Calling all "Clean Eaters"

Replies

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    OP, regarding your title. While your net may have been caste to catch some mackrel methinks you shall accidentally catch a shark, a whale, and quite possibly a tiger.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    I'm currently transitioning to a whole foods, plant based diet and I take
    -D3 (drs orders because I've been deficient for years)
    -B12 just started this because I cut out meat: taking it once a week
    -woman's multi-vitamin: I'm now eating the healthiest I ever have with daily green smoothies, whole grains, minimal processed foods etc etc and decided to track my nutrients on another site (since mfp doesn't do this grrr). I was surprised to be really low for iron, zinc and calcium. So for now I'm taking the multi-vitamin with the goal of going off of it sooner than later as I figure out how to get those nutrients from my food.
    -flax seed in my green smoothies and sometimes chia seeds. I'm also getting ready to order nutritional yeast :)

No bee pollen, but local honey is great for allergies (has to be local, from your area).

Iron deficiency is not uncommon, and your calcium deficiency makes sense in light of your Vitamin D deficiency (Vitamin D helps the absorption of Calcium, that's why milk is fortified with Vitamin D). I assume you also don't really eat a lot of meat to begin with (before transitioning to plant-based), and really probably don't eat red meat, which would explain the Zinc deficiency (5 of the top 10 Zinc-containing foods are animal products - http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/zinc.php ). Like Iron, the Zinc in animal products is more biologically available than the Zinc in plants, too, which doesn't help your cause.

I'm actually transitioning from a three month experiment with primal eating-ie lots of meat/red meat (I had a steak almost every day). I've only been meat free for a couple weeks :) I don't know if I'm deficient in zinc and such-I just entered the foods I am now eating into a site that tracks nutrients and my new way of eating was low in zinc, calcium and iron. But, my body is probably good on those nutrients for now-I'll make sure to get tested at my next doctor's visit next spring to double check. Until then I'm going to experiment with different foods to get the nutrients and then taking the multi-vitamin as back up :)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    -woman's multi-vitamin: I'm now eating the healthiest I ever have with daily green smoothies, whole grains, minimal processed foods etc etc and decided to track my nutrients on another site (since mfp doesn't do this grrr). I was surprised to be really low for iron, zinc and calcium. So for now I'm taking the multi-vitamin with the goal of going off of it sooner than later as I figure out how to get those nutrients from my food.
    -flax seed in my green smoothies and sometimes chia seeds. I'm also getting ready to order nutritional yeast :)

No bee pollen, but local honey is great for allergies (has to be local, from your area).

Iron deficiency is not uncommon, and your calcium deficiency makes sense in light of your Vitamin D deficiency (Vitamin D helps the absorption of Calcium, that's why milk is fortified with Vitamin D). I assume you also don't really eat a lot of meat to begin with (before transitioning to plant-based), and really probably don't eat red meat, which would explain the Zinc deficiency (5 of the top 10 Zinc-containing foods are animal products - http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/zinc.php ). Like Iron, the Zinc in animal products is more biologically available than the Zinc in plants, too, which doesn't help your cause.

I'm actually transitioning from a three month experiment with primal eating-ie lots of meat/red meat (I had a steak almost every day). I've only been meat free for a couple weeks :) I don't know if I'm deficient in zinc and such-I just entered the foods I am now eating into a site that tracks nutrients and my new way of eating was low in zinc, calcium and iron. But, my body is probably good on those nutrients for now-I'll make sure to get tested at my next doctor's visit next spring to double check. Until then I'm going to experiment with different foods to get the nutrients and then taking the multi-vitamin as back up :)

Looking at your zinc intake on a food tracking website is not a valid method for determining if you are deficient in zinc.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Anyone seen the King of the Hill episode where Dale is selling "bee stings" to rich idiots?
  • SJVZEE

Looking at your zinc intake on a food tracking website is not a valid method for determining if you are deficient in zinc.

