Options
12345679»

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    katoom99 wrote: »
    Also...be careful on ONLY counting Calories! Good weight loss, you need to increase the amount of Protein that they say. I try to get 1 g of protein for EVERY pound of body weight.

i could be wrong on the numbers slightly.. but isnt it .85g to 1g of protein for every pound of LEAN muscle mass you have? not weight in total

Human Nutrition course book, current edition (as I'm enrolled in the class right now), gives 1.7 grams per kg as the absolute maximum "recommended" for athletes in the building muscle phase. Non-athletes have an RDA of 0.8 grams per kilo. 136 lb non-athlete me would get 49.5 grams, nowhere near 1 gram per pound. (Higher amounts "do not appear to be harmful" but not actually necessary, according to the textbook on the subject.)

but is that lean muscle or total body weight because i have always thought it was lean muscle

every site will give you something different. some will say lean body weight, some will say per body weight,another one said when you are losing weight 1g per lb of body weight and 1.7 or 1.8 when trying to build muscle.so I guess it varies. I did a macro calculator and to maintain muscle and lose fat it gives me 1g per lb of weight.

I have heard 0.8-1.2 g per pound of lean mass (which is not the same as lean muscle... muscle is always lean... lean mass includes water, bones and organs and such. Everything but fat).

But I digress. OP, MFP works if you work to make it work. Just like any reasonable weight loss program. I lost and kept my weight off using MFP since 2014. I think that's pretty good. I am gaining it back now, plus probably about 10 more... but I think it's understandable since I'm pregnant. I fully expect MFP will work JUST fine for me once baby comes and it's time to lose what I gained while growing a human.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    katoom99 wrote: »
    Also...be careful on ONLY counting Calories! Good weight loss, you need to increase the amount of Protein that they say. I try to get 1 g of protein for EVERY pound of body weight.

i could be wrong on the numbers slightly.. but isnt it .85g to 1g of protein for every pound of LEAN muscle mass you have? not weight in total

Human Nutrition course book, current edition (as I'm enrolled in the class right now), gives 1.7 grams per kg as the absolute maximum "recommended" for athletes in the building muscle phase. Non-athletes have an RDA of 0.8 grams per kilo. 136 lb non-athlete me would get 49.5 grams, nowhere near 1 gram per pound. (Higher amounts "do not appear to be harmful" but not actually necessary, according to the textbook on the subject.)

but is that lean muscle or total body weight because i have always thought it was lean muscle

every site will give you something different. some will say lean body weight, some will say per body weight,another one said when you are losing weight 1g per lb of body weight and 1.7 or 1.8 when trying to build muscle.so I guess it varies. I did a macro calculator and to maintain muscle and lose fat it gives me 1g per lb of weight.

I have heard 0.8-1.2 g per pound of lean mass (which is not the same as lean muscle... muscle is always lean... lean mass includes water, bones and organs and such. Everything but fat).

But I digress. OP, MFP works if you work to make it work. Just like any reasonable weight loss program. I lost and kept my weight off using MFP since 2014. I think that's pretty good. I am gaining it back now, plus probably about 10 more... but I think it's understandable since I'm pregnant. I fully expect MFP will work JUST fine for me once baby comes and it's time to lose what I gained while growing a human.

I have heard so many different variables that its confusing lol. one site will say per lean mass,one will say per lb of bodyweight,another will say per kg of bodyweight,etc ,etc
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    delete
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    size102b wrote: »

The ww business is just that introducing new plans every January to make more money
    If it's working fur her why change that's what I'm wondering ?

Probably because MFP is free. WW, to use their online tools, is definitely NOT.