Feel Too Fat To Date

Options

Replies

• kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    After my divorce (and 3 kids), I was nervous to date because of my size. I wasn't terribly overweight, but I knew I was by no means the kind of woman a man was looking for.

I was wrong...

Men like what they like. You would be surprised. I never hid who I was from anyone.

I'd get back out there if I were you. It can actually be confident building once you realize that there are people out there who see you as beautiful even if you don't.

• LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter if you are or your not, if you feel it, its true.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Are any of you in the same boat as me where you won't even consider dating until you lose more weight because you just don't feel confident about dating at your current size?

I understand. But I've come to learn that if people aren't going to accept me now, what does that say about them if they would accept me only after I was in better shape. Same could be said for EVERY aspect of ourselves.

• Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Are any of you in the same boat as me where you won't even consider dating until you lose more weight because you just don't feel confident about dating at your current size? I put a dating profile up & was blown away by my how many guys messaged me. But...I didn't feel comfortable putting full body pics up so they were just seeing headshots of me & Im guessing they probably assume Im much thinner then I really am. Only had profile up for a few days & then took it down cuz what's the point when I know men are visual creatures and my body does not look good right now.

I'd definitely need to lose a LOT of weight to start dating

don't tell my wife i said that
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Yes. I completely feel this way. I've gone out on a couple dates since I've become single but I wasn't confident enough to actually go out with the guys I was actually attracted to...
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    ...I grew up as the ugly girl. I had to be very careful around guys because a lot of them were uncomfortable even being friends with me for fear i might start liking them. I was told things like they would commit suicide if i ever did. I was told that it was very insulting for a girl like me to like a guy. I had guys bigger then me tell me i was the fattest thing ever because as a girl, i shouldn't be fat. I didn't date my first guy until i was 21 and i lost my virginity to him only because by that age i was convinced that no one else would want it. And even til my late 20's people would yell horrible things out of their car windows at me because my weight was bothering them and they felt i shouldn't even be allowed outside...
    Wow. Humanity is cancer.
  • FatladNeil
    FatladNeil Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If it's any comfort, I feel exactly the same. I'm a big guy, and have no confidence with women at all. I've been single for almost a year and sometimes feel that ill be alone for the rest of my life.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Feel too fat? Yes, I do. Every day.
  • Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard to do, but sometimes you just have to put yourself out there. Different people are attracted to different things, it's cli che but there's someone out there for everybody, someone is bound to find you attractive. I know plenty of men who . nd bigger women attractive, and actually prefer that size.

Also, even if you lose weight and become thinner some people will still find a way to complain about a physical trait you have. If it's not your weight they'll find something else not to like about you.

I know the struggle, but you have to find a way to be comfortable in your own skin. I struggle with it every day, but you have to own and be proud of who you are. if someone doesnt like you because of your weight just think of it as them doing you a favor,now you know they would have been a waste of time.
  • Deatsy
    Deatsy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    There is a soulmate for everyone but you wont find them when you lock yourself in and throw away the key
  • schmanciepants
    schmanciepants Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize with how you are feeling. I started online dating and feel the same way. I don't think my pictures are misleading, but I still feel like I need to get where I feel my best before continuing down that path.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    Don't assume just because you're heavier than you want to be that you can't find someone to date. I know and see plenty of heavier women with boyfriends/dating.

She's right.. Plenty of the big girls have a very full filling love life.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    One thing is for sure, there are many, many profiles pictures that were taken 10 years and 30 pounds ago. It is expected really, in my age group anyway. Most of the guys I met were older and heavier than their pictures indicated. As long as your photos are not too misleading, I would not worry about it. Have confidence in yourself at any weight!

I once talked to a woman who looked pretty fit and had pics of her in the gym. When we met...

"Those were before I had to have shoulder surgery about 6 months ago and gained 20 lbs. But I will get back to that."

That was about two years ago. Needless to say, we never dated. You prove yourself to be manipulative right off the bat, and it isn't going to happen. But I do have her on fb, and she recently got into bikes with her bf of a year. We will chat occasionally. Her goal is not to get back down to where she was when we met. Rather than "getting back to that" she instead put on 20 more lbs.

I've never understood people who lie about their looks if they're planning on meeting in person. If you're not honest before you even meet, why would anyone want to date you?

I believe that, many just hope that their personality'll win; them over!
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited February 2017
    Options
    One thing is for sure, there are many, many profiles pictures that were taken 10 years and 30 pounds ago. It is expected really, in my age group anyway. Most of the guys I met were older and heavier than their pictures indicated. As long as your photos are not too misleading, I would not worry about it. Have confidence in yourself at any weight!

I once talked to a woman who looked pretty fit and had pics of her in the gym. When we met...

"Those were before I had to have shoulder surgery about 6 months ago and gained 20 lbs. But I will get back to that."