I was just going by what sparkspeople has as daily requirements -I will get blood work done next time I'm at the doctor to check my levels of the different nutrients :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member

Ah, so the diet is lacking. Again, still not much of a surprise.

It's pretty common knowledge that Iron tends to be on the lower side in a plant-based diet (the fewer animal products, the more you have to make sure you eat a lot of the high-iron plants). Not impossible, but the most bioavailable sources are from animal products, so you have to pay a little more attention to what you're eating to make sure you're eating enough of the Iron-containing plant sources to meet your needs. Additionally, make sure you're eating something high in Vitamin C and low in Calcium, to ensure best absorption (Vitamin C helps absorption of non-heme iron, Calcium inhibits it).

Calcium will be lacking in any diet that doesn't include dairy, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. All the calcium in the world doesn't mean much if you have absorption issues and/or are deficient in the vitamins and minerals that help calcium absorption. Whether you do anything about this one kind of depends on where your magnesium levels are (magnesium aids calcium absorption).

Dietary Vitamin D is only found in small quantities in foods, particularly D3. Portabella mushrooms are a good source of Vitamin D2 if they've been exposed to UV light. Vitamin D3 is primarily obtained from fatty fish, beef liver, and eggs. So, while you may be able to supplement your Vitamin D with food and/or supplements, the sun should be your primary source. Assuming no liver or kidney issues, you should be able to get adequate Vitamin D in about 5-10 (light-skinned) or 15-20 (dark-skinned) minutes a day of midday sun, depending on how close to the equator you are.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    I personally don't take anything. Kind of bypasses the point of getting your nutrition from your diet.

Our food supply is toxic and we don't have the nutrients in our food and water supply that we used to have. In addition, many herbs can be used for medicinal uses instead of prescription meds that have all kinds of additives.

I've read about bee pollen! Seems like amazing stuff! I thought about it for my son for his seasonal allergies. Too bad our pesticides are killing these pollinators. :(

I take chlorella, feverfew for headaches daily, calcium, and vitamin B. Elderberry and garlic for colds. Redmonds clay in my smoothies for magnesium. I think that's all. I too make some medicinal tinctures too.

I forgot! I also take cordyceps everyday for my immune system and I swear by it! I've been kinda sickly in the past and I think it's because my body can't handle stress. I had shingles, strep and colds that lasted weeks, even with being a pretty healthy eater. Once I started supplementing and gave it about a month, I felt a ton better and have had one cold in the past year!

30sj19s.gif
  • lauraleighsm
    lauraleighsm Posts: 167
    Why do people come on here to just slam clean eating? Go to the pop tart threads and eat some high fructose syrup and food coloring and claim to be healthy. Rolls eyes.
  • jonnythan
    Why do people come on here to just slam clean eating?

People don't come to bash clean eating, they come to bash nonsense absurdist alarmist false statements like "our food supply is toxic."
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Why do people come on here to just slam clean eating?

People don't come to bash clean eating, they come to bash nonsense absurdist alarmist false statements like "our food supply is toxic."

THIS
  • tmpecus78
    Why do people come on here to just slam clean eating? Go to the pop tart threads and eat some high fructose syrup and food coloring and claim to be healthy. Rolls eyes.

eh now I love pop-tarts :sad:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member

Because we find comments like that very entertaining and incredibly devoid of thought
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    is this a trap?

Hahaha... I'm in.
  • tmpecus78
    Because we find comments like that very entertaining and incredibly devoid of thought

exactly! When I tell people I cut down to 6.5% body fat eating pop tarts and bacon daily the look on their face is priceless.
  • lauraleighsm
    lauraleighsm Posts: 167
    I'm sorry, but you're ignorant about our food supply. After being diagnosed with cancer you're given a list of ingredients to avoid and encouraged to limit processed food. This isn't brain surgery. There are tons of nonbiased resources available to learn about additives. Or keep the blinders on.

