foods I've actually been under not over! and when I went back in my diary and worked out totals for certain days I wasn't even reaching 1100 never mind going over 1200.
    I dare say there will be things I will come across that I was under estimating by not putting exact grams, but haven't found them as yet.

Now it's about finding out correct calorie totals of foods

I think the USDA database would be fine for getting the calories for whole foods. Use the info off the packages for packaged foods. Beware of user-created entries.

I get the syntax for whole foods from the USDA website and then plug that in to MFP to make it easier to find the system entry rather than an error-prone user-created entry.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Whenever i add whole foods into my diary i follow the entry with USDA- "Banana raw usda", "Broccoli raw usda" "chicken breast raw usda" etc etc It doesnt matter that it's a US based entry, I'm in Australia.

If i ever want to double check something, I go here: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search

The above site has the values (calories, macros) of just about every fresh food in existence.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    she already does exercise without eating back the calories, and her calorie intake is quite low for someone her size, even if there is a few logging discrepancies. This is one of the few cases where I'm starting to think thyroid really is to blame.

Something similar happened when I tried to get my mom on myfitnesspal... her BMR should be 1300 (using the most conservative and accurate TDEE calculator I know of) but she wouldn't let me set her calories for anything over 1200. So she eats at 1200 calories for a couple weeks... and gained 5 pounds. Then I had her go back to her normal diet and just track those calories and turns out she eats 900 calories or less on most days. Decades of under eating, no exercise, sedentary lifestyle, and thyroid issues I guess has made her metabolism extremely slow. But she is overweight because the few times she goes out to eat or eats more than her pitiful 900 calories it all goes straight to her thighs! These cases are rare but I've seen it first hand. Not sure how to fix it...

I feel like here there may be something similar going on in this case for the OP to not be losing on so few calories.
    Maybe she needs to get her health in check and not worry about losing weight right now? It is hard to resolve defficiencies when in a caloric deficit. Maybe just focus on nutritious healthy foods, eating intuitively to fullness and not worrying about numbers yet, do exercise, take supplements, and get on any necessary medications to fix the various health issues. Get lots of sleep, reduce stress, walk, do yoga... that type of thing?? Just an idea.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Whenever i add whole foods into my diary i follow the entry with USDA- "Banana raw usda", "Broccoli raw usda" "chicken breast raw usda" etc etc It doesnt matter that it's a US based entry, I'm in Australia.

If i ever want to double check something, I go here: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search

The above site has the values (calories, macros) of just about every fresh food in existence.

that.for things i can't find (like homemade cheese) ,i just pick one of the higher calorie entries that are similar to what i'm eating.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,609 Member
    Options
    Then I had her go back to her normal diet and just track those calories and turns out she eats 900 calories or less on most days. Decades of under eating, no exercise, sedentary lifestyle, and thyroid issues I guess has made her metabolism extremely slow. But she is overweight because the few times she goes out to eat or eats more than her pitiful 900 calories it all goes straight to her thighs! These cases are rare but I've seen it first hand. Not sure how to fix it...

First rule out medical conditions.
    Then evaluate whether to try from the current level or to attempt reverse dieting.
    Whether that succeeds and whether the budget for doing so exists... that I don't have experience with.
    @heybales might have some useful input.
  • pitegny
    pitegny Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Are you sleeping 7-8 hours a night? I have only been at this for six weeks, but have some great results and I have noticed the better I sleep, the more I lose. I am also 5'4" and was set a goal of MFP of 1200. It is working for me. I eat very little packaged food, many days my one slice of multigrain bread and my yogurt are the only ready made products. Otherwise I am eating fruit, vegetables and a little chicken, fish and cheese. I love to cook and eat and am managing to find lots of recipes that are both tasty and fit within my calorie goal. MFP's recipe calculator is one of my best tools. By balancing my meals and having snacks like hummus and carrots, I find I am not hungry. If you are weighing and exercising a lot, perhaps you might think at looking at what you are eating and try to change some of the foods around to find what works for you.