Pre workout drinks?

Options
13»

Replies

• shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I don't really take a pre workout (mainly because I drink diet dew through the day), but I do have a protein shake and occasionally gummy bears.

Sour Patch Kids > Gummi bears. Just saying. ;)

You just had to go there. Now my mouth is puckering up and I am having flashbacks to high school where I OD'd on those damn SPK. I can't get the taste out of my mouth now and I haven't even touched them in years.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    shor0814 wrote: »
    I don't really take a pre workout (mainly because I drink diet dew through the day), but I do have a protein shake and occasionally gummy bears.

You just had to go there. Now my mouth is puckering up and I am having flashbacks to high school where I OD'd on those damn SPK. I can't get the taste out of my mouth now and I haven't even touched them in years.

I have 60 grams weighed out and bagged up for my workout this afternoon. ;)
  • shor0814
    Options

If you make me relapse you are paying for my detox.
  • Nightfly01
    Nightfly01 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    What are some good pre workouts? I tried a sample pack of 5150 Richard Piana green apple this morning & thought it was great... A lot of caffeine though but gave me endurance and a great pump. Needed more for tomorrow & couldn't find it without ordering it. Ended up getting Muscle Techs Shatter black onyx - anyone tried it? Has less caffeine in it & I'm hopeful it works as well... BTW I have a high caffeine tolerance & would not recommend either of these to anyone who doesn't
    What are some good pre workouts? I tried a sample pack of 5150 Richard Piana green apple this morning & thought it was great... A lot of caffeine though but gave me endurance and a great pump. Needed more for tomorrow & couldn't find it without ordering it. Ended up getting Muscle Techs Shatter black onyx - anyone tried it? Has less caffeine in it & I'm hopeful it works as well... BTW I have a high caffeine tolerance & would not recommend either of these to anyone who doesn't

I can't have a wife and kids and spend money on pre workouts. Caffeine works for me and some good music. I have read that whey protein is necessary and creatine a second. No need to get fancy and pay a lot.
  • quiksylver296
    Options

I'll pay in SPK. :D
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

Jelly beans > sour patch kids > gummi bears

No way. Unless they are Starburst jelly beans or Jelly Bellys. And even then, Sour Patch Kids win.

Best of both worlds... jelly belly energy beans.

And swedish fish > sour patch.
  • shor0814
    Options

I'll pay in SPK. :D

You aren't helping here!
  • quiksylver296
    edited February 2017
    Options

Jelly beans > sour patch kids > gummi bears

No way. Unless they are Starburst jelly beans or Jelly Bellys. And even then, Sour Patch Kids win.

Best of both worlds... jelly belly energy beans.

And swedish fish > sour patch.

Ew. You're weird. :D

That reminds me. I have a box of energy beans in the back of the pantry. I used them when I was training for a half-marathon. They have a weird Gatorade-y taste, but I should probably use them up.
  • getupforchange
    getupforchange Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I used to force it down but I really struggle with fake flavours... I can't stand fake synthetic fruit flavours (I can't drink lemsip for that very same reason). I used to have a blackcurrant flavoured one that I could just about keep down if I added lots of ice cubes to it so that it was freezing cold, but in the end it wasn't really worth it for me. The effect wasn't good enough for me to keep using it. I would feel so nauseous from the taste that it would put me off going to the gym more than anything haha!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people that the supplement companies love as I've pretty much always taken some kind of supplements. I really like Hemavol and mix that with Creatine and Beta Alanine. I can't take any of the good stuff with Caffeine Anhydrous-that stuff just doesn't agree with me.
    SR1986 wrote: »
    Anyone do post workout drinks? I often feel like I could down an entire bottle of Pedialyte after.

Chocolate Milk.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    SR1986 wrote: »
    I do coffee in the morning, crystal light with caffeine or great value energy drink mix in the afternoon . During the summer, I prep batches of cold brew and make coffee protein smoothies with frizen banana

Walmart has an energy drink mix?! Why didn't anyone tell me! All the money spent mixing my own...

I don't think it's a "Walmart" brand, but I've used one - MuscleTech, maybe? It's ok. My squat and deadlift training has sucked since I ran out, although my bench has seemed fine. I figured I didn't need it, because I didn't think it was doing anything, so I didn't buy more when I ran out. I'm considering getting back on it and seeing how things go.
  • ItsAllMental819
    ItsAllMental819 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. I see there are those that hate, love, or are indifferent on pre workouts - I will be trying several recommended products & might even try the coffee protein smoothie... Even though I can't stand coffee.