Go feed your kids a lunchable. Mine are eating real food.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    I'm sorry, but you're ignorant about our food supply. After being diagnosed with cancer you're given a list of ingredients to avoid and encouraged to limit processed food. This isn't brain surgery. There are tons of nonbiased resources available to learn about additives. Or keep the blinders on.

After being diagnosed with celiac, you're given instructions not to eat anything containing gluten...

...but that doesn't mean it's the same advice you'd give someone without celiac.

After being diagnosed with diabetes, you're given special instructions on carbohydrates...

....but that doesn't mean it's the same advice you'd give someone without diabetes.

(Oh, wait...hmmm...)
  • jonnythan

One of my friends was diagnosed with a peanut allergy. She was told to explicitly avoid anything containing, or potentially containing, peanuts or traces of peanut.

Peanuts are therefore toxic. Or keep the blinders on.

Also: another "clean eater" who says a bunch of common food is "toxic"........ yet has a closed diary. Makes you wonder.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member

I prefer to get my information from peer reviewed scientific studies which are available on sources such as pubmed, but keep relying on the internet scare sites for your "research." As for the list of foods you are not supposed to eat during chemo, it includes raw veggies and fruit, and the primary concerns are e coli and salmonella contamination because of a patient's compromised immune system, and to avoid interaction with the chemotherapy drugs. That's not exactly a list of foods to avoid for maximum health. Please educate yourself before repeating pseudoscientific clap trap.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member

It's on the internet, it must be true.

1346130650403_6086456.png
  • SJVZEE

Ah, so the diet is lacking. Again, still not much of a surprise.

It's pretty common knowledge that Iron tends to be on the lower side in a plant-based diet (the fewer animal products, the more you have to make sure you eat a lot of the high-iron plants). Not impossible, but the most bioavailable sources are from animal products, so you have to pay a little more attention to what you're eating to make sure you're eating enough of the Iron-containing plant sources to meet your needs. Additionally, make sure you're eating something high in Vitamin C and low in Calcium, to ensure best absorption (Vitamin C helps absorption of non-heme iron, Calcium inhibits it).

Calcium will be lacking in any diet that doesn't include dairy, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. All the calcium in the world doesn't mean much if you have absorption issues and/or are deficient in the vitamins and minerals that help calcium absorption. Whether you do anything about this one kind of depends on where your magnesium levels are (magnesium aids calcium absorption).

Dietary Vitamin D is only found in small quantities in foods, particularly D3. Portabella mushrooms are a good source of Vitamin D2 if they've been exposed to UV light. Vitamin D3 is primarily obtained from fatty fish, beef liver, and eggs. So, while you may be able to supplement your Vitamin D with food and/or supplements, the sun should be your primary source. Assuming no liver or kidney issues, you should be able to get adequate Vitamin D in about 5-10 (light-skinned) or 15-20 (dark-skinned) minutes a day of midday sun, depending on how close to the equator you are.

Yes, sorry I wasn't more clear in my original post-the new way of eating for me (whole foods/plant based), is showing up low for the nutrients when I plug it in, not that I'm physically deficient in these things (except for D3, which I have tested deficient at 21 the past three years at least, since I've started getting it tested). Thanks for the info on mushrooms! I love mushrooms but just eat the cheapy button kind-I'll have to look for the portabella ones next time I'm at the store :) The weird thing about the D deficiency is that we have a sailboat and during the spring/summer months I'm on it all the time, as well as daily walking/running. But, even with all the sun exposure I still show deficient with the blood test, even when being tested in the summer. I have started waiting to put sun screen on, 30 minutes after we get out on the boat, to see if that will help and I don't put any on when I walk/run. I'm in MI, so we do have a lot of cloudy days and fall/winter can be very gloomy.

Thanks for the info on iron/calcium! I'm still very new to paying attention to what I'm eating (lost my weight with SAD and IF and only tracked calories), so this is a new world for me :)