Calling all "Clean Eaters"

Options
Do you use supplements? Do you use Bee Pollen?

Replies

• MorningWhispers
    Options
    The only supplements I take is a Vitamin D tablet and a Fish Oil capsule. Last time I had blood work done the doctor told me I needed to start taking Vitamin D and then last week when I told her I was going to try being a vegetarian for a few months, she told me to take a Fish Oil capsule to help me get my omega fatty acids.

I haven't really heard much about bee pollen, what is it supposed to do?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    The only supplements I take is a Vitamin D tablet and a Fish Oil capsule. Last time I had blood work done the doctor told me I needed to start taking Vitamin D and then last week when I told her I was going to try being a vegetarian for a few months, she told me to take a Fish Oil capsule to help me get my omega fatty acids.

Can't you just drink milk?
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Yes Yes I do. As a clean eater I use this.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    lolwut.
  • minijuggernaut
    minijuggernaut Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    is this a trap?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    is this a trap?

omg your back!!!
  • minijuggernaut
    Options
    is this a trap?

omg your back!!!

Hmm?
  • MorningWhispers
    Options

I am lactose intolerant otherwise yes I could.
  • comm1t_1984
    comm1t_1984 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yes Yes I do. As a clean eater I use this.

what are the benefits you've seen from bee pollen? what supplements do you take?
  • comm1t_1984
    Options
    is this a trap?

No trap. I just started clean eating and am reading a book on it, and the author uses bee pollen...just curious :)

You look amazing!
  • minijuggernaut
    Options
    is this a trap?

No trap. I just started clean eating and am reading a book on it, and the author uses bee pollen...just curious :)

You look amazing!

Oh gosh, thank you! If only I could walk around in black and white all day ;)

FYI - I take bee pollen in pill form in the spring and fall because I have terrible seasonal allergies. That, combined with local honey, really seems to help me. Maybe it's all in my head, but I'll take psychosomatic help over real-life allergy attacks.

ETA: As far as supplements, I take Animal Pak as my daily multivitamin.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I personally don't take anything. Kind of bypasses the point of getting your nutrition from your diet.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

there is lactose-free milk. same as regular milk, just without lactose.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

there is lactose-free milk. same as regular milk, just without lactose.

Shhh...can't be just giving away secrets like that.
  • JSA17
    JSA17 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    is this a trap?

You look amazing!

Are you talking about Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet? I read that book twice and I still don't understand why she says to take bee pollen, wheat germ, buckwheat, etc.... BUT I DID lose weight (this was a few years ago). I lost nearly 30lbs in one month just by following her "rules" and exercising for 30mins 3 times per week.
  • comm1t_1984
    Options
    I personally don't take anything. Kind of bypasses the point of getting your nutrition from your diet.

I guess that was kind of my question - I know people that live on supplements, and every time I try something, it sets me back. I've heard a lot about Bee Pollen, so I was interested. I am unable to take fish oil, as I end up having horrible mood swings with it. Not sure why and it really confuses my doctor, but we have pinpointed that as the cause.
  • comm1t_1984
    Options
    Are you talking about Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet? I read that book twice and I still don't understand why she says to take bee pollen, wheat germ, buckwheat, etc.... BUT I DID lose weight (this was a few years ago). I lost nearly 30lbs in one month just by following her "rules" and exercising for 30mins 3 times per week.

I am talking about one of her books - the recharged book. I'm not through with it yet - hopefully this week. I use flax seed, and don't mind adding some things to what I eat, as I know there are benefits...I just don't want to be taking a ton of supplements.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I've never taken bee pollen.

I use high quality supplements for specific needs. I take things like B12 & D3 because of deficiencies. I take krill oil & CoQ10.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    is this a trap?

You look amazing!

Oh gosh, thank you! If only I could walk around in black and white all day ;)

FYI - I take bee pollen in pill form in the spring and fall because I have terrible seasonal allergies. That, combined with local honey, really seems to help me. Maybe it's all in my head, but I'll take psychosomatic help over real-life allergy attacks.

ETA: As far as supplements, I take Animal Pak as my daily multivitamin.

Honey from local bees is known to help with preventing illnesses, like the flu, too. It is not all in your head.
  • somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I take bee pollen supplied from a local apiary for my allergies. They were horrendous starting at the beginning of May, abd by the end of May had completely subsided. Plus I like the tast of it and I like it in my green tea, so regardless of whether it really works or not I think I would eat it anyways.

Edit: I also supplement with Vitamin d 1000 IU daily at the direction of my physician. I had really super low levels, most likely due to the stupid cloudy climate here. Vitamin D is really difficult to obtain from food sources, milk is just about the only thing fortified with it, so if you don't like it or choose not to drink it it's pretty hard to get enough in your diet, and if you do it's still not as good as getting it from natural sunlight. I was drinking/eating 3-4 servings of dairy a day when I was diagnosed with vitamin d deficiency. As a side note, vitamin D is found in raw mushrooms so throw a few on your salad or incorporate more mushrooms in your diet. I also supplement with fish oil for my bad hips and dry eyes, both at the direction of my doctor.