Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Skinny vs fit

Options
124»

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I dunno. Maybe I'm the shallow *kitten* in the group, but if a person can go from out of shape (be it over weight or skinny or whatever) to in shape (fit or however you want to define that), I have a hard time believing that's not going to improve their overall attractiveness.

yes, those terms (out of shape and fit) are pretty subjective, but the point should be pretty clear.

Do some people prefer an out of shape person (however you want to define that)? Sure. But in shape is going to be more attractive to the vast majority of the population. And, I think, that's what the OP's question was about.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I dunno. Maybe I'm the shallow *kitten* in the group, but if a person can go from out of shape (be it over weight or skinny or whatever) to in shape (fit or however you want to define that), I have a hard time believing that's not going to improve their overall attractiveness.

yes, those terms (out of shape and fit) are pretty subjective, but the point should be pretty clear.

Do some people prefer an out of shape person (however you want to define that)? Sure. But in shape is going to be more attractive to the vast majority of the population. And, I think, that's what the OP's question was about.

I think it depends on what we mean by attracted. Just strictly looks? As in this person looks better than this person? Probably would be more going for the fit person. But if we are talking actually being attracted to the person as in wanting to spend time with I'm not so sure. That type of attraction is usually more from similar interests and lifestyles.
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I find fit more attractive than skinny. But not purely for looks. I find that fit people are more fun to be around.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Fyreside wrote: »
    I find fit more attractive than skinny. But not purely for looks. I find that fit people are more fun to be around.

Except the ones who can't go out because they're at the gym, or won't go to a restaurant because they can't eat the food.
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options

Except the ones who can't go out because they're at the gym, or won't go to a restaurant because they can't eat the food.

That got me thinking, and I can honestly say I've never known anyone who regularly attended a gym. And the only people I've ever actually seen declining food for dietary reasons were vegetarian. I doubt this means anything lol. Just found it mildly curious that I've obviously never been part of those social circles.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Everyone is beautiful in their own way ]

No.

False.

Not True.

Always remember.... beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

That got me thinking, and I can honestly say I've never known anyone who regularly attended a gym. And the only people I've ever actually seen declining food for dietary reasons were vegetarian. I doubt this means anything lol. Just found it mildly curious that I've obviously never been part of those social circles.

seriously?

I am not a "gym" goer myself nor do I compete.

I do it at home and have turned down things (I did just last week) because my workout was more important.

And I've said no to going out to eat because where they were going was way over what I would normally go for...ie calories...and I know it just wouldn't be worth it.

• kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It may not be PC but i would be happy being thin/skinny and not 'fit'
    I just absolutely hate exc. I know its good for me...and I suck it up and get through it
    Ive tried lots of things and just don't enjoy it...
    Im 'only 44..LOL but went to Acadia National Park with my 12/13 yr old this summer and the hiking kicked my *kitten*!
    I realized more than exc is important..stay active....want to keep up with your kids etc
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »

seriously?

I am not a "gym" goer myself nor do I compete.

I do it at home and have turned down things (I did just last week) because my workout was more important.

And I've said no to going out to eat because where they were going was way over what I would normally go for...ie calories...and I know it just wouldn't be worth it.

From my own experience, there is nothing more important in ones life than spending time with family and friends.
    And another thing, no matter the place, there will always be something that you can eat, and restaurants are pretty accommodating these days with people's dietary restrictions.

it depends on what they are doing.

if I can do both great. If I can only do one great..I decide based on what is happening what is most important.

For example going to look at a piece of land that I am not interested in purchasing is not more important than my workout...so I declined.

As for eating out...sure they can be but I can cook better than most and I hate spending money on subpar food...so I decline.

besides why not do that stuff at home or at their house...that doesn't preclude spending time with folks jsut do different things.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options

hey . . . the gym is 'out'.

technically :tongue: unless they're one of those weirdos who work out at home.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

I go to the gym at lunch. Lift or swim depending on the day. It's very easy to work it into my day, it's part of my routine. As the days get shorter and the weather gets nastier, it's becoming more important to get some exercise. Anyway, I've declined work lunches with colleagues because of this. (And because it's time away from work to decompress before I go back for the second half of the day. It's me time.)
  • S0MuchPain
    S0MuchPain Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's different from one person to another's perception of things I would say. Honestly as long a you feel good about you and love yourself skinny or fit doesn't matter. Happy training!