Off the sugar and caffeine

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    Treece68 wrote: »
    @JennyHsavage you do know green tea has caffeine right?

Every hear of decaf

When you mean decaf green tea, you will reduce confusion if you specify decaf green tea.
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    edited February 2017
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    andrea4736 wrote: »
    As for the sugar, I have cut out a lot as well. After the initial "detox" it gets sooooo much better. Your body just needs time to adjust to the changes.

Cutting out sugar doesn't result in any kind of detox.

That's why it's in quotes. Withdrawal, whatever it is. Cutting it out makes you feel like death for a few days while your body adjusts. I just don't know the right word for it.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    As for the sugar, I have cut out a lot as well. After the initial "detox" it gets sooooo much better. Your body just needs time to adjust to the changes.

That's why it's in quotes. Withdrawal, whatever it is. Cutting it out makes you feel like death for a few days while your body adjusts. I just don't know the right word for it.

There's also no such thing as sugar withdrawal. Cravings for sugar because it's what you like doesn't equate to withdrawal.
    "Keto flu" when going extremely low carb is a real thing but has more to do with low electrolytes.
  • Carlos_421
    There are enough threads on here about "sugar" so I advise you read them.

Regarding caffeine; there is no reason to eliminate it. In fact it is an appetite suppressant and has a mild thermogenic effect so can be beneficial for weight loss.

Good god I wouldn't want to suppress my appetite lol I'd die if I hadn't the energy for the miles I put in

Then is this thread misplaced here in the weight loss forum?
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member

There's also no such thing as sugar withdrawal. Cravings for sugar because it's what you like doesn't equate to withdrawal.
    "Keto flu" when going extremely low carb is a real thing but has more to do with low electrolytes.

There you go. I was saying the same thing just failing miserably at it, lol. You feel like crap for a bit but it goes away. Thank you for the more accurate explanation.
  • JennyHsavage
    JennyHsavage Posts: 123 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I got rid of caffeine a very long time ago. After 3 emergency room trips in one year due to irregular heartbeat and normal EKGs, the docs were tired of seeing me and told me to stop consuming all things that contained caffeine. I did and it was the right choice.

Now, if I someone mistakenly pours me regular coffee instead of decaf, I can really feel it and I don't sleep for a full 24 hours. When you're not used to it anymore, you can really feel the effect of it.

Sugar? No. I'm not strong enough to give up sweets (not talking about fresh fruit obviously). But some folks do it and stick to it in the long term (years) and swear by it.

I only have to look at coffee or anything sugary and I'm wired to the moon so il have to keep it down as much as I can, ps TTC and that isn't helping my sleep when I'm 24/7 worrying
  • reneec257
    reneec257 Posts: 39 Member
    I gave up sugar and caffeine. It took me three days to get over the side effects. Extremely bad headache, but after the third day I was fine and had a whole lot more energy than ever before!
  • Carlos_421
    Op why are you doing this?

Refined sugar isn't healthy and caffeine keeps me awake... that's why

"Refined" sugar is not unhealthy (it's also not really refined). It can be easier than many things to overeat which can lead to a calorie surplus which in turn leads to weight gain.
    Within an otherwise healthy diet and barring any medical conditions, there is no need to worry about added sugar.
  • JennyHsavage

Sugar Can Cause Insulin Resistance, a Stepping Stone Towards Metabolic Syndrome and Diabetes. Insulin is a very important hormone in the body. ... Having too much glucose in the blood is highly toxic and one of the reasons for complications of diabetes, like blindness and the likes. Take it from a girl with a mother on dialyses from diabetes and an uncle who passed away from diabetes in his 40s. Sugar is lethal and something's to be said for how anyone feels when they give it up... u can't compare how healthy u feel
  • JennyHsavage

"Refined" sugar is not unhealthy (it's also not really refined). It can be easier than many things to overeat which can lead to a calorie surplus which in turn leads to weight gain.
    Within an otherwise healthy diet and barring any medical conditions, there is no need to worry about added sugar.

