Puppy Pics for people that like puppy pics

Options

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    kace_kay wrote: »
    Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with dog fights? I was walking Ruby on a leash when a pit decided to escape his collar and his muzzle and charge us. He refused to back down or listen to his owner. It took what seemed like forever to break him off her so we could get away. I felt helpless, I had no idea how to handle the situation. I tried to find some protocols to deal with this but came up with a lot of impractical suggestions. Anyone here have some insight?

Ugh its a really crap situation to have to deal with. I dont really have any great advice. If it was a small dog I would pick it up and if the other dog keeps charging kick them in the face when they get close enough. I am guessing your dog is too big for that. Some people (i hear this from runners mostly) carry pepper spray for dogs, but if you have your dog w you i would hesitate to use it and hit my dog. I guess if it were me I would just keep kicking the other dog until they let go. At least your foot has a shoe on that is hopefully more bite proof than your hands would be.

Interested so hear if someone else has better ideas.

Is your pup ok?

I read online about the pepper spray and considered buying some. Although my clumsy self would probably get it in my eyes :lol: Ruby is good, just some marks on her neck but no broken skin, I made her wear a bandana and that covered a lot of her neck. :)

Glad she is ok. Make sure to pay attention next time she is around other dogs, even ones she has done well with before, sometimes encounters like that change how they feel about other dogs.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    _barefoot_ wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    lpsqvdoaafw9.jpg

My girl Madison as a puppy. I had to drop her off at the vet this morning, she has a shoulder/leg injury not getting any better, at ripe ole age of 14 I can only hope no surgery and if so she makes a full recovery. <3

Well guys and gals, I have a diagnosis of Maddi's leg issue and she has Osteosarcoma (bone cancer) in her front left leg. :'( I am trying to keep together as I decide the best course of treatment for her, doc said this cancer always has a secondary tumor somewhere else as it spreads quickly. She had hip dysplasia in both rear legs when she was little, she is already missing supporting bone in rear legs.

Good news is she has pretty pearly whites.. teeth cleaned and minty fresh! :) I will be making a decision very soon, but will celebrating her life with me and spend every waking moment with her possible. <3

((( Hugs ))) :'(:/

Thanks girl!!! <3<3
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    lpsqvdoaafw9.jpg

My girl Madison as a puppy. I had to drop her off at the vet this morning, she has a shoulder/leg injury not getting any better, at ripe ole age of 14 I can only hope no surgery and if so she makes a full recovery. <3

Well guys and gals, I have a diagnosis of Maddi's leg issue and she has Osteosarcoma (bone cancer) in her front left leg. :'( I am trying to keep together as I decide the best course of treatment for her, doc said this cancer always has a secondary tumor somewhere else as it spreads quickly. She had hip dysplasia in both rear legs when she was little, she is already missing supporting bone in rear legs.

Good news is she has pretty pearly whites.. teeth cleaned and minty fresh! :) I will be making a decision very soon, but will celebrating her life with me and spend every waking moment with her possible. <3

Awwww poor babe! Sending love to you both!

Thanks so much. <3<3 Support here is awesome!!
  • MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with dog fights? I was walking Ruby on a leash when a pit decided to escape his collar and his muzzle and charge us. He refused to back down or listen to his owner. It took what seemed like forever to break him off her so we could get away. I felt helpless, I had no idea how to handle the situation. I tried to find some protocols to deal with this but came up with a lot of impractical suggestions. Anyone here have some insight?

I don't have much for specific suggestions, but have looked into this myself. It appears as though distraction/startling the dogs is the primary way to safely discontinue a dog fight. An air horn (pointed away from ears) was one example I found. Once the dogs "get into" the fight mode, it is dangerous to engage at all, even to attempt to disengage. They are not in a mode to recognize or think about what's going on -- just making snap decisions.

Hope your furbaby is OK.

Edit: Just realized there was another page of responses. Sorry about the redundancy.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options

Im sorry Kace you and Ruby had to deal with that.
    My best friends hub had a similar experience. He was lucky in that Poppy their dog is chihuahua mix so he could pick her up but he got significant damage to his calf muscle as the attacking dog tried to get Poppy.
    The first thing they did was report the attack.
    Imagine what it could do to a small dog. Poor Ruby must be traumatised.
    I agree its the owner who needs to be held accountable.
  • slimgirljo15
    edited February 2018
    Options

Im sorry Kace you and Ruby had to deal with that.
    My best friends hub had a similar experience. He was lucky in that Poppy their dog is chihuahua mix so he could pick her up but he got significant damage to his calf muscle as the attacking dog tried to get Poppy.
    The first thing they did was report the attack.
    Imagine what it could do to a small dog. Poor Ruby must be traumatised.
    I agree its the owner who needs to be held accountable.

Omg your poor friend! That's so terrible to hear. :worried: there are many irresponsible pet owners. When I researched suggestions on what to do, there were so many awful attack stories in the comments. Very scary how much it happens. Ruby is good, although she was growling/barking at 2 rotties today (who were being really good dogs, too... so embarrassing). Gotta nip that in the bud!

It is all too common Kace.. and as owner of small dogs one of my biggest worries.
    Poor Corey lost 2 months off work and 10 months later still has problems from skingrafts.
    The muscle was almost torn off. Sorry for the graphic image, but tbh I had no idea prior, I used to think when I hear someone was bitten by a dog I just thought puncture marks.. not the case , it really made me realise how dangerous an uncontrolled dog can be.
    I hope you never run into that dog again ..
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    lpsqvdoaafw9.jpg

I'm sorry, I've gone through something like this before with one of my dogs. :'(
  • cee134
    Options

I don't have much for specific suggestions, but have looked into this myself. It appears as though distraction/startling the dogs is the primary way to safely discontinue a dog fight. An air horn (pointed away from ears) was one example I found. Once the dogs "get into" the fight mode, it is dangerous to engage at all, even to attempt to disengage. They are not in a mode to recognize or think about what's going on -- just making snap decisions.

Hope your furbaby is OK.

Edit: Just realized there was another page of responses. Sorry about the redundancy.

Not redundant, thanks for responding :smile: I like the idea of the fog horn. It seems like it would backfire less than the pepper spray example. I wouldn't wanna do something that may redirect their aggression onto me. It was definitely scary to see them in action.

Try a vacuum cleaner then.
  • cee134
    Options
    8czgxm4pjbwx.jpg

• slimgirljo15
    Options
    lpsqvdoaafw9.jpg

Aww Im so sorry for this sad news .. hugs