Pulled Pork

Options
Hi all.

I've been thinking of trying pulled pork for weight loss and I wondered if anyone had any experience with it and any thoughts on the pros and cons.

I was going to start by eating a bowl of pulled pork every morning before breakfast. I hope this will steady my blood sugar and melt fat.

Let me know what you think!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious to me!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Pulled pork can be very fatty and high calorie, however, I'll sometimes make pulled pork out of a pork tenderloin. I'll trim the excess fat, then smoke it in the smoker until it falls apart. Shred it and put on a low cal bun with some lower calorie spicy bbq sauce and top with a fried egg. Yum. I have not made it in a while because it's been too cold and nasty outside and I've been too lazy to brave the weather long enough to fire up the smoker. I think I may do it this weekend though now that you mentioned pulled pork. ;)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a vegetarian, but back when I tried a low carb diet, I used to make pulled pork quite a bit. I found a crock pot to be very useful in making it.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    I have pulled pork for dinner sometimes. I can't imagine eating it for breakfast. But whatever floats your boat.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    A pork loin, slow cooked until it's falling apart, then shredded and smothered in BBQ sauce is delicious. We eat it often. I find it's easy to count the calories of 4oz of BBQ pork, a side item, and a tablespoon of mayo.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a vegetarian, but back when I tried a low carb diet, I used to make pulled pork quite a bit. I found a crock pot to be very useful in making it.

Maybe you could try pulled jackfruit? It's supposed to replicate the "pulledness" of pulled pork. If it can fool your taste buds, surely it can fool your fat stores?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Maybe you could try pulled jackfruit? It's supposed to replicate the "pulledness" of pulled pork. If it can fool your taste buds, surely it can fool your fat stores?

I *love* BBQ jackfruit. I'm also at my goal weight, so I think I was following OP's plan without even knowing it. BBQ for everyone!
  • Rowan09
    Rowan09 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    And you're just . . . giving this plan away for free? A plan like this is worth at least 3 easy payments of $29.95, plus a continuing subscription fee for online coaching.
    Very helpful and not at all condescending. 10/10 post.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I am also a vegetarian but I like to buy the large container of frozen precooked pulled pork from Sam's club for my husband to eat. Do you think he will get the same effect on this diet even though he is using a processed store bought version instead of homemade????
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Rowan09 wrote: »
    And you're just . . . giving this plan away for free? A plan like this is worth at least 3 easy payments of $29.95, plus a continuing subscription fee for online coaching.

?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I keep tubs of pulled pork BBQ in the freezer as a quick microwave supper option. High protein and delicious.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

I *love* BBQ jackfruit. I'm also at my goal weight, so I think I was following OP's plan without even knowing it. BBQ for everyone!

My Shop Rite carries it, but I'm meh on trying it. I'm all about protein and it's pretty lacking where that's concerned. Though I could serve it with a side of beans. Hmm....
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    srk369 wrote: »
    I am also a vegetarian but I like to buy the large container of frozen precooked pulled pork from Sam's club for my husband to eat. Do you think he will get the same effect on this diet even though he is using a processed store bought version instead of homemade????
    Nope, sorry. You need to slaughter your own vinegar fed pig to get any benefits.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    Rowan09 wrote: »

?

These are the first ten points I've ever gotten here. Please don't question it, I need something to justify to my mother why she spent all that time raising me and all that money on my braces.

Question rescinded. :D