6000+ Valentines Misery Binge From Hell

Options

Replies

• grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    You need to find a new doctor. Anemia is very treatable, there is no reason for you to continue to feel bad and you shouldn't have to have 12 blood tests in a week. I'm not sure why you would think a half a tub of frosting would stop you from feeling dizzy. What you eat isn't going to stop your symptoms from being anemic, only the correct medication is going to do that.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    When I eat a lot of sugar, I get very bloated. You may find yourself weighing a few pounds more for a few days, and certainly feeling a few pounds bigger, but not actually have gained more than a pound in reality.

Gorging on sugar to counteract dizziness is likely to make you more dizzy in the end, as your blood sugar rises and then crashes. I assume you've been tested for hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia? You would do better to eat something that is not as high glycemic, so your blood sugar doesn't go up and down as quickly.

I'll second the suggestion that you see another doctor who will help you treat your anemia. I understand that they probably want to understand why you are anemic, and thus are doing a lot of tests, but if it is affecting you as badly as you say, it's time to think about actually treating the anemia.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    OP how much do you weigh? Unless you are confusing bmr and tdee, a tdee of 1450 suggests your weight is around 95lbs (underweight for your height) if you are sedentary (and less if you are active). If that is the case your posts here raise a number of red flags...
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Also: That connection between "dizziness" and "needing to binge" is a mental connection that you made at some point, not a physiological need. At some point you experienced a situation where it made you feel physically better, you connected the sensations and now you'er conditioned to think that.
    That connection *can* be broken. Maybe via therapy?
  • chriseema
    chriseema Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    leajas1 wrote: »
    chriseema wrote: »
    NEOHgirl wrote: »
    If you eat at a slightly smaller deficit for the next week or two, you will eventually offset whatever overeating you did yesterday; after all, it was one day I woudn't do anything too drastic though, it might inspire another binge if you are feeling constantly hungry. Maybe just try to come in 100-150 calories below your MFP target for 7-10 days to see what happens. BTW, you do realize that you have multiple listings for the same food, yes? For instance, you have 4 slices almond flax bread listed 2x, as well as the soft-serve ice cream. If you really did have a total of 8 slices of that bread, you can leave it alone, If you really only had 4, please do go in & clean up the entries for the day. You might be pleasantly surprised at how much it drops. I think that bread was 430 calories alone.

Even if you did have a 4600 calorie day, and you know why, I suggest setting yourself up with a plan for next time. Next time you are having a blood draw that might make you dizzy, bring a healthy snack & a bottle of water so you can refuel immediately with something that won't damage your efforts. And drink some extras fluids before the draw as well - low blood pressure might have caused the dizziness instead of hunger.

Now for the dessert buffet at work - geeze Louise, it sounds kind of ridiculous, but for any buffet I walk the length of it to scope out what looks good & what doesn't, and only get small servings of what looks FANTASTIC to me. I don't waste calories on meh food if I can help it. If you can employ a similar strategy, you should be able to enjoy the buffet without going completely overboard. Great job tracking a tough day, and hope you get back on track quickly.

I am NEVER hungry because I have anemia, this is why I binge. I literally do not have hunger cues... sometimes I cry cause I want to be a "normal person" who even has the hunger desire to binge, but I don't... I do it cause I'm dizzy. Also ... yes I know there's two breads on purpose. I did everything on purpose there...

I'm trying to understand. You over ate yesterday to try to cure your dizziness? Can you talk about the thought process behind your choices of food? I'm wondering why you reached for an entire can of frosting as opposed to a sandwich or something ( or heck, even just a few spoonfuls of frosting) if the sole point was to get something in your system to stop the dizziness?
    Yes, because if I am dizzy I assume I'm hungry but without "feeling hunger." Then I say screw it and keep going.
    Have you ever considered treatment for binge eating disorder?
    Obviously yes. It doesn't help. I've tried therapy and mentioned this in another quote I think.
    misskarne wrote: »
    want to know if a slight restriction will cause me to not gain a lb. when I gain that extra roll, I can't focus on my work since I am so physically uncomfortable in my clothes
    Wait till I find out how to upload this roll... you'll see I'm not distoredx
    I just noticed this and am more than a little concerned about your distorted view of weight. A single pound gained is not going to lead to "an extra roll" and should not make you "so physically uncomfortable" in your clothes...
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    OP how much do you weigh? Unless you are confusing bmr and tdee, a tdee of 1450 suggests your weight is around 95lbs (underweight for your height) if you are sedentary (and less if you are active). If that is the case your posts here raise a number of red flags...
    125by51 wrote: »
    I'm also anemic and have been for pretty much my whole life. I take OTC iron supplements to keep it under control. If you lack iron to the point that you are feeling dizzy, eat something high in iron. I don't understand your logic of eating all those super sugary foods. No one needs to help you with your anemia, you can take care of that yourself.

