6000+ Valentines Misery Binge From Hell

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    After a big meal some people don’t eat again until they feel hungry, but I don’t think most people who do this are eating 6,000 calories. Even so, that might be a good thing to do because your body simply can’t process that many calories in a short amount of time and dumping more on top of it is pointless. On the bright side, some of that food will pass through your digestive system undigested. There’s no way to know how many calories that will account for until everything gets back to normal and you can see the damage on the bathroom scale.
    Aside from that, once you start feeling hungry again, I would suggest going back to your normal eating. At worst, you’ve gained a pound or two and you’ll lose it in a week or two if you eat at a deficit.

• NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    If you eat at a slightly smaller deficit for the next week or two, you will eventually offset whatever overeating you did yesterday; after all, it was one day I woudn't do anything too drastic though, it might inspire another binge if you are feeling constantly hungry. Maybe just try to come in 100-150 calories below your MFP target for 7-10 days to see what happens. BTW, you do realize that you have multiple listings for the same food, yes? For instance, you have 4 slices almond flax bread listed 2x, as well as the soft-serve ice cream. If you really did have a total of 8 slices of that bread, you can leave it alone, If you really only had 4, please do go in & clean up the entries for the day. You might be pleasantly surprised at how much it drops. I think that bread was 430 calories alone.

Even if you did have a 4600 calorie day, and you know why, I suggest setting yourself up with a plan for next time. Next time you are having a blood draw that might make you dizzy, bring a healthy snack & a bottle of water so you can refuel immediately with something that won't damage your efforts. And drink some extras fluids before the draw as well - low blood pressure might have caused the dizziness instead of hunger.

Now for the dessert buffet at work - geeze Louise, it sounds kind of ridiculous, but for any buffet I walk the length of it to scope out what looks good & what doesn't, and only get small servings of what looks FANTASTIC to me. I don't waste calories on meh food if I can help it. If you can employ a similar strategy, you should be able to enjoy the buffet without going completely overboard. Great job tracking a tough day, and hope you get back on track quickly.
  • chriseema
    chriseema Posts: 19 Member
    NEOHgirl wrote: »
    If you eat at a slightly smaller deficit for the next week or two, you will eventually offset whatever overeating you did yesterday; after all, it was one day I woudn't do anything too drastic though, it might inspire another binge if you are feeling constantly hungry. Maybe just try to come in 100-150 calories below your MFP target for 7-10 days to see what happens. BTW, you do realize that you have multiple listings for the same food, yes? For instance, you have 4 slices almond flax bread listed 2x, as well as the soft-serve ice cream. If you really did have a total of 8 slices of that bread, you can leave it alone, If you really only had 4, please do go in & clean up the entries for the day. You might be pleasantly surprised at how much it drops. I think that bread was 430 calories alone.

Even if you did have a 4600 calorie day, and you know why, I suggest setting yourself up with a plan for next time. Next time you are having a blood draw that might make you dizzy, bring a healthy snack & a bottle of water so you can refuel immediately with something that won't damage your efforts. And drink some extras fluids before the draw as well - low blood pressure might have caused the dizziness instead of hunger.

Now for the dessert buffet at work - geeze Louise, it sounds kind of ridiculous, but for any buffet I walk the length of it to scope out what looks good & what doesn't, and only get small servings of what looks FANTASTIC to me. I don't waste calories on meh food if I can help it. If you can employ a similar strategy, you should be able to enjoy the buffet without going completely overboard. Great job tracking a tough day, and hope you get back on track quickly.

I am NEVER hungry because I have anemia, this is why I binge. I literally do not have hunger cues... sometimes I cry cause I want to be a "normal person" who even has the hunger desire to binge, but I don't... I do it cause I'm dizzy. Also ... yes I know there's two breads on purpose. I did everything on purpose there...
  • chriseema
    chriseema wrote: »
    I actually wrote the wrong number for simplicity, correct number is above BUT I added the extra calories I had from a previous binge last week if that makes sense

Not really? What has what you ate last week got to do with your binge yesterday?