That was about two years ago. Needless to say, we never dated. You prove yourself to be manipulative right off the bat, and it isn't going to happen. But I do have her on fb, and she recently got into bikes with her bf of a year. We will chat occasionally. Her goal is not to get back down to where she was when we met. Rather than "getting back to that" she instead put on 20 more lbs.

I've never understood people who lie about their looks if they're planning on meeting in person. If you're not honest before you even meet, why would anyone want to date you?

Yup probably. I wonder if it ever happens. All I know is you lie to me before we even meet, I'm not gonna be interested.

I agree because if someone's already "obviously" lying concerning something, what're they then potentially also lying about that; isn't "obvious"?
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited February 2017
    Options

Yup probably. I wonder if it ever happens. All I know is you lie to me before we even meet, I'm not gonna be interested.

Agree because if someone's already "obviously" lying concerning, something what're they potentially also lying about that; isn't "obvious"?

Lying liars who lie. There's lots out there.

Oddly I was told by some men that potentially I, shouldn't mention my disability until after I've seen someone; since I wasn't having any luck finding anyone & I, told them but it's debilitating & thus'd affect their lives, so I am not going to; waste someone's time, feelings, money or mine! Apparently I was, too real; for them & they, didn't like it because they then couldn't use truth against me for, not desiring to; date me!
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited February 2017
    Options

Agree because if someone's already "obviously" lying concerning, something what're they potentially also lying about that; isn't "obvious"?

Lying liars who lie. There's lots out there.

Oddly I was told by some men that potentially I, shouldn't mention my disability until after I've seen someone; since I wasn't having any luck finding anyone & I told them but it's debilitating & thus'd affect their lives, so I am not going to; waste someone's time, feelings, money or mine! Apparently I was, too real; for them & they, didn't like it because they then couldn't use truth against me for, not desiring to; date me!

Wow, that's crazy they said that. Sounds like you are right on about why they'd want you to not disclose that.

Well they had to form some excuse to run to their Mommy's with when, they'd eventually complain that their Son hasn't began; a family of his own: "But Mom it, ain't my fault that; women don't like me & lie." lol! :D
  • tnlupfer
    tnlupfer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I met my husband via online dating (OK Cupid) and I was sooooo nervous to actually meet because of my weight at the time. I mentioned I wasn't a "skinny girl" but we all know that can mean a lot of different things. I also mentioned the reasons behind my weight gain (former BF passed away suddenly and I fell apart and gave up on me)...and ummm yeah we are married now and I know I met my sole-mate. Trust your instincts and gut feelings about meeting, the right one won't honestly care and will have your back on your weight-loss journey...hold out for that :) and good luck <3
  • paulmidi
    paulmidi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Are there any ladies from Oklahoma on here? I'm a single male 57 in Oklahoma City I would love to have a walking buddy or just friends.
    have

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I lost 117 pounds and the person mentally i thought i was going to be when i finished turned out to not be anymore confident, confidence is a skill learned and applied, Ive been at goal weight for a long time now but i know if i had to put myself out there to find a man again like years ago when i was bigger, my issues would still be the same.. i still look at myself negatively, so it wasnt that i was fat before, it was because i didnt value myself enough as a person or think i was worthy as a human and thats from years or letting people around me who treated me horrible for their own personal gain, convince me of that, im still working on that aspect, but as a skinny person now.. i know i would still feel unworthy, i have loose skin, i have belly fat still, i dont look anything like i thought i would look like when i lost the weight, these would all be reasons i would think i would be unworthy of going out on dates, but im the one telling myself these things, if i had the confidence in myself to know that i am an amazing person on the inside, i would know that a man getting to know me for me wouldn't have the problems with the things i think are my problems.

Excellent self analysis. The first step to fixing a problem is acknowledging what's wrong. You can do it. I wish you every success in the future.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You're making assumptions about the guys responding to your profile. Men vary as much as women in what they think, feel, and do. You can't know exactly what other people think when seeing your photo.

What this does reveal is your own insecurity. Hey, I get it. Women who aren't skinny are made to feel we are not worthy of love. By media. By the bullies at school. Sometimes by our own parents. That's only for the skinny girls, right? I call BS.

Going out and putting oneself out there is risking hurt and rejection. But that's true if you're a supermodel, too. Notice that celebrities have breakups, divorces, and heartbreak, too? There's no guarantee that being skinny will save you from hurt. It may be easier to get out there if you feel more confident about your body, but it's really self-worth that helps a person realize that the risks of dating are survivable.

I absolutely think you should put any photo you are comfortable with online. If you want your potential date to know what your body size is, yeah be honest about it. But that's entirely up to you and there's no right answer.

Also realize the guy on "the other side of the screen" is more than likely very similar to you. He's probably a normal guy just as afraid of putting his heart out there. He likely isn't an underwear model.

So here's a brilliant idea: be honest. Of course, sell it in a flattering light...but sell it. You're looking for a normal guy that may be working on his weight like you are. There are a lot of men like that here on MFP why wouldn't there be where you are?