It seems, from my perspective, that you are using your anemia as an excuse to binge on stuff that does absolutely nothing to help or counter your anemia. Just the opposite in fact. Messing with your blood sugar to that degree is probably the source of your dizzy spells. Sugar high, sugar crash, sugar high, sugar crash.

Take iron supplements. If you feel dizzy, eat something high in iron. And as others have said, you should look into some counselling or therapy for disordered eating. To make the leap from 'dizzy' to 'eat a tub of frosting' is some pretty major mental gymnastics.

• chriseema
    Options
    I'm 22, female, 5'1, and my tdee is 1450. Had it tested by a doctor... here is my fat roll. I weigh roughly 115 lbs. 0q10wkws4ecy.jpg
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Are you sure the dizziness is because of anemia?

Since you say your doctor is not doing anything for you, what are you doing to deal with your anemia yourself? There are lots of iron supplements out there to choose from, or there is the option of high iron foods. I am sure a quick google would give you are substantial list.
  • chriseema
    Options
    Are you sure the dizziness is because of anemia?

Since you say your doctor is not doing anything for you, what are you doing to deal with your anemia yourself? There are lots of iron supplements out there to choose from, or there is the option of high iron foods. I am sure a quick google would give you are substantial list.

I have not had red meat since 2nd grade so I might try red meat
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    You are smack dab in the middle of normal bmi (BMI=22) This suggests that you perhaps have less lean mass on you than the "numbers" would make us believe. When you restrict calories sharply and/or do not eat enough protein in a deficit, excess lean mass is sometimes lost.

TDEE is TOTAL **DAILY** ENERGY EXPENDITURE

You doctor CANNOT DIRECTLY TEST your TDEE unless they put you in a chamber for a WHOLE DAY.

A doctor CAN test your BMR/RMR and make a PREDICTION about your TDEE by multiplying BMR by an activity factor based on your general activity level.

BMR/RMR testing to establish your resting metabolism is a much shorter test.

A BMR or RMR of 1450 is actually higher than your predicted base bmr of about 1219

So.
    Either 1450 is your BMR/RMR test result and you have a higher base metabolism than expected.

Or 1450 is your measured RMR multiplied by 1.2 (which is a common activity factor for sedentary) in which case your tested BMR was 1208, about 11 Cal lower than the 1219 predicted by the formulas for 5ft 1", 22yo F, 115lbs, and well within the margin of test error.

BUT NO ONE KNOWS WHETHER YOUR ACTIVITY FACTOR REALLY IS 1.2.
    You call yourself sedentary.
    But are you?

sedentary at 1.2 means someone who does NOT engage in more than 30 minutes of physical activity a day. once you've walked more than 3000 steps in a day, or engaged in more than 30 minutes of non sitting activity... you've gone beyond an activity factor of 1.2.

Anyway. All this really doesn't address anything.

The part that concerns nearly everyone here is how you view yourself and the degree of self uncomfortableness than you seem to be showing.

No one loses weight without the occasional re-gain. Weight loss is not linear etc etc etc.

Your inability to not fly off the handle when *kitten* happens? A little bit concerning.

Having said that, weight loss involves loss of both fat and lean mass.

At BMI of 22 you may want to discuss with someone in real life what your plans ought to be.

How much exercise and in particular strength training activities do you engage in?
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of calories to eat I don't blame you for using the restroom a lot. But none of us can truly say how much weight you will gain. Op almost everyone has far rollls when they sit down :-| nothing to be worried about continue with your cardio and strength training if you're working out. Also you're at a HEALTHY weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I actually wrote the wrong number for simplicity, correct number is above BUT I added the extra calories I had from a previous binge last week if that makes sense

Not really? What has what you ate last week got to do with your binge yesterday?

Because calories overeaten are built up over time which leads to weight gain, bud. I understand that concept and am trying to figure out the science of how long it takes to gain after ANOTHER binge in the same 8 day span.

