Is reading a Profile that hard?

Options

Replies

• pbrahan
    pbrahan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don't see the problem. Not everyone reads a profile. You can accept or decline the request. What you can't do is control what other people do.

^^^ This!
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is posted in the right place or not... I get a couple friend requests a day. In my profile i request a note why you want to be friends etc or i will Not accept. You dont know me or anything about what got me here etc and you want to be my friend? I keep my profile accesable for that very reason. I dont know why its so hard to read a profile first. Am i being unreasonable in this request?

Ok end of rant lol

Probably has something to do with the fact that you're topless, grasping your breasts with your hands with a big grin on your face, in your profile picture.

I seriously doubt that since i only JUST made that picture last night and have been on MFP a year. P.s ....the grin is because i came so far when i never ever thought i could /would...
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start sending blank friend request to each poster here. Every day.
    Followed by junk pics to those who accept........
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

LOL, no one sends me junk pics. I'll have to post junk right here!

pile-of-garbage.jpg~original
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I rarely read profiles. But I also don't get butthurt if I get declined. I never send a fr to someone unless we have interacted in some way in a forum somewhere and I pretty much know what I'm getting. I rarely add a message to a fr either. No, I'm not gonna read the profile, no I'm not gonna add a message, and no I don't care if you decline.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    WOW - I hate to sound so - well - confrontational, but why would it bother you to get a friend request? When I see a post by someone on a message board that was supportive and encouraging, I usually send a friend request. It's off putting to me to get a reply of "If you don't mind my asking, why did you request me as a friend?" I usually just move on because frankly, I don't want to connect with someone who thinks like that.
    I enjoy the interaction and support I find here on MFP. It's motivating to log on and see in my news feed how someone just lost a pound or hit a new goal. You can only do that if you are connected to others on your same journey.

It's not the fr that bothers me. I welcome fr anytime. And I would like to think that I am supportive of each and everyone of my friends. The thing is, I don't need you to write an essay on why you want to be my friend. All I want is to know that you didn't just randomly click on my profile and add me. Without a MSG, for all I know, you could have sent a fr to me by mistake. It's the effort and the action of sending me a MSG that make me think you care at all to be my friend. I am not even that picky, even a "Hi, I saw your post just now and would like to be your friend" is enough. Like, I said, it's the initiative that counts.

^^ She had me at "ice cream". Aaaand, don't pick on Dessertlover27...She's one of the good ones!
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Probably has something to do with the fact that you're topless, grasping your breasts with your hands with a big grin on your face, in your profile picture.

I seriously doubt that since i only JUST made that picture last night and have been on MFP a year. P.s ....the grin is because i came so far when i never ever thought i could /would...

I just want to say that you should not feel like you have to rationalize your profile pics to anyone. And, it bums me out that you felt the need to change your profile pic, due to this douche bag comment! If your photo symbolizes something you are proud of (or, even if it doesn't), just rock it and be proud! Who cares what anybody else thinks? Just do YOU!!! :smile:
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I usually accept. But I give them about a week. If they don't interact, I delete them. I'm not into collecting friends. It's getting really hard for me to keep up with everyone on my FL now.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Tat2dDom0105 Posts: 661
    Options
    A lot of people use the mobile app where profile information isn't displayed.

This
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Might be a literacy issue...not everyone believes "reading is fundamental".

8488541.png
  • dessertlover27
    dessertlover27 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    WOW - I hate to sound so - well - confrontational, but why would it bother you to get a friend request? When I see a post by someone on a message board that was supportive and encouraging, I usually send a friend request. It's off putting to me to get a reply of "If you don't mind my asking, why did you request me as a friend?" I usually just move on because frankly, I don't want to connect with someone who thinks like that.
    I enjoy the interaction and support I find here on MFP. It's motivating to log on and see in my news feed how someone just lost a pound or hit a new goal. You can only do that if you are connected to others on your same journey.

It's not the fr that bothers me. I welcome fr anytime. And I would like to think that I am supportive of each and everyone of my friends. The thing is, I don't need you to write an essay on why you want to be my friend. All I want is to know that you didn't just randomly click on my profile and add me. Without a MSG, for all I know, you could have sent a fr to me by mistake. It's the effort and the action of sending me a MSG that make me think you care at all to be my friend. I am not even that picky, even a "Hi, I saw your post just now and would like to be your friend" is enough. Like, I said, it's the initiative that counts.

^^ She had me at "ice cream". Aaaand, don't pick on Dessertlover27...She's one of the good ones!

Aww, thanks for being on my side. I :heart: you even more than ever.

As for people using the mobile app, how did they find me in the first place? Assuming if we have no mutual friends. Because I have a lot of these frs. No MSGs, no mutual friends, closed profiles.
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    If someone sends me a FR with no note, not even a Hi I'm
    saw your profile or read a post etc, I look at their profile to see if we are compatible, but if the profile is blocked or contains no info on them then I send a nice note asking them to tell me about themselves and how they chose me! Also I tend to talk a lot! lol so if ya friend me you better be prepared to see me in your feed! lol
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    When I use the mobile app, I can't see profiles. Maybe that's why?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Who are you to expect me to read what you wrote?!? :angry:
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    A lot of people use the mobile app where profile information isn't displayed.

This
    Yep. If they have shared friends I give them the benefit of the doubt that they found me through the app from a friend's wall post. Otherwise, nope.
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    I'm high maintenance and expect a note. My crazy doesn't come free, I need woo'd with words. :laugh:
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I always write a message, whether requested or not. On the flip side, my app seldom allows me to read messages that come with requests, so I decline the obvious pro-ana names or under 18s, and accept all the rest, but sometimes only long enough to read their wall and go 'Nah!'
  • CheekyBrahette
    CheekyBrahette Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    If I FR a person I always include a message, but that's just me, and usually that person has other mutual friends in common. For the most part my profile is private, so people can't see a disclaimer even if I had one. Even then I only accept FR from other women, and automatically decline FR from men, message or not.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I am new here and I have to say I don't really understand the point of "friends" ? on other forums I am on being someone's "friend" doesn't really mean anything other than you have a collection of easily view-able profile pictures. Is it really different here?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start sending blank friend request to each poster here. Every day.
    Followed by junk pics to those who accept........
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

In for junk pics.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Meh. I don't have rules for friend requests, I usually just accept (though I typically won't if there's no profile pic) and give it some time to see if we're compatible.

I wouldn't make the cut if I sent you a request since my profile is set to private. But I would never change that setting for people like you that virtually demand it. So.