Halo Top...how the heck do they do it???

Options

Replies

• happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I just tried it the other day for the first time because I couldn't find it on my part of town. My coworker bought me some Sea Salt Caramel - It is Friggin Delicious!!! I can't wait to get my hands on the other flavors. And I'm normally a cheap skate - but I will pay $6 a pint! Ice cream is my weakness
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm such a sucker for Halo, especially when it's on sale for $2.88 at the Shoprite by me. Oatmeal is by far my favorite followed by pistachio and mint chip.

I'm waiting for them to get that low again. I'm all out from the last sale :(
    I'm thankful that ice cream is not one of my favorites. Or at least, I can go a long time without it! I have seen Halo Top at our Kroger, but have resisted so far.

I'm actually not that much of an ice cream person (I like it but can live without the stuff) but a pint of chocolate Halo Top softened kills my chocolate mousse cravings too. And I'm less likely to go for cookies or chocolate after a pint of the stuff.

It's probably because I'm not a huge ice cream person that I enjoy it that much actually.. I have no interest in Breyer/Friendly's or other kind of ice cream anymore actually because I don't think it's worth the calories at all anymore - Halo Top is better and has better macros!
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am so sad. I was investigating Halo Top earlier this week - looking at reviews, flavours, etc., only to discover we don't have it here in the Republic of Ireland. Sad, sad, sad day...I love Ben and Jerry's but it f'n kills my daily calories cause like a pint is 1 serving...right??? Right?!
  • sweetage123
    sweetage123 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    A microwaved Fiber One brownie with some birthday cake/vanilla/s'more/etc Halo Top is my go-to guilt free dessert B)
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is the absolute absolute best. I have 2 pints a week (1/2 a pint almost every day). Which yes, at 5$ a pint truly sucks but it's fantastic for my waist line and my sweet tooth. And here, it is the same price as B&J's so I'll take the 240 calorie pint vs the 900 calorie pint. The macros in it are great too! I wish I knew how they did it but I don't care. Just don't take away my chocolate "ice cream".
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    _Phill727 wrote: »
    I'm a food engineer and worked for Haagen Daz for years.
    Halo Top uses Erythritol, a natural sugar alcohol from corn. No proven medical side-affects "yet"
    But its application in food is still early.
    The price confuses me, it's basically milk with butterfat removed and whey added. But hey, people are buying it!

I have had it and enjoy it but a little pricey for me. Sorry if I bursted any bubbles!

I had a coupon for a free pint of Enlightened, which also uses the sugar alcohol Erythritol. I bought the mint chocolate chip and it wasn't bad. Does not compare to Haagen Daz or B&J, but for the calories, not bad.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Wadeeee wrote: »
    jeanne460 wrote: »
    There's a birthday cake flavor that literally tastes like birthday cake. I let it soften for a few minutes before I eat it.

This is the flavor I've been searching for, week after week, but it's always sold out. I'm almost to the point that I would jump someone in the parking lot for the last pint. ;)

Ask the manager what day it gets delivered ;)
  • metalmeow1
    metalmeow1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I just eat normal ice cream. Whatever sounds good.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Obsessed with Red Velvet and Cookie Dough
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Everyone... friend me! Half my statuses are about Halo Top. :D

Btw, not a Birthday Cake fan OR a Peanut Butter Cup fan! The peanut butter tasted too much like PB2 to me.

I LOVE Red Velvet!
  • hannat5017
    hannat5017 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Halo top is amazing need to go buy more this weekend. I usually split the pints into 2 servings and have 1 a weekend just cause they are so spendy.
    Cake batter was really good but made me sick...Probably shouldn't have eaten the whole pint.
    Lemon cake very Meh
    Peanut butter cup and red velvet are my go to flavors both are amazingly delight! Totally satisfy my ice cream cravings!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I have a really stressful job that makes me just spend whatever I want on whatever I want...I have lost so much money to halo top. I have been eating obscene amounts the past few weeks. Of course my new boyfriend guy just texted to say they have it at his store too...ay
  • whoffmann
    whoffmann Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    OK, first Halo Top experience this weekend - not bad! Ralph's had Buy 5 for $3.49 each, so I did that. Red Velvet, Chocolate, Chocolate Almond Crunch, Oatmeal Cookie, Black Cherry. I've tried the first three.

- Red Velvet - LOVE - this seems like real ice cream - taste, mouth feel, even scooping. Relatively high in calories for Halo Top, but still 1/2 of the full-fat stuff.
    - Chocolate - like - great chocolate flavor, but has a mouth feel reminiscent of astronaut ice cream (for whoever remembers that). But not to an extreme - I would eat this again.
    - Chocolate Almond Crunch - yuck - Doesn't have a discernable chocolate flavor. The almonds are fine. But nothing else redeeming.

General impression: the containers are so light! Compared to Haagen Dazs, which my wife loves. But a serving (1/4 container) is still satisfying.

Looking forward to trying the non-chocolate options. And I MUST find the chocolate peanut butter - that is my favorite flavor of ice cream in general. I'll try Pavilions.

Thanks for the recommendations - after trying Arctic Zero, I was skeptical, but Halo Top is actually great.
  • srosenthal1225
    srosenthal1225 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Lemon Cake..the 2 most beautiful words I know...
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Wasn't impressed with Mint Chip, maybe because mint chocolate chip is my favorite ice cream flavor? Perhaps I'd have better luck with something completely different. It tasted a bit harsh and 'off' to me for some reason. I don't normally consume foods with stevia or sugar alcohol. Maybe that's why.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Go watch the Seinfeld episode on frozen yogurt.
  • need2belean
    Options
    The most amazing thing happened to me today.

My Kroger has Halo Top on sale for $3.99/pint, AND they're offering it as a part of their "Buy 5, Save $5" promotion ( basically, you but any 5 participating items and get $5.00 deducted from your total at checkout), AND I had 5 $1.00 off coupons to use on them. So I got five pints of Halo Top for $9.95 today, before tax.

I'm allowed to hate you right? :)
  • need2belean
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Wasn't impressed with Mint Chip, maybe because mint chocolate chip is my favorite ice cream flavor? Perhaps I'd have better luck with something completely different. It tasted a bit harsh and 'off' to me for some reason. I don't normally consume foods with stevia or sugar alcohol. Maybe that's why.

I thought the mint was Wayyy too overpowering. Almost as if they put an extra 1/4teaspoon of extract in that little pint. Which, if you've ever added peppermint extract to anything, you know if you had just a drop too much it's wayy overpowering.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Yeah I tossed the Mint Chip - and the Birthday Cake. Blech.