Off the sugar and caffeine

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    I have never really understood the whole logic behind people jumping from one column to the other.

Like.. We all know that an over consumption of calories causes weight gain.
    Its very common that the majority of the foods consumed are usually calorie dense foods like carbs and sweets. not Always, but for most people... usually the portion sizes of these foods are the reason. Too big, too often.

Too much of anything isn't good, which is why a calorie goal is probably your greatest asset because you are now working proper portions of food into amounts that aren't causing you to gain weight and that your body can use effectively.

This applies to carbs and this also applies to refined sugar.
    Pretty good chance people arent coming on here with a 1500 calorie goal lets say and baking a cake and thats all their eating. And there is also a pretty good chance that even if you did have refined sugar every single day, its significantly less then what you were most likely consuming before anyway.

And while fruits are definitely better nutritionally.. it is still possible to have both.
    However for whatever reason people seem to go from eating these foods with refined sugar all the sudden to jumping into the "Never eat again cause theyre unhealthy" category..

I kicked type 2 diabetes out of my life and my sugar levels were so out of control i couldn't even afford the insulin i was supposed to be taking.. after losing weight and following a calorie goal, i no longer have diabetes.. i still have fruits when i want them but i still eat refined sugars in the same day because i fit those things into my goal.

I am very healthy, my doctor wrote "WOW!!" on my latest blood work.
    And the reason i am healthy is because my body has less weight, its now able to do all the things it can do normally to process the carbs and sugars i consume, i am already eating much less then i was because of a calorie goal and even still my calorie goal is not just chocolate, sugars and treats.. i meet my macro goals and give my body what it needs, refined sugar in my day isnt going to change that.

Yep, former pre-diabetic here who's now a healthy weight and has normal glucose numbers, and I eat sugar every day (in all of its various forms) :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I can't do coffee in the afternoon or it impacts my sleep. So 3 in the morning (black, no sugar).

But I've cut it out before. At least a week to get it out of my system. Usually I stop drinking it when I'm sick (flu) and then just don't start back up again for a while, so I already feel like *kitten* and don't miss the caffeine.

But I find I like it too much in the morning so I'm going to keep drinking mine.

Short answer, at least a week.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    It's interesting to see how caffeine affects everyone differently-I regularly have a cup of black tea before bed and have no problem falling asleep within a few minutes of going to bed. Maybe I've built up an immunity to it lol.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    I felt super sluggish for a few days and had a massive headache. Once that passed, I felt like I'd tapped into an amazing source of fresh new energy and felt even better than before when I was consuming caffeine and sugar in mass quantities. My conclusion is that your body's natural energy when you treat it right is way better than the spikes and crashes of added energy supplements.
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    It's interesting to see how caffeine affects everyone differently-I regularly have a cup of black tea before bed and have no problem falling asleep within a few minutes of going to bed. Maybe I've built up an immunity to it lol.

This is me too. It's really strange. Coffee in the morning gets me going and gets me pretty wired. I can have espresso before bed and pass out cold. I'm odd. Lol.
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    As for the sugar, I have cut out a lot as well. After the initial "detox" it gets sooooo much better. Your body just needs time to adjust to the changes.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    I'm an insomniac and super sensitive to caffeine, so I get where you're coming from OP. If I have any caffeine after 2pm, I'm up all night. I tried cutting it out completely for a couple of years, and I hated it. I now limit myself to one cup of coffee or tea in the AM, and that seems to be my happy medium.

• Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    @JennyHsavage you do know green tea has caffeine right?
  • JennyHsavage
    JennyHsavage Posts: 123 Member
    Treece68 wrote: »

Every hear of decaf
  • JennyHsavage
    I'm an insomniac and super sensitive to caffeine, so I get where you're coming from OP. If I have any caffeine after 2pm, I'm up all night. I tried cutting it out completely for a couple of years, and I hated it. I now limit myself to one cup of coffee or tea in the AM, and that seems to be my happy medium.

Oh cool sounds good, might give it a bash if this was fails
  • JennyHsavage
    andrea4736 wrote: »

This is me too. It's really strange. Coffee in the morning gets me going and gets me pretty wired. I can have espresso before bed and pass out cold. I'm odd. Lol.
    As for the sugar, I have cut out a lot as well. After the initial "detox" it gets sooooo much better. Your body just needs time to adjust to the changes.

Thanks for the tips
  • JennyHsavage
    jessicapk wrote: »
    I felt super sluggish for a few days and had a massive headache. Once that passed, I felt like I'd tapped into an amazing source of fresh new energy and felt even better than before when I was consuming caffeine and sugar in mass quantities. My conclusion is that your body's natural energy when you treat it right is way better than the spikes and crashes of added energy supplements.

This is the buz I'm looking forward to, I have done both separately and felt great so if I can make it through both even better again :smile: thanks for the positive response
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member

Every hear of decaf

Wow, kind of rude.

Anyway-decaf green tea still contains trace amounts of caffeine. About 2mg per cup.
  • cakemouth1
    cakemouth1 Posts: 6 Member
    I feel your pain. The only time I managed to completely stop caffeine was when I had pneumonia, and was so sick I missed the withdrawal symptoms. Had no sugar for about a month, too. Then I started on small teas form the cafe under my work- he said it was an herbal blend he'd pick up at the restaurant supply store. Skipped it on the weekend, and thought i was going to have a stroke. Monday, I asked to look at his label- and it said BLACK TEA CONCENTRATE. So much for staying off the caffeine. Once that picks back up, so does the sugar. They trigger the cravings in each other. How are you doing with it now? Mornings SUUUUCK without that help. Hope your progress is going ok! :D
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »

Every hear of decaf

Wow, kind of rude.

Anyway-decaf green tea still contains trace amounts of caffeine. About 2mg per cup.

Which is still ~23mg less than fully caffeinated green tea. Dosage matters. Personally, decaf anything in the afternoon or evening doesn't interfere w/ my sleep at all.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member

Cutting out sugar doesn't result in any kind of detox.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    I'm trying to cut back on caffeine. I'm watching my blood pressure so limiting caffeine is beneficial.

I was an all morning/afternoon sipper, plus I'd drink diet soda in the evening. Now I'm limiting to just the morning and diet soda on the weekends. I know I can't eliminate it completely, but I have cut back so it's a win in my book.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited February 2017

Oh cool sounds good, might give it a bash if this was fails

Caffeine only stays in your system for about six hours or so (more or less depending on the individual). Drinking it in the morning shouldn't have any impact on sleep in the evening.
    No need to eliminate it. Just keep it to the am.

My cutoff is 5pm. If I drink caffeine any later than that, I lay awake in bed.

Also, coffee hydrates you as well as water does (it is 99.9% water, after all) so you can still have your glowing skin while drinking coffee.