Halo Top...how the heck do they do it???

Replies

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    For awhile I had to drive half an hour to Whole Foods to get anything besides vanilla and they've got it at $7/pint. Now my local grocery carries almost as many flavors for half that. Hurray! Still haven't gotten to try the cherry flavor.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    kavahni wrote: »
    It is interesting to me, how many of you say that you buy a pint and then you eat the entire thing. The most prominent sweetener in this is erythritol. It is not really good stuff. And, one of the bad things about it, is that it keeps your brain from registering satiation, so you just keep eating it. It is also known to cause gastric problems like diarrhea constipation and bloating, and also can cause headaches. Just be cautious, OK?

I've never eaten a whole pint at once, the $12 price tag per tub stops that.. Plus 200g is pleny enough for me.

As for the stomach issues. I have a cast iron gut, nothing gives me a dodgy tummy.

$12? I only pay $5 for mine!

I'm in Australia, just about everything is over double the price than in America. I've scaled it down to 100g a serve, and mix cottage cheese in with the halo top (Chocolate) , so now i get around 3 serves per tub, rather than 2. I can't afford $6 per bowl for icecream!

I wish we had this Halo ice cream in Australia :(:(:(

Oh wait, I am sure we will get it....in about 10 years time.

@domeofstars we can get Halotop here. Woolies is starting to get it in, in some states. I'm down South, and get mine from Foodland, our Woolies is getting it in soon.

It's $10 in Woolworths and $12 in Foodland.

You can find a list of stockists here: https://www.halotop.com.au/

Thank you very much! Excited to try
  • AnnS2011
    AnnS2011 Posts: 8 Member
    Loved them all except mint chocolate.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    edited April 2017
    My Walmart started carrying all the flavors so I finally shelled out the $5 and got the Salted Caramel. It was so good I ate the whole pint, there was absolutely no stopping me :D I thought it tasted amazing and now every time I go to Walmart I have to visit the Halo Top section and I just stand there and drool, and debate, and drool some more. But! I just can't justify the price so drooling and then walking away with allllll my willpower what I do now haha!

I tried the chocolate Artic zero awhile back and thought it was disgusting, tasted like chalky protein powder, NOTHING like Halo Top.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    So I'm having my third pint of vanilla and I don't think I will buy that flavor again. First pint was great, second pint tasted artificial, this one takes has a bit of a 'burning' aftertaste and has a chalky texture (even melted down a little as I usually do). I'm not really surprised if people try this out and don't like it, to be honest.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    I stocked up on Halo Top today. Chocolate Almond Crunch, Pistachio, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Peanut Butter Cup, Oatmeal Cookie, S'mores and Cookies and Cream. And two boxes of Enlightened bars (they don't have pints available around here yet) - Frozen Hot Cocoa and Cold Brew Coffee Chip.
  • domeofstars
    Two kinds of halo ice cream they had were unavailable. Awwwwwww! I am dying to try this stuff
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Two kinds of halo ice cream they had were unavailable. Awwwwwww! I am dying to try this stuff

Aahh that sucks! I hope you didn't buy the Fropro that's in your pic! That stuff tastes terrible, like ice flakes with a bit chocolate type flavour mixed through.

• domeofstars

Aahh that sucks! I hope you didn't buy the Fropro that's in your pic! That stuff tastes terrible, like ice flakes with a bit chocolate type flavour mixed through.

Haha no i didn't, I thought about it though. Just went to the second closest supermarket near me that is supposed to stock halo top and they didn't have it, but tomorrow i will be going to a third supermarket that is supposed to have it. I am determined to try it lol

• Christine_72

Haha no i didn't, I thought about it though. Just went to the second closest supermarket near me that is supposed to stock halo top and they didn't have it, but tomorrow i will be going to a third supermarket that is supposed to have it. I am determined to try it lol

I'd be calling first of i were you. There's a few shops that are listed on halotops site as stockists, but when i rang them they hadn't even heard of it :(

• domeofstars
    edited April 2017

I'd be calling first of i were you. There's a few shops that are listed on halotops site as stockists, but when i rang them they hadn't even heard of it :(

Yep i did ring the first shop but the phone rang and rang and nobody picked up. May ring the third shop tomorrow but I will be in the area tomorrow anyway for an appointment so if no one picks up the phone when I ring i may still pop in. Its strange that the shops hadn't even heard of it when they're listed as stockists. How frustrating
  • domeofstars
    @Christine_72 they are clearly having supply issues as the third supermarket i went to was out of stock of halo ice cream lol.
  • Christine_72
    @Christine_72 they are clearly having supply issues as the third supermarket i went to was out of stock of halo ice cream lol.

Oh Crap! I've got a tiny bit left in my tub, was going to restock on Thursday. The woman that deals with the halotop rep in my store is very chummy with her, and seems to know everything related to Halotop! I'll quiz her on this and let you know what she says.
  • CrystalRoseMeow
    CrystalRoseMeow Posts: 24 Member
    I like the basics. It's hard to beat the chocolate that is super low in calories and tastes just like a Wendy's frosty. I generally speaking avoid dairy because it tears my stomach up but I keep a pint of the chocolate buried in my freezer for a rare treat.
  • Christine_72
    edited May 2017
    @domeofstars I found out the delay is due to halotop repackaging for our Australian stores, once that happens it should be a steady flow again.

I bought the last 3 tubs of the chocolate flavour from my store yesterday. Nearly $34 for 3 tiny tubs of ice cream, it's flippan highway robbery!! :rage:

Now I'm on a mission to get them to bring more flavours in, other than the plain/boring ones available now. I so desperately want to try the peanut butter cup.
  • domeofstars
    @domeofstars I found out the delay is due to halotop repackaging for our Australian stores, once that happens it should be a steady flow again.

I bought the last 3 tubs of the chocolate flavour from my store yesterday. Nearly $34 for 3 tiny tubs of ice cream, it's flippan highway robbery!! :rage:

Now I'm on a mission to get them to bring more flavours in, other than the plain/boring ones available now. I so desperately want to try the peanut butter cup.

@Christine_72 thanks for letting me know. I will be checking the woolies that is closest to me periodically for halo supplies, but won't be holding my breath in case it takes ages. I usually do all of my shopping at coles because I am a flybuys member and get quite good deals out of that
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member

I just can't imagine. I usually buy it on sale for about $5.40 Australian (converted from US dollars) and just cannot begin to imagine that being the only price available Eek.
  • kimie54
    kimie54 Posts: 24 Member
    Too much cholesterol for me.
  • Christine_72

I just can't imagine. I usually buy it on sale for about $5.40 Australian (converted from US dollars) and just cannot begin to imagine that being the only price available Eek.

There's no other comparable product here, it seems they can charge what they want! I'd imagine the shipping cost plays a big part.. maybe.