I am mad cause I tried to take everyone's advice and eat lunch but all it did was give me extreme cramps and now I'm hunched over at work in the bathroom crying. Please stop telling me to eat, I'm NOT HUNGRY.

God, I just want to know the science behind how many days it takes to gain weight.

People have poor reading comprehension.
    Please everyone stop with the dumb "keep eating" comments. I'm not hungry right now.

That's a lot of calories in on day, and it's making you ill. Your eating behavior, and the mind games you are playing on yourself around food, sounds like an eating disorder. I suggest you contact a new doctor and ask for a referral to a dietitian and/or eating disorder program.

By the way--there is nothing wrong with anyone's reading comprehension, but we're all just a bunch of internet strangers who don't know you. That's why you need to speak with your healthcare team.

Good luck.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    Options
    If you are getting cramps from eating a normal sized meal, there may be something else wrong. Perhaps you need to push for a consult with a gastroenterologist to eliminate stomach issues. As I said earlier, are you sure your dizziness is because of anemia or could you have something causing a blood pressure drop or an inner ear issue? Dizziness is not something to be ignored.
  • joaniebalonie088
    joaniebalonie088 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The OP obviously isn't asking anyone to give advice on what the -real- problem is, and is instead asking for someone to answer an unanswerable question: how much will the binge affect the scale, and what will be the time frame?

Sorry, that is impossible to know.

I hope you realize everyone is just trying to be helpful in ways that we -can- help (i.e., trying to help you figure out why this is happening, and how to avoid it in future). Best of luck.
  • chriseema
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    You are smack dab in the middle of normal bmi (BMI=22) This suggests that you perhaps have less lean mass on you than the "numbers" would make us believe. When you restrict calories sharply and/or do not eat enough protein in a deficit, excess lean mass is sometimes lost.

TDEE is TOTAL **DAILY** ENERGY EXPENDITURE

You doctor CANNOT DIRECTLY TEST your TDEE unless they put you in a chamber for a WHOLE DAY.

A doctor CAN test your BMR/RMR and make a PREDICTION about your TDEE by multiplying BMR by an activity factor based on your general activity level.

BMR/RMR testing to establish your resting metabolism is a much shorter test.

A BMR or RMR of 1450 is actually higher than your predicted base bmr of about 1219

So.
    Either 1450 is your BMR/RMR test result and you have a higher base metabolism than expected.

Or 1450 is your measured RMR multiplied by 1.2 (which is a common activity factor for sedentary) in which case your tested BMR was 1208, about 11 Cal lower than the 1219 predicted by the formulas for 5ft 1", 22yo F, 115lbs, and well within the margin of test error.

BUT NO ONE KNOWS WHETHER YOUR ACTIVITY FACTOR REALLY IS 1.2.
    You call yourself sedentary.
    But are you?

sedentary at 1.2 means someone who does NOT engage in more than 30 minutes of physical activity a day. once you've walked more than 3000 steps in a day, or engaged in more than 30 minutes of non sitting activity... you've gone beyond an activity factor of 1.2.

Anyway. All this really doesn't address anything.

The part that concerns nearly everyone here is how you view yourself and the degree of self uncomfortableness than you seem to be showing.

No one loses weight without the occasional re-gain. Weight loss is not linear etc etc etc.

Your inability to not fly off the handle when *kitten* happens? A little bit concerning.

Having said that, weight loss involves loss of both fat and lean mass.

At BMI of 22 you may want to discuss with someone in real life what your plans ought to be.

How much exercise and in particular strength training activities do you engage in?

I sit at a desk all day and use Microsoft word. I then go back to my car and go to sleep. I truly don't do any physical activity. I work 12 hours a day and live in a literal 200 sq ft apartment. Not making excuses, just answering your question.
  • chriseema
    Options
    The OP obviously isn't asking anyone to give advice on what the -real- problem is, and is instead asking for someone to answer an unanswerable question: how much will the binge affect the scale, and what will be the time frame?

Sorry, that is impossible to know.

I hope you realize everyone is just trying to be helpful in ways that we -can- help (i.e., trying to help you figure out why this is happening, and how to avoid it in future). Best of luck.

Well then I guess everyone can stop answering now because after seeing 5 therapists for eating disorders they all say I don't meet the criteria and I don't care to keep analyzing "why" when I told you all I get dizzy and it makes me nervous so I binge. Why keep asking me the same freaking question. If no one can answer the weight question, then I'm done with this thread. Thanks for all the help.