But what's wrong with cutting out something you don't feel good after? I mean like if u are an Indian and it plays havoc with your stomach and skin would u like to quit it? Sugar doesn't agree with me
  • JennyHsavage
    reneec257 wrote: »
    I gave up sugar and caffeine. It took me three days to get over the side effects. Extremely bad headache, but after the third day I was fine and had a whole lot more energy than ever before!
    reneec257 wrote: »

Oh brill... thumbs up girl x well done you x this is what I like to hear. I'm glad it's worked out for you I can't wait to feel like that
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member

But what's wrong with cutting out something you don't feel good after? I mean like if u are an Indian and it plays havoc with your stomach and skin would u like to quit it? Sugar doesn't agree with me

I feel horrible after a normal portion of regular frosted birthday cake and ice cream. Doesn't mean I won't have smaller portions.

I feel sick after a pint (16 oz) of Ben & Jerry's but if I eat a 4 oz mini cup after a dinner with adequate protein, I'm fine.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I wish caffeine gave me energy. I drink coffee because I like the taste. I also can go cold turkey and not get the caffeine withdrawal headaches. I read something the other day that says that for some caffeine has no effect. energy drinks dont do squat for me either.even if I go months without them.Im not right though either lol
  • JennyHsavage

Sugar Can Cause Insulin Resistance, a Stepping Stone Towards Metabolic Syndrome and Diabetes. Insulin is a very important hormone in the body. ... Having too much glucose in the blood is highly toxic and one of the reasons for complications of diabetes, like blindness and the likes. Take it from a girl with a mother on dialyses from diabetes and an uncle who passed away from diabetes in his 40s. Sugar is lethal and something's to be said for how anyone feels when they give it up... u can't compare how healthy u feel

I'm sorry for your family members, but simply being related to people who are ill doesn't give you automatic nutritional expertise.

Sugar isn't lethal, it's in all kinds of foods like fruit, vegetables, and dairy. Maybe you mean added sugar, but that wouldn't explain how your body can tell the difference between the two. How can sugar be lethal when stirred into a bowl of oatmeal but harmless when it's part of an apple?

I'm sorry for your family members, but simply being related to people who are ill doesn't give you automatic nutritional expertise.

Sugar isn't lethal, it's in all kinds of foods like fruit, vegetables, and dairy. Maybe you mean added sugar, but that wouldn't explain how your body can tell the difference between the two. How can sugar be lethal when stirred into a bowl of oatmeal but harmless when it's part of an apple?

Apart from having a roll on tooth decay also
    You can’t really pit the two groups against each other as it would be (sometimes literally) comparing apples to apple juice. The main difference between natural and processed sugars is how each one delivers glucose and fructose. For example, fruits are not just fructose in different shapes. They also contain a pile of nutrients, vitamins, antioxidants and fiber. Whereas your typical table sugar doesn’t.
  • JennyHsavage

No it doesn't. There is no evidence that indicates sugar causes insulin resistance or diabetes.
    Elevated glucose is a symptom of diabetes but symptoms are not causes.
    Chicken pox causes itching but itching doesn't cause chicken pox.

Yes, people with diabetes should limit their intake of sugar but not because it is a lethal substance (it's not). Rather, they have a disease which renders their body incapable of processing the sugar properly. It is the disease which leads to extremely elevated blood glucose levels (and yes, those levels are dangerous).
    However, healthy individuals (non-diabetics) can eat all the sugar they want and their body will respond appropriately to begin processing/metabolizing the resulting glucose so that elevated blood glucose levels do not occur.

Diabetes has three known causes/risk factors:
    Genetics
    Obesity
    Sedentary lifestyle

Diabetes means you can't be careless with sugar.
    Sugar does not mean you'll get diabetes.

As for the claim that sugar is lethal, it is actually vital to life, so much so that if you don't consume enough in your diet your liver will produce it to keep you alive because you literally cannot function without it.

Nothing wrong with cutting out foods you don't enjoy.
    But making false claims about their impact on health is silly.

What's good for yourself... sorry if it was a sore subject for you