Dating and dieting

Options
SisterSueGetsFit
SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I need help. How do you balance dating and dieting? I've lost 50 pounds in the last year and feel confident and pretty for the first time in forever. I still have a little ways to go but I'm comfortable with where I'm at. My question is how do I balance dating and dieting? I want to go out and I want to eat all the food and I want to drink all the drinks and I want to meet all the boys. The problem is I can't fit this in my calorie range. I don't want to unload the whole "I used to be fat" thing right away. Yes, I really enjoy the smoke meats and whiskey and I enjoy a carefree evening. The problem is I have three or four of these a week... What in the hell am I supposed to do?

Replies

• SisterSueGetsFit
    Options
    I guess I should be more specific and less facetious. Typical dating involves food that is not in my normal catalog and drinks than I would not typically have. I understand it's easy to say "just don't do it" and I understand and respect that to a degree. However, I'm trying to fit in real life with my real life struggle to lose the last 20 pounds. My problem comes in is with the gray line. I can do this once a week, and that's OK. Problem is I have three or four dates a week and it's becoming excessive and impossible to lose the weight that I want.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Options
    go on dates that dont need to be around those things?
    Mini golf, bowling, go out to a park, have a picnic, maybe i just have a different type of interest in guys but Ive never been on a date to a bar or a place where i was able to consume ALL the food, usually the restaurants id go to you order one meal and thats it.

I'm not actually eating "ALL" the food, I was just trying to be funny. :) Thank you for your comment though. I will have to consider pulling in more of your options.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    yeah i know the struggle im going through it right now XD Friday nights out feeling like a sexy babe on the arm of an exciting new guy is fun. And The drinks flowing definatly put me off weight loss for the past month.

I managed to keep from gaining by walking more that week and saving calories. Definatly easy to blow the week if you have multiple dates though. Im lucky i found a guy who likes to do things like shoot guns and surf tattoo shops as dates. But man does he drink....And ill never be able to turn that down when only time i see him is once a week :p. The fun is worth it to me. Decide if it is for you. Iv committed to walking even more which is going to eat up like all my spare time but itl kickstart my loss again, And im taking the week off drinking hoping for the whoosh XD
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I guess I should be more specific and less facetious. Typical dating involves food that is not in my normal catalog and drinks than I would not typically have. I understand it's easy to say "just don't do it" and I understand and respect that to a degree. However, I'm trying to fit in real life with my real life struggle to lose the last 20 pounds. My problem comes in is with the gray line. I can do this once a week, and that's OK. Problem is I have three or four dates a week and it's becoming excessive and impossible to lose the weight that I want.

Not to pry...Same person, a couple different guys? If it's the same person, he should probably get that you don't want to eat burritos (or whatever) 3x per week. You'll have to make some lighter options when you go out once in awhile, and keep the days you drink down to 1 or 2. It takes a little juggling, I know. I struggled all through Fall with it.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. I bank calories on the days we aren't going out and limit how much I eat when we do go out. I still enjoy myself, but I don't stuff myself. A couple pieces of pizza, grilled shrimp with half a baked sweet potato and salad (butter and dressing on the side), or something else that won't throw me over my calories. I use a weekly average to watch my goal rather than a daily and it's working out perfectly.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Not to pry...Same person, a couple different guys? If it's the same person, he should probably get that you don't want to eat burritos (or whatever) 3x per week. You'll have to make some lighter options when you go out once in awhile, and keep the days you drink down to 1 or 2. It takes a little juggling, I know. I struggled all through Fall with it.

No, not the same person typically. I had my first "second" date tonight. It's actually pretty great. But I'm navigating my way through the dating system after finally becoming comfortable with myself. I don't want to be the girl who order salad and water because I like whiskey and tacos. It's a really difficult balance.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    is there a reason you HAVE to go on so many dates every week?

because she feels sexy and wants to. I did it because i hadnt felt confident before but now i do. Worked my *kitten* off for my body i wanna go out looking hot ;D

You kind of nailed it. Searching my way through this dating The world is difficult. I refuse to settle and I want to have fun. Phone is not a salad and water, at least to me. Fun is good food and maybe one too many whiskeys. I know it's good for me and I know what's fun, the hard part is balancing the two. I finally feel pretty and boys want to date me... but I can't go out five days a week and maintain a good calorie deficit. I also don't want to count out somebody who could mean something to me...
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options

Well, there wouldn't be if I could meet a guy that I wanted to go out with a second time! :)

Took me 5 guys to find one i liked :p Problem was balancing a few at once sort of really sucked. I was in your exact position. Be careful not to lead any on if your not REALLY into it because eventually youll find a good one and letting the other down was hard XD
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Learn the portion sizes of these foods and drinks that fit your goals.
    Choose different foods and drinks that you are more comfortable with.
    Increase your activity level to give you more calories.
    Date once a week at a restaurant/bar instead of 3-4 restaurant/bar dates a week. Do other types of dates.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

because she feels sexy and wants to. I did it because i hadnt felt confident before but now i do. Worked my *kitten* off for my body i wanna go out looking hot ;D

You kind of nailed it. Searching my way through this dating The world is difficult. I refuse to settle and I want to have fun. Phone is not a salad and water, at least to me. Fun is good food and maybe one too many whiskeys. I know it's good for me and I know what's fun, the hard part is balancing the two. I finally feel pretty and boys want to date me... but I can't go out five days a week and maintain a good calorie deficit. I also don't want to count out somebody who could mean something to me...

X amount of dates is fun for awhile. I personally burn out. Have your fun. Take a maintenance break or get into a moderate deficit, bank some calories for drinks and a meal twice per week. You won't lose doing it 5x per week though.