Halo Top...how the heck do they do it???

Options

Replies

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    _Phill727 wrote: »
    I'm a food engineer and worked for Haagen Daz for years.
    Halo Top uses Erythritol, a natural sugar alcohol from corn. No proven medical side-affects "yet"
    But its application in food is still early.
    The price confuses me, it's basically milk with butterfat removed and whey added. But hey, people are buying it!

I have had it and enjoy it but a little pricey for me. Sorry if I bursted any bubbles!

Certainly not. I was already aware of the ingredients - checked that out before I ever tried it. ;) I actually am ordering some erythritol to try in baking. It does not seem to bother my stomach at all, so if it works in baked goods, there will be some sweet treats in my future. :p But it is pricey stuff. Hopefully the price will go down in time.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Halo Top uses Erythritol, a natural sugar alcohol from corn. No proven medical side-affects "yet"
    The price confuses me, it's basically milk with butterfat removed and whey added. But hey, people are buying it!

I have had it and enjoy it but a little pricey for me. Sorry if I bursted any bubbles!

Some sugar alcohols irritate my IBS, has anyone had an issue with halo top causing IBS issues?

I have IBS...but constipation. I can't tell if halo top is messing with it or not. I have it even when I'm not eating it.

Funny you say this. I told my husband this morning that if I have halo top for dessert and then drink my tbs of ACV before bed, I am going to the bathroom in the morning. Like bathroom, bathroom. I know people hate on ACV and I certainly don't drink it every day. But, IMO it helps me with digestion. My husband just told me it's my version of coffee since a lot of people drink coffee to help go to the bathroom in the morning. My version just tastes a whole lot better (in regards to the halo top, not the ACV).
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    cmtigger wrote: »

Some sugar alcohols irritate my IBS, has anyone had an issue with halo top causing IBS issues?

I have IBS...but constipation. I can't tell if halo top is messing with it or not. I have it even when I'm not eating it.

Funny you say this. I told my husband this morning that if I have halo top for dessert and then drink my tbs of ACV before bed, I am going to the bathroom in the morning. Like bathroom, bathroom. I know people hate on ACV and I certainly don't drink it every day. But, IMO it helps me with digestion. My husband just told me it's my version of coffee since a lot of people drink coffee to help go to the bathroom in the morning. My version just tastes a whole lot better (in regards to the halo top, not the ACV).

Interesting...I can't imagine ACV would do much for me. I can drink a bottle of magnesium citrate, take laxatives, drink a pot of coffee...nothing. People are actually shocked by how big my stomach looks and kids at school as if I'm pregnant. Jealous!
  • whoffmann
    whoffmann Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Two more flavors tried:

- Black Cherry - not bad, but not terribly exciting. Similar to the chocolate in texture, obviously a different flavor.
    - Oatmeal Cookie - Nice flavor. It genuinely has oatmeal in it. Whole pieces of oatmeal. Some people may like this, but I found them to be like little dry platelets. Took away more than they added.

In general, though, I am satisfied! The Red Velvet, which is the highest in fat, is my favorite, as it the most creamy. Then chocolate, which has great flavor even though it's a little dry in texture.

Still, I am counting myself a fan for now...many more flavors to try, and I MUST find Chocolate Peanut Butter...
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Finally bought my first Halo Top last night. Wanted the oatmeal cookie but that was out so I got the chocolate almond crunch. I'm not a big ice cream fan to begin with, so I was hesitant (and a bit sticker shocked that I actually paid $6.50 for a tiny tub of ice cream). But wow. This stuff is awesome! I only ate around 1/2 cup of it and it was a great way to end the day. Already looking forward to it tonight lol. Will definitely be buying again-want to try the pistachio and the oatmeal cookie yet.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the salted caramel. I save it for weekends however because of the cost. It is usually 4.99 where I buy it.

I like the oatmeal cookie also. I baked oatmeal cookies and tried making an oatmeal sandwich with it but my ice cream melted too quickly and I ended up with oatmeal mush...still tasted good but a bit messy to eat.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,594 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    My favorite is the salted caramel. I save it for weekends however because of the cost. It is usually 4.99 where I buy it.

I like the oatmeal cookie also. I baked oatmeal cookies and tried making an oatmeal sandwich with it but my ice cream melted too quickly and I ended up with oatmeal mush...still tasted good but a bit messy to eat.

Oatmeal cookie wasn't exactly my favorite but now the thought of broken up oatmeal cookies mixed in is perking me right up.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    So far the only flavor I've tried is the Mint Chip and while a little overpowering, it's damn good in my opinion. I just bought a pint of chocolate and I'll try that after dinner tonight.

Also bought a pint of Cake Batter Arctic Zero...not a fan
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Wadeeee wrote: »

After a delicious crab cake dinner that evening, I decided to dive into the pint.

I was kind of skimming and initially thought it was crab cake flavored ice cream.

But yeah, Halo Top is amazing.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Found the salted caramel this week. Holy moly, that's definitely the best one I've tried so far.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm totally trying the Salted Caramel as soon as I can find it!
  • ActivatedAlm0nds
    ActivatedAlm0nds Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Also bought a pint of Cake Batter Arctic Zero...not a fan
    That's the norm for just about all AZ pints.

Halo Top has a birthday cake flavor that's pretty good. I admittedly was a little disappointed by their cookie dough, not enough mixins or my liking. I'll stick to portion control if I want cookie dough ice cream.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    My local Walmart finally started carrying HT this week, and have all of the flavors. RIP my wallet.

It's hilarious though: two weeks ago, they could barely keep AZ in the freezer. Now? The HT has glaring holes in the stock, and the AZ is completely full all of the time.
  • Krby13
    Krby13 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I really want to try Halo Top now. I usually get the blue bunny mini chocolate swirl cones. They are very good and only about 130 in calories, if memory serves.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I don't like the birthday cake flavor either but I love the salted caramel one. YUM!
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It is interesting to me, how many of you say that you buy a pint and then you eat the entire thing. The most prominent sweetener in this is erythritol. It is not really good stuff. And, one of the bad things about it, is that it keeps your brain from registering satiation, so you just keep eating it. It is also known to cause gastric problems like diarrhea constipation and bloating, and also can cause headaches. Just be cautious, OK?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    kavahni wrote: »
    It is interesting to me, how many of you say that you buy a pint and then you eat the entire thing. The most prominent sweetener in this is erythritol. It is not really good stuff. And, one of the bad things about it, is that it keeps your brain from registering satiation, so you just keep eating it. It is also known to cause gastric problems like diarrhea constipation and bloating, and also can cause headaches. Just be cautious, OK?

I've never eaten a whole pint at once, the $12 price tag per tub stops that.. Plus 200g is pleny enough for me.

As for the stomach issues. I have a cast iron gut, nothing gives me a dodgy tummy.

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    kavahni wrote: »

*Some* people have gastric issues after consuming it. I'm one of the lucky ones, erythritol causes me absolutely zero issues, gastric, headache or otherwise. But I'm guessing most people who have issues with erythritol are going to always double-check the ingredient lists of any new foods they consume.