Shout out for Jasmin Norman

Options
124»

Replies

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Maybe i am being a bit anal here but i think we are more or less slamming the circumstances around her glamorized weight loss etc.
    I really do feel like this is the wrong way to promote weight loss (The magazine)
    We have a hard enough time as women now accepting our bodies... cause we see a lot of this..

uo18n75yc2lc.jpg

Now.. the girl wanting plastic surgery due to constantly wanting to look like that is not my issue, but as i said before, we got ourselves into this, we crawled out but its not societies job to pay for it, of course all gofundme donations are made on the people donatings own choice but i feel like by doing this its kind of a cop out at the end.. like.. i dunno.. get surgery if you want.. but what exactly could you write on a gofundme page to encourage others to donate? like.. shes got that belly pic but does "I lost a lot of weight and now i have this stomach" really pull at peoples heart strings to a point that they would pay for her surgery like that? I think im more baffled then anything lol

I just feel like people losing weight are going to see this and feel like whats left at the end when your done, be it loose skin or stretch marks is not acceptable and that surgery must be done, we don't have enough real women role models anymore.. She could of been one, she could of lost her weight safely and then privately got surgery if she felt her stomach was a problem area, but save for it.. work hard for it, you can't appreciate something when its given to you like that.. she could of been someone people could relate to, she could of been open about her struggles and body image issues, maybe in the process of saving for this goal learned some things, talk about how hard it is for women alike to accept themselves and love themselves, use the surgery as a voice against the constant image of what a perfect woman should be.. "I got this because i don't feel validated in todays society"

The magazine showed a lot of her before photos, but her after photos were so.. unnatural.. She went from girl next door to paris hilton

I feel like there is going to be a lot of people aiming for 1200 calorie diets now..
    They're going to be excersizing 6 days a week and hitting Net calorie amounts that are unhealthy.
    They're going to be trying to stick to a diet that they can't sustain and once again fail and make this look like another yo-yo diet put in the closet with every other diet they ever tried, only to maybe dust it off some year and try again after they gained their weight back and then some..
    Its not even really great publicity for myfitnesspal because while the site is designed to use excersize calories to eat more this girl didn't even do that..

Just makes me sad.. im all for supporting women but.. I feel like supporting her would be supporting the things around her making her into a mini celebrity and i don't support those things.

What bothers me is that the article says she ate no more than 1200 per day, which to me sort of implies that sometimes she was eating even less...1200 being her absolute max. And when you compound that (below 1200) with all the working out it's even worse.

I do applaud her for her determination because any way you cut it...weight loss is hard, but yeah...it's encouraging others to follow suit. And setting the majority of them up for failure.

That's the issue. Can't argue with her before and after pictures, but that always leads into...how did she do it. In her defense though, she does admit that she lost the weight too fast. BUT...that's her reason for the gofundme. "I lost weight too fast and now look at what's happened to me." I dunno....

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    9j33tz0m1cxf.jpg

One of the pictures from her gofundme, I'm not seeing any loose skin here? Just the naturals fold that happen when you sit down

That is not loose skin, agreed. Loose skin is very thin and papery.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Yeah.. i really dislike my body after my weight loss.. like.. if i wasn't already with someone who was with me since being over weight, i just feel like i would have a hard time being comfortable in my own skin, i mean besides my stomach, my thighs also have the same look, where i used to have love handles also has some "rolls" lol.. my upper arms have loose skin.. like.. i get it, it sucks.. but, its not up to the public to pay for my surgery, if i want it, i will have to save money for it myself, i gained the weight, i am responsible for my bodies condition now.. no one owes me free surgery.

Preach.

I don't have it to the same extent you do, but I have it in all the same places. It sucks, it's the way it is. It's still better than when I was obese. I won't go as far as saying I dislike my body, though. I vastly prefer it to how it used to be.

Oh yes, you are right
    Maybe i should reword lol

I am in semi acceptance of my new body however still adjusting and it will take time, but compared to my 300 pound body i am much more happier how i am now, it will take time to accept myself naked but in general, i was very uncomfortable clothed or naked when i was over weight and very ashamed to even be seen outside.. at this point i think my only hurdle mentally is to make that finally jump to the last stone of embracing my body as it is now.

How long have you been in maintenance? I hear the skin does get a bit better over time.