Because calories overeaten are built up over time which leads to weight gain, bud. I understand that concept and am trying to figure out the science of how long it takes to gain after ANOTHER binge in the same 8 day span.

I am mad cause I tried to take everyone's advice and eat lunch but all it did was give me extreme cramps and now I'm hunched over at work in the bathroom crying. Please stop telling me to eat, I'm NOT HUNGRY.

God, I just want to know the science behind how many days it takes to gain weight.

People have poor reading comprehension.
    Please everyone stop with the dumb "keep eating" comments. I'm not hungry right now.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Eleniala wrote: »
    It doesn't answer your question, but...it looks like you started your day trying to restrict sugar (all sugar free/no sugar added/unsweetened stuff), and then later in the day you massively binged on sweets. It might help if you allow yourself small amounts of sugar/sweets throughout the day so that you are less tempted to binge later on. I suspect that if you had had a couple of pieces of chocolate earlier in the day you would not have binged on a tub of frosting. (I have a sweet tooth myself, so I know how hard it is).
    Eleniala wrote: »
    It doesn't answer your question, but...it looks like you started your day trying to restrict sugar (all sugar free/no sugar added/unsweetened stuff), and then later in the day you massively binged on sweets. It might help if you allow yourself small amounts of sugar/sweets throughout the day so that you are less tempted to binge later on. I suspect that if you had had a couple of pieces of chocolate earlier in the day you would not have binged on a tub of frosting. (I have a sweet tooth myself, so I know how hard it is).

I've started my day with sweets and ate them all day. It depends on the person I guess.
  • RoxanaNorthey
    RoxanaNorthey Posts: 1 Member
    ^ I'm in no way a professional, but if you're not hungry then don't push yourself - keep hydrated and when you can stomach it start light - maybe similar to how you would look after yourself in the way you would after a stomach bug.

But I agree with others, it's great you logged everything and held yourself accountable. You're certainly not on your own with the occasional binge. It's not always easy overriding those cravings or ignoring a free treat table at work.

It will settle and you'll feel better in a day or so. I wrote in a notebook when I've binged and make sure I include how I feel emotionally and physically. Then the next time I feel like giving in i can read it back and it helps me rethink. The only thing is I don't always remember to bring the book everywhere with me, which is a mini goal of mine as I often get tempted at work in the late afternoon....

Really hope you feel better soon xx
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member

I am NEVER hungry because I have anemia, this is why I binge. I literally do not have hunger cues... sometimes I cry cause I want to be a "normal person" who even has the hunger desire to binge, but I don't... I do it cause I'm dizzy. Also ... yes I know there's two breads on purpose. I did everything on purpose there...

How often do you binge?
  • chriseema
    leejoyce31 wrote: »

How often do you binge?

I binge every few weeks, at least this month. Usually once a month, but this past month I overate by 1600 one week and then bunged. I go thru anemic phases with blood issues my doc won't help me with. I got 12 blood tests last week. No period. She says I'm fine and I can't keep paying $1500 for these dumb tests -_- I'm just anemic and being dizzy freaks me out and makes me binge
  • chriseema
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Because calories overeaten are built up over time which leads to weight gain, bud. I understand that concept and am trying to figure out the science of how long it takes to gain after ANOTHER binge in the same 8 day span.

I am mad cause I tried to take everyone's advice and eat lunch but all it did was give me extreme cramps and now I'm hunched over at work in the bathroom crying. Please stop telling me to eat, I'm NOT HUNGRY.

God, I just want to know the science behind how many days it takes to gain weight.

Please everyone stop with the dumb "keep eating" comments. I'm not hungry right now.

My dear fellow MFP user.

Your post cries desperately for answers that are beyond what you actually ate or didn't eat.

The answer you seek is not in how long after eating 1800 or 4000 calories the calories may or may not become fat, and what percentage of them becomes waste, water weight, lean mass, or fat.

The answer you need to address is WHY YOU ARE FEELING THIS CRUMMY RIGHT NOW!

I know you think it has to do with how much you ate; but, I am sorry to say that I don't think so :confounded:

People eat a lot more, or a bit less from time to time. And they gain weight and lose weight. And the event is usually NOT debilitating enough to have them feeling miserable and crying in a bathroom.

You do need to sort some of this out and a counsellor might be able to help you do so. Do you have an employee and family assistance program at work? That or your family doctor's office might be able to get you started.

As to your weight gain or loss whether you gained 0, 0.25, 0.5, or 1lb yesterday... what do you think the effect of this will be a year later? The correct answer is NONE and that you should continue with your normal MFP program neither restricting more nor modifying anything. This assumes a person who can tell whether their tummy is physically full of undigested food at which point it might not be a great idea to add some more. If you don't have that ability, I don't know how to advise you other than to urge you to contact your doctor.

PS: I too think it is awesome you recorded what you ate. So many people don't and lose some of the most valuable data they can gather.

Re: please see other post above about my literal anemia. I can't keep going to the docs. And I WAS just looking for an answer about weight gain. I know why I feel like crap.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    I am saying this in all seriousness - if you can, find another doctor. If she has diagnosed you with anemia, there are treatments. Does she have you on any supplements? I was able to treat mine with OTC iron and B-complex supplements, but a friend's elderly mom had to get a prescription-level iron supplement to treat her anemia. Is there something other than binge-eating that you can do when you re feeling dizzy, even if it's just something small you can do with your hands or breathing until the feeling passes?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I actually wrote the wrong number for simplicity, correct number is above BUT I added the extra calories I had from a previous binge last week if that makes sense

Not really? What has what you ate last week got to do with your binge yesterday?

Ok...so what is your net position calorie wise relative to your theoretical maintenance. That would be your best guestimate, but what you're asking is pretty much impossible for people to tell you...there will be some increase due to more inherent waste in your system as well as water weight and bloat (which is likely more the cause of your discomfort).

I didn't really see anyone say to just keep eating...I saw people say to "move on"...as in that it happened, just move on...but I also agree with others that if this is a frequent thing, you might want to look into addressing the underlying reason(s).

People's reading comprehension skills are just fine...you're asking for a very specific and firm answer, and that just doesn't exist.

Good luck...
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member

I'm trying to understand. You over ate yesterday to try to cure your dizziness? Can you talk about the thought process behind your choices of food? I'm wondering why you reached for an entire can of frosting as opposed to a sandwich or something ( or heck, even just a few spoonfuls of frosting) if the sole point was to get something in your system to stop the dizziness?
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    solieco1 wrote: »
    The best advice I can give said with love is forget the calories and work on what caused the binge. xoxo

This is a lifestyle. This is a marathon. This is not a Sprint. Sprints are what I cal Yo-Yo diets; you lose it, you stop, you re-gain it. This is a take everyday by itself. If you gain this week, you know why, focus on being better, use it as motivation and move on. Now if there was a reason for the Binge, or it is a regular then that is its own issue. One slip every so often, not a big deal over the course of a marathon.

As far as the follow-up questions - that might be a question for a professional, because if you are Binging semi-regularly, or even never hungry, then that sounds like a question for someone more knowledgeable than you are going to find on Discussion Board.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Have you ever considered treatment for binge eating disorder?
  • sky_northern
    sky_northern Posts: 119 Member
    Please stop telling me to eat, I'm NOT HUNGRY.
    Um, you say you are never hungry so not being hungry seem normal for you? If you not feeling well, it's ok to skip a meal, but you seem to be overacting a bit.

Ok, settle down, no one is saying eat, eat, eat. They are trying to help you with the why of your binge.

Gaining fat is more about calories over time, but what you gain from your binge is hard to say. There will be fat gain and water weight gain. Just give it time to settle down eating normally or maybe 100 calories under (but your daily is low, so I wouldn't go more than 100 under). I would work on the why so it doesn't occur so frequently.

• DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    So that was yesterday, right? It's in the past. You have no control over yesterday, but you do have control over what's left of today and tomorrow etc. Work on that.