Are bananas bad for stomach fat?

Options
124»

Replies

• TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing ads about tips to lose tummy fat or foods that are bad for stomach fat or good for losing it and there is often a pic of a bunch of banana's ..it usually leads to somewhere that wants you to buy a book to find out!

Does anyone on here know if they are bad or not as I had been having a banana for breakfast with some probiotic yoghurt but don't know if they are making things worse...as I seem to be struggling to lose from tummy but arms legs, face and neck etc are noticeably thinner.

Any other foods I should be avoiding? or any thats good for losing tummy fat?

I'm already gluten free, low carb and mainly eat chicken and fish with salad or veg, though thinking of going dairy free and maybe vegan or vegetarian to see if that helps.
    I've never seen a fitness-related ad on MFP that wasn't total broscience. I don't know why the site admin sees fit to let such garbage run on their site.

Because advertising - broscience or not - pays the bills. Sadly, as we can tell from some of the responses on this site, some people actually believe them and quote them for a "fact" instead of doing research.
  • deadyankee
    Options
    If you eat just a single banana it is absolutely guaranteed that you will die at some point afterwards
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Ignore all ads that advertise anything weird : "weird tricks" "weird food" etc.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    peanut-butter-jelly-time.gif
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing ads about tips to lose tummy fat or foods that are bad for stomach fat or good for losing it and there is often a pic of a bunch of banana's ..it usually leads to somewhere that wants you to buy a book to find out!

Does anyone on here know if they are bad or not as I had been having a banana for breakfast with some probiotic yoghurt but don't know if they are making things worse...as I seem to be struggling to lose from tummy but arms legs, face and neck etc are noticeably thinner.

Any other foods I should be avoiding? or any thats good for losing tummy fat?

I'm already gluten free, low carb and mainly eat chicken and fish with salad or veg, though thinking of going dairy free and maybe vegan or vegetarian to see if that helps.
    I've never seen a fitness-related ad on MFP that wasn't total broscience. I don't know why the site admin sees fit to let such garbage run on their site.

Because advertising - broscience or not - pays the bills. Sadly, as we can tell from some of the responses on this site, some people actually believe them and quote them for a "fact" instead of doing research.
    Right: advertising that is not broscience would pay the bills just as well. Or maybe better, because people like me would not become so annoyed with them as to install adblock plus specifically to remove all ads from MFP.

And one who operates a site has the ability to filter which ads do or do not appear on their site. So I don't think that is a satisfactory answer to why myfitnesspal chooses to allow total broscience (like that stupid banana thing) to be promoted on ads on their site?
  • jessica82636
    Options
    My husband works with a guy who sees a trainer and his trainer told him to not eat bananas if you are trying to flatten your belly
  • kellymcgregor19741
    Options
    If not eaten in moderation I guess. The thing that I am learning is that everything is bad for you if you eat to much but in moderation there are a lot of things that you can eat.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    My husband works with a guy who sees a trainer and his trainer told him to not eat bananas if you are trying to flatten your belly
    It's conclusive then.........advertising works.
  • happyrelation
    Options
    Every body is different. A pound is 3500 calories. The more muscle you have, the faster you'll burn the fat.
    You need weight training 3 times a week, alternating days. Cardio is fine too.
    You have to eat and burn calories to take you under your maintenance calories. For instance, there are calculators out there to do this...my maintenance is 1800 calories a day. If I were to eat 1500 calories a day, that's 300 calories a day less than what it takes to maintain my body weight. 300 times 7 days is 2100 calories. Not quite a pound. So, let's say my goal is to workout 3 times a week and add cardio 2 times and I burned 1900 calories through that. 1900 plus 2100 is 4000 calories.
    One pound being 3500 calories, I've just lost just over a pound in a week.
    4 1/2 pounds a month times 6 is 27 pounds.
    Plus, people that are very overweight, tend to lose more in the beginning because there's water weight etc. that comes off faster.
    But that's the basic foundation.
    I'm doing a program just for women at http://inshapenow.net. It's amazing with great support from women doing this program or have already succeeded.

Just remember...
    Less calories, build muscle through weights, eat protein and carbs through veggies and fruit. You need fat in your diet, don't cut it all out. There are good fats. Dump the diet sodas, they won't help, and actually have been proven to hurt weight loss.

Good luck
  • Jett_05
    Jett_05 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My favorite post workout food = bananas.

The first place I start loosing inches is my stomach. At 160lbs my waist is down to 28inchs which (for my weight and height) is pretty good.
  • PaperSailship
    PaperSailship Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you eat just a single banana it is absolutely guaranteed that you will die at some point afterwards

Right in the honey-nut feelios.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Yes. They will pack on the stomach fat. It has nothing to do with calories in/calories out. It is bananas that made us fat.

True story. Told by some random advertisement on the internet.
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you eat bananas? It's like you don't